• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Medical help, please???

kathy87

Mouseketeer
Here is a little history... My DS14 was accidentally choked last March and was admitted to the hospital with a pneumomediastinum. Since then he has had 4 recurrent pneumomediastinums and a weight loss of 20 pounds. He is asthmatic but other than that is pretty healthy. We saw his Pulmonologist today but he seems to be at a loss. He ran some blood work and is going to speak with some colleagues about the case. Any thoughts or experience with this? I am feeling pretty discouraged that I can't help him:sad2:

Did they mention a possible tear of the esphogus or treachea could be the cause? if so did they do an diagnositic test to rule this possiblity in or out?

Very sorry to read about your son. What a scary situation!

For pneumomediastinum to develop, there has to be an air leak in one of the structures that course thru the mediastinum. The most likely possibility is from the trachea. Has he had a lower airway scope? If not, I would request one. I would also ask about an MRI or CT to have a closer look at the mediastinum.

For the weight loss, is he eating ok? Any trouble swallowing/regurgitating? The esophagus also goes through the mediastinum & if the esophagus was damaged in the choking, he could have a narrowing etc.

Please find the right doctor to get to the bottom of this. A pulmonologist who is stumped by pneumomediastinum should seek other opinions.

Best wishes to you & your son.
Christiane.

Did they mention a possible tear of the esphogus or treachea could be the cause? if so did they do an diagnositic test to rule this possiblity in or out?

Yes a tear or a hole that would have to be repaired. Has he had a CT scan?

Thank you for the quick responses. He was scoped when the injury originally occurred. My son does have trouble eating when he has what I call an episode. I have to admit he is not the same kid. His activity has dropped along with his appetite. He also had a chest and neck CT that showed the pneumomediastinum but the neck was clear. He hasn't had one since.

Thank you for the quick responses. He was scoped when the injury originally occurred. My son does have trouble eating when he has what I call an episode. I have to admit he is not the same kid. His activity has dropped along with his appetite. He also had a chest and neck CT that showed the pneumomediastinum but the neck was clear. He hasn't had one since.

I would see what the pulmonologist suggests after he seeks other opinions. But I would give him a time-limit to have a plan for your son. Like yesterday!

I would also ask to have the scoping & CT repeated. After a year, they might find something that wasn't obvious right after the injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter