Medical Power/Attorney for Nephew?

book_junkie

"Oh dear, what an awkward situation..."
Heya-
We're about 18 driving hours away (3 flying hours) from the rest of our family, and our nieces and nephews are getting to the ages where they are considered (at least by American Airlines) to be allowed to fly solo without the $200+ upcharge and airline babysitter. :cool1: As a test drive for a possible Disney trip down the road, we're flying our nephew (12- soon to be 13) down to stay with us for about a week. First time we're going to have him without the rest of the family, and we're all super excited... :banana: He's got his state ID, and will have his birth certificate and medical insurance info, etc., with him, so I'm not worried about flying or TSA or the airports.

What I'm nervous about is what happens if (God forbid) he needs medical attention while he's with us? :scared1: Is there a form or something anyone out there knows about that we can have his mom (my SIL) sign that will give us basically a temporary medical power of attorney or something over nephew so that if he needs to go to the doctor while he's down here, we can do that and get him treated without butting heads with HIPPA or legal guardianship issues? :sick: I don't plan on breaking him, but working with teens, they usually break themselves regularly... :cool2:

A letter signed by her would be fine because they can call her. She could also go see an attorny or paralegal and have them draw up a power of attorny form for you. I don't know how long that would take or how much it would cost.

He has his card, have a list of his meds(if any), and the letter signed by his mom with all her contact info.

We use this:

I, (mom or dads name), give medical power of attorney for (kids name) to (your name) from (date) through (date).

________________________________ ____________
moms or dads signature date

I, ES, give permission for CJ grandma/grandpa to authorize medical treatment for C&J, during the dates of X-Y.

C&J have no known drug allergies and are not currently taking any medication.

Signature, date

I make sure to include alleriges and medications because those are two of the first questions asked and I don't expect my parents or dh's parents to know these.

ETA: I usually put insurance information and current doctor's name/phone number on there also.

Honestly though, dh's mom took older dd to urgent care once while dh and I were away overnight (and hadn't left a letter) and she was able to seek treatment for an ear infection. She called us to let us know she was taking her and to ask if dd was allergic to anything. She then called us when they were back home to tell us that they gave dd an antibiotic and which one. Urgent care never called us to verify anything.

In the case of an acutal emergency - they will provide treatment with or without consent from the parents (I have witnessed this first hand).

Emily

Have her write a short note and have it NOTARIZED! Our daughter broke her arm when she was with my mother in law and they would no authorize medical attention even with a note (since it wasn't notarized). They said if it was a life threatening emergency they would have but a broken arm and child in pain didn't count. It took me hours before I could get there and she had to wait even after talking to me on the phone.. :confused:

EDIT: We were told a blood grandparent would have been ok... but a nephew wouldn't fall into that category as the step mother in law so have it notorized. My theory is notary is free most times and is better to have it then not now. Since then our parents all have a letter in their wallet just in case.

We always use a letter like the one above but take it a step further and get it notarized. Your bank will usually do it for free. If our kids arid going or if we are taking extra kids we provide this or ask the parents for it.

Have her write a short note and have it NOTARIZED! Our daughter broke her arm when she was with my mother and they would no authorize medical attention even with a note (since it wasn't notarized). They said if it was a life threatening emergency they would have but a broken arm and child in pain didn't count. It took me hours before I could get there and she had to wait even after talking to me on the phone.. :confused:

This. Have the mom type up a short note, go to a UPS store with a notary, and sign it in front of the notary to witness and notarize.

For sure have it notarized. Be sure to word it in a way that includes making all medical decisions not just emergency ones (think that ear infection).

Also be sure that the person caring for you child knows all the allergies and medications etc. There is always the chance an emergency will happen when the letter is not right there.

They may also need your child's SS number, his weight, any past medical history. insurance card,

After all that, I took D(G)S to the ER and everyone just assumed he was mine and I signed for treatment and to pay and provided all the correct info and no one questioned it:idea:. I do carry all the above info and D(G)S lives with us so I know his whole medical history.

I always send a notarized letter with my DD every time she goes to visit my mom. It says basically the same thing as the PPs have said...it has my name, DD's name, DOB and SSN and that i give full medical power of attorney to her during the dates of whatever her time there will be.

We always use a letter like the one above but take it a step further and get it notarized. Your bank will usually do it for free. If our kids arid going or if we are taking extra kids we provide this or ask the parents for it.

Call your bank first to be sure they have one on hand that can notarize the document you want done. I just learned (though my cousin who is one of her banks notaries) that not all notaries are insured to sign all documents. She can only sign specific items due to this.

So yea, just a general warning for people. Call before you make the trip! Even though I would guess this would be something where it wouldn't be an issue, better to be safe then sorry!

Thanks for everyone's help! Forms are in the mail for SIL to sign!

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter