• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Medical Insurance/Hospital billing question

You've been given a lot of great advice. I have two points of information to add to the discussion.

1) Each time you talk to the insurance company or the hospital, request information in writing. That gives you a paper trail in case anything goes wrong. In your case, the first thing you need to do is ask Tricare to send you a letter explaining why your claim was denied.

2) If you ever owe money to a hospital, ask for a payment plan. They will work with you. I made the mistake of handing over my credit card & later found out that I could have made small monthly payments to the hospital with no interest. They, of course, will not offer this. You have to ask.

Good luck with everything. I hope your son gets the treatment he needs with minimal hassle.

Are you near a MTF now or any branch of the military installation? If you are near a MTF or a installation, go talk to the tri-care office AND go talk to the EFMP personnel. The EFMP can help you wade through the paperwork to a point.

If you call back to Tricare, skip the first level of the customer service and go to referral management. I know it's not a referral problem but they will be able to help figure out the procedure. Ask if you need to fill out any other forms from Tricare to get the testing covered.

I had a major surgery last year and all paperwork was filled and Tricare approved before I had my ankle surgery. The surgery was out on the economy and the bills started to roll in for 10k here another 8k there and all said and done it was close to 27k. I received a denied letter from Tricare because one form was not filled out which they never mailed. I called freaking out about the denial because I was getting all these bills in the mail. Tricare customer service was like don't worry we will take care of it. Anyways, they did ultimately pay out for everything but it took the surgery center, doctor office and other offices to billing repeatedly.

Now that you are going to be seeing civilian doctors, make sure you understand all the rules from Tricare and it's more confusing because you are using Tricare 4 Life I'm guessing. EVERYTHING needs to be pre-approved and remember if you are near a MTF you can take the prescription for the test to the MTF to be done.

Unfortunately, we are more the 100 miles from an MTF. That is a good idea though, we could take a drive over and talk to a Tricare rep. No, we aren't Tricare for LIfe, we are Tricare Prime remote, which will be changed to Standard October 1. They are removing the remote option for retirees. I'm glad you were able to get your surgery costs covered, that is a lot of money!

You've been given a lot of great advice. I have two points of information to add to the discussion.

1) Each time you talk to the insurance company or the hospital, request information in writing. That gives you a paper trail in case anything goes wrong. In your case, the first thing you need to do is ask Tricare to send you a letter explaining why your claim was denied.

2) If you ever owe money to a hospital, ask for a payment plan. They will work with you. I made the mistake of handing over my credit card & later found out that I could have made small monthly payments to the hospital with no interest. They, of course, will not offer this. You have to ask.

Good luck with everything. I hope your son gets the treatment he needs with minimal hassle.

Good points. I do have one thing to add. Do not remit any money to the hospital unless you are 100% positive your insurance company does not cover it. Even if they ask you for a "good faith payment" to keep the account from going to collections until the insurance payment is received, don't do it. I am sure everything will work out. I hope your son's treatment goes well.

I would recommend you calling the insurance company once again and explaining that you have been told that your claim has been declined but you were not responsible for that. Always be in contact with your physician and insurance company so that you always be updated about complete claim management process.

My Dr. ordered genetic testing for me (for a muscle disease) at an out of network lab (only 1 lab in the US does it) so they told me to call my insurance and see if it would be covered. I did and it isn't so I didn't do it because the cost is $2000.00 and it's not that important to me to know! It isn't always the Dr who needs to get an authorization.
Like the others have said, speak to the billing manager and have them rebill with any needed info. You could call your insurance co first and ask them exactly what they need.

Make phone calls to get information on what is needed and to confirm addresses and such, but submit all requests for consideration/reconsideration in writing. Do what your EOBs and insurance website tell you to do to protest denials. Phone calls do not protect your rights. Ask the providers to copy you on everything. Go pick up reports and such if necessary.

Our insurance makes EOBs available online. I only print them if there's a payment problem.

TRICARE is government And a pain in the you know what. I had to settle an estate for a retired Air Force officer. After sending them the death certificate and copy of the trust they come back and say they need a copy of the probated will. Boy what I had to go through to educate them that a trust does not go through probate. Sometimes you wonder if this is all a delaying action to slow down payment.

Yikes. I would think five statements is 5 months, so you have a bit of time before they will do anything. What the insurance company says sounds true. I would call the insurance company in a week and make sure they have received all the medical information needed. If they have not call the provider billing department ASAP. That $3000.00 is not a realistic number, that would be what you pay if you do not have insurance. The insurance company has contracts to what they pay and if you are covered, they will pay that amount. I would not stress about it but I would keep my eye on it. Just curious, did the procedure require pre-authorization?

P.S. If the hospital failed to get pre-authorization for a procedure that they are under contract for with the participating insurance carrier, they are responsible. It is not your job to submit the medical information, that is their job.

This is not true 5 statements could be less than 90 days. Also it is the responsibility of the member not provider to verify that all medical necessity information has been received. If the provider was worried about their customer service reputation they would adjust off the charges. However you can help by having the ordering physian supply the documentation as to why the test was medically necessary. TriCare is notorious for denying claims the first time around.

Unfortunately, we are more the 100 miles from an MTF. That is a good idea though, we could take a drive over and talk to a Tricare rep. No, we aren't Tricare for LIfe, we are Tricare Prime remote, which will be changed to Standard October 1. They are removing the remote option for retirees. I'm glad you were able to get your surgery costs covered, that is a lot of money!

Just speaking from experience, just seeing the words Prime remote, you know prior authorization must be obtained unless life threatening.

Yes, One more thing, Insurance companies now hold their complete work online and some of the information like EOBs are available on their websites. So if you ever face payment delays then check their websites that saves time and also easy to retrieve.

Were services required to be pre-authorized? If so, the clinic where prior authorization was requested should have received an authorization number. If the facility billed without that number on the claim, ask them to resubmit. Request that number for your appeal if you need it. Most often, clinics will request prior authorization on behalf of patients, but ultimately, the insured is responsible to make sure prior authorization is obtained and could be held responsible for the bill if that doesn't happen. Sometimes, due to a clerical error by the facility or by the insurance company, that authorization number may be missed on the claim. Sometimes it can be as simple as calling the insurance company with the number.

In the future, if there are tests/services ordered, I would check beforehand to find out for sure if authorization is required, make sure the office obtained authorization, and request a copy of the authorization number and the date authorization was received (you should also receive a letter from the insurance company with that information). You'll want that information if you ever have to file an appeal. Except in an emergency situation, I personally wouldn't have a procedure/test that requires authorization done until I knew for sure that it was authorized, not even if someone says they are "in the process of obtaining authorization" or authorization is pending.

On a side note, it can be a good idea to make sure of whether the physician/hospital, etc. is in network. I've seen denials where the hospital is in network, but the ED doc who saw the patient isn't, so the facility bill is paid as in-network but the doctor's bill is denied or paid as out of network with a higher deductible and patient responsibility. I find that infuriating - who has time during an emergency to check into such a thing? I've seen it with Physical therapy, too. The hospital was in network for inpatient visits, but outpatient physical therapy was not, resulting in an out-of-network fee. The insurance company and facility will both just say it's the patient's responsibility to know their coverage, as convoluted and confusing as that can be.

Have you received an EOB? That EOB should state the reason for denial if a charge is denied, and it will also include the patient's responsibillity. If it says the patient responsibility is $0, or only a portion of the $3000, I would go back to the hospital's billing department and refer them to the EOB. They have contracts in place with the insurance company and shouldn't be billing you for more than what the EOB says is your responsibility.

If the claim was denied, both you and the hospital should receive a denial letter from the insurance company explaining why it was denied and the appeal process. Often, it will also state whether a patient can be billed for the denied services. If you haven't received a denial letter but you were told it was denied, call and request a copy from the insurance company. If it's a medical necessity denial or a denial for lack of pre-authorization, work with the billing department and physician to get the documentation you need to support the test. Be mindful of timeframes listed in the denial letter. Ask if there is someone in the billing department or in the hospital who handles denials - that person may be able to assist you with the process.

Good luck, OP. I used to write appeal letters on behalf of a hospital and sometimes specific patients, and I know how confusing it can be. Hope it all turns out okay.

OP, we are going thru the same thing. DS needed a test to see if he had a genetic disorder before having some surgery later in the year. I just had our family doctor do it, and of course it isn't covered by our insurance (Aetna), because it is a genetic test. Thank goodness we didn't have the blood test done at our hospital, because our bill for the test is only $266.

I'm hoping there are some medical insurance experts on here who can give me some advice. The scenario is:

My son was diagnosed with a genetic disorder a couple of months ago. The geneticist suggested a test for the gene. We did the test on May 15. The insurance company turned down the charge (even though it states in their handbook that the test is cover - company is Tricare, Humana). I receive a bill from the hospital for over $3000.

I call the insurance company. A very nice young man tells me that even though it states in the manual that it is covered, Humana routinely turns it down until proof of medical benefit is submitted. He also says that I'm not responsible for paying it if it is turned down (not sure why).

Today, the hospital's billing department calls me. The bill isn't even due for another week. I tell the young lady what the insurance company said. She said if the balance isn't paid during the next five statements, it will be turned over to a collections agency, no matter what the insurance company says.

That's my story. Anyone know what I should do? Do I wait? All advice is appreciated!

Yes, wait. Keep working with your insurance company and make sure they get whatever paperwork they need. I certainly would't pay a bill that clearly shows is covered under the plan.

For what it's worth, hospital and medical collections do not show up on your credit report. I mention this because that is usually the concern if a bill goes unpaid. I would call the hospital back and explain to them that it is covered by insurance and have them help you get the paperwork if needed. Otherwise, I would talk to the insurance company and doctors office to get the paperwork done properly.

You have received good advice. Take notes. Keep all paperwork. Remain calm. Make regular phone calls. Be polite and relaxed. It's not going to go away on its own, but most billing clerks deal with this all day long, so it is part of the job. Be sure to get the name of each person you speak with - it helps to not have to repeat the entire story each time you call. Remain calm. Remember, it's just business and it has to be handled in a professional manner. Find out why it was denied, and get it fixed. Your new best friend is in the billing department.

> > > Even if you have an authorization, be sure the billing department has used the correct procedure code. (That's happened to me more than once.) Make sure the billing has the sponsor's SSN on it, not the patient's. (That's happened to me more than once.) Make sure the billing department is sending the bill to the correct Tri-Care Service Area. (Yep, that has happened to me more than once also.)< < <

We are retired about six years now, and EVERY time I have to deal with Tri-Care Prime for anything non-routine, there is some kind of issue. It's just "down the rabbit hole," and they don't make it easy.

Good luck -
Maddle

I hope your son is doing well.

The ins company might of said you wouldn't be responsible because the Dr or hospital didn't send in the right information in the time frame allowed.
I received a bill from a Dr for an outstanding bill. I called the insurance company and they told me they didn't pay it because the Dr office didn't submit the claim in the amount of time given so it's the Dr office fault and I'm not responsible for it.

Good luck, it's not fun having to deal with insurance company's and billing offices.

This exact scenario happened to me this week for an MRI. The insurance company denied and said I am not responsible due wording in the contract they have with the provider. Still worried I will be in the same situation as the OP and receive a bill for $3,000 and sent to collections.
Good luck OP! Definitely stressful to deal with insurance matters.

Last year I had a procedure done at a hospital. A few months later the hospital’s billing department informed me that the claim was denied.

Turns out the hospital put the claim through on the wrong insurance – they used a plan I was on over six years ago (the last time I had anything done at the hospital).

My doctor has my current insurance information, and they scanned my insurance card at the hospital on the day of the procedure, so I am not sure how this happened, but the woman from the hospital’s billing department didn't seem surprised that the insurance info was never updated in the billing system (the comment was it happens sometimes).

They resubmitted with the correct insurance, and the claim was paid.

Since you already spoke to the insurance company I doubt this is your issue, but it can’t hurt to verify that the hospital submitted the bill to the correct insurance company/policy number.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter