• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Medical Fridge

lazydazy8

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We have planned a surprise trip for our kids for their Christmas gift. We are DVC members so we typically have a fridge in our room. My son was recently diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. Having a fridge enables us to to not only keep his insulin and cold packs cold for carrying his insulin, but also keep milk cold which he often takes when he needs a boost to his glucose levels.

We are staying at All Star Music this trip (couldn't resist the AP discount). I requested a fridge and explained why and the CM (not so friendly guy that I've dealt with over the phone before) told me the medical fridge was the size of a loaf of bread and would not house a half gallon of milk.

Does anyone have experience with this and can confirm the size of the fridge? Don't the resorts also rent mini fridges that I could request (for a fee)?

TIA!

Amy

I don't know what this guy is talking about we had a medical fridge as I am diabetic at all star sports this summer. It's a mini fridge, I mean it is small but I fit my insulin, milk but not the large one is it a quart? About 6 waters in it I mean it's small but it would fit the smaller milk or is it a pint? I am drawing a blank LOL on the size of the milk but I would get it. Thanks!

We have always had the medical fridge at the all stars. It is small- but if you got the plastic half gallon that you can lay down- it would fit. There would still be room on the shelf for the meds- and there is room on the door too. It would be way enough room for what you need- sounds like he was talking you into paying.....

In your shoes I would bring the Horizon Milk that is single serving (kind of like a juice box but different shape). Then you have it as needed and it's easy to fit into an extra small fridge. GL!!!

There are two sizes of fridges. The one the CM was talking about (which is sometimes given out as a medical fridge) is about the size of a shoe box. It is designed to fit medications, but not food. Sometimes, people requesting a fridge for a medical need do get the normal dorm sized fridge (the kind you'd get if you paid for it), but sometimes they get the shoebox sized one.

Thank you for the feedback. I suppose maybe i should call and make sure it will fit. The guy was a little snarky, perhaps thinking I was trying to scam a free fridge for our food!

Thanks for the feedback!!

Hi all,

We have planned a surprise trip for our kids for their Christmas gift. We are DVC members so we typically have a fridge in our room. My son was recently diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. Having a fridge enables us to to not only keep his insulin and cold packs cold for carrying his insulin, but also keep milk cold which he often takes when he needs a boost to his glucose levels.

We are staying at All Star Music this trip (couldn't resist the AP discount). I requested a fridge and explained why and the CM (not so friendly guy that I've dealt with over the phone before) told me the medical fridge was the size of a loaf of bread and would not house a half gallon of milk.

Does anyone have experience with this and can confirm the size of the fridge? Don't the resorts also rent mini fridges that I could request (for a fee)?

TIA!

Amy

The medical fridge is small. My friend had to have one in October when she stayed at POP and we helped them get their stuff to the room. I don't think it would really hold a half gallon of milk.

Size of medical fridge is small. This fridge uses to keep medicines and other stuffs like fruits etc.

All resorts have fridges so no need for a medical one . Was just there in March it fit my husbands insulin and milk pop cold we were at Pop !And yes it kept everything cold

All resorts have fridges so no need for a medical one . Was just there in March it fit my husbands insulin and milk pop cold we were at Pop !And yes it kept everything cold

All resorts may have fridges available to rent for a fee per night, but not all resorts have a fridge in every room. Therefore a medical fridge is necessary if someone wants a fridge only for medication or small medically necessary food items.

All resorts may have fridges available to rent for a fee per night, but not all resorts have a fridge in every room. Therefore a medical fridge is necessary if someone wants a fridge only for medication or small medically necessary food items.

All rooms should now have fridges - it was due to be completed in the last couple of months

All rooms should now have fridges - it was due to be completed in the last couple of months

Well, on the Disney site, they still have it listed as an extra fee for a fridge, so I'm guessing that means they are not in all the rooms yet.

My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes and when I booked our room the CM told us that all rooms now have fridges. This was a few weeks ago for our upcoming trip in July.

My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes and when I booked our room the CM told us that all rooms now have fridges. This was a few weeks ago for our upcoming trip in July.

You should be fine. If for some strange reason you don't have a fridge or your fridge is too small or anything go to the front desk (don't call because you just get the main switchboard) and explain the situation and they will get you a new one.

what resort are you staying at?

You should be fine. If for some strange reason you don't have a fridge or your fridge is too small or anything go to the front desk (don't call because you just get the main switchboard) and explain the situation and they will get you a new one.

what resort are you staying at?

POP :) I specifically asked if I could rent one, and he assured me they all have the mini fridge's now.

Well, on the Disney site, they still have it listed as an extra fee for a fridge, so I'm guessing that means they are not in all the rooms yet.

The Disney site is horribly outdated about a lot of things. All of the resorts have fridges now.

Hi all,

Ive had a medical fridge for the last 3 yrs at a value and have stored meds, two half gallons of milk and some soda in them!!! So I don't know what he's talking about. :confused3

I can confirm that POP most definitely has the fridges (they did in March). I *think* the Disney site said that they were supposed to be the last to get them, too.

A gallon of milk and plenty of meds would definitely fit in the size fridge they have - bigger than the square dorm ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter