• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Medical ID

Ellenp

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone~I have been so busy planning for my children, that I didn't think about my own ID. As an epileptic I wear a chain with my name, home telephone, medicines, and Doctor name and telephone number. Should I have a chain made that lists my son's cellphone number in case I am separated my family? Do you have any additional ideas for me? Thanks-WDW in June!!

Hi
I wear a bracelet from Medic Alert, this organization keeps a file on you so that with one easy phone call they can access pertinent information.
For example I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III hypermobility, hardly anyone knows what this is so my bracelet gives the name of my disease, the fact that I have mitral valve prolapse and that I am allergic to steroids. The accompanying card that comes with the bracelet goes more into my medical history and a brief thumbnail on what EDS is as well as any medications that I am using, my health insurance company, my doctors name and phone number and an emergency number.

Its a great service there is an annual fee of I believe 15.00.

When I go to the parks I wear the bracelet and carry the card with my park tickets.

If you would like there web address I can email it to you.
Hope this gives some ideas to you

Medic alert is the opldest and best known organization. It's good becasue it's not only a little tag that lists whatever condition you have, but it gives a phone number that can give specific information about you. Knowing you are an epileptic would be helpful for emergency care people, but being able to access some medical information about you, including your doctor's name, etc. could save your life.
CLICK HERE for the Medic Alert website.]

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Thanks you for responses. I had used medical alert for over 20 years before changing 2 years ago. The biggest reason for changing was the fact the initial responding emergency personnel did not look for the bracelet. Thankfully the ambulance driver found it, but I was disappointed when I found this out later. I had someone remark to my husband that the necklace would have been better as they cut open my shirt to get heart readings before examining the rest of my body. I guess I'm looking for any tips that can put someone in touch with a family member asap in WDW if separated. So far, the best is carrying an ID with hotel #'s and cellphone numbers.

I am disappointed and surprised that the EMS people didn't look for your Medic Alert bracelet. I have been a nurse for over 20 years and that was one of the first things we were told to look for if we came upon an unconscious person. It is also taught in CPR training, (after you make sure the person is breathing and has a heartbeat) so I don't know why the people who repsonded to your emergency didn't look for it.
Anyway, there was a thread on the Family Board that had to do with putting ID on kids. There might be some info in there that would give you some ideas.
Link to Family Board thread.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter