• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Med ports on your own - 2011

I cannot figure out the right answer here. I see my 3-year-old will travel free on the trains/metro/bus in Rome and to Rome but do my older two need a BIRG ticket?

I've read where under 12 can ride free on the train but I think that's just if you buy a regular fare. Can anyone advise me what I need to buy for them when we are in Civitavecchia?

Thanks!

Hey ya'll....I am trying to plan Cinque Terre on our own (by both train & boat) and am trying to search the train schedules on Trenitalia. I have looked on RailEurope before & don't remember running into this. :confused3 Anyway, when I plug in the departure (La Spezia) and destination (Monterosso) it tells me there are 3 stations in La Spezia. Anybody know WHICH ONE we want?? The choices are: Centrale, Main and Migliania.

I really need to get an accurate schedule because our cruise is in this port on Monday, August 15 which is a National Holiday in Italy.:eek: I've heard more than once that the trains will be running on a holiday schedule (ie fewer trains) so I'm trying to figure out what THAT schedule will be. I've also heard that the Italians will be flocking to the shore for the day in DROVES so I want to be prepared for crowds & want to allow plenty of time to do this on our own. We're still 2 months out so I don't know if the train schedules are updated for that far out yet. They may not be accurate this far out. :confused3

Hey ya'll....I am trying to plan Cinque Terre on our own (by both train & boat) and am trying to search the train schedules on Trenitalia. I have looked on RailEurope before & don't remember running into this. :confused3 Anyway, when I plug in the departure (La Spezia) and destination (Monterosso) it tells me there are 3 stations in La Spezia. Anybody know WHICH ONE we want?? The choices are: Centrale, Main and Migliania.

Centrale

THANK YOU!!! :worship: Any idea when their schedules will be final? I fear I need to keep checking on them every week!!!

Not sure but I would say that within 30 days of travel they are pretty much final. I woudn't buy tickets in advance because if you miss the train for the time you reserved it you will need to purchase a new ticket and they may not refund the other

I cannot figure out the right answer here. I see my 3-year-old will travel free on the trains/metro/bus in Rome and to Rome but do my older two need a BIRG ticket?

I've read where under 12 can ride free on the train but I think that's just if you buy a regular fare. Can anyone advise me what I need to buy for them when we are in Civitavecchia?

Thanks!

Children in Rome are free on trains until 4 and on buses/metro until 10, so you should be fine.

Annie,
I have found ItaliaRail.com to be a little more user friendly than Trenitalia because it is in English.

If it's any help at all for those doing Cinque Terre by train, we just got off the May 28 Med cruise.

The little ticket office that sells the Cinque Terre pass was exceptionally busy - we got there at around 9.40am (we were on the first open tender at around 9am) and had to queue 30 minutes to buy the ticket and then because of the delay ended up having to wait 40 minutes for the next train.

it is worth aiming to get an early tender ticket and getting to the station asap in case of long queues.

We were there on a Saturday and the weather forecast was for rain in the afternoon (although it didn't actually rain). I'd imagine it will be busier further into summer with better weather forecasts.

Also some of the footpaths are closed due to landslides. There was no apparent work being done to clear them either. The walks from Vernazza to Corniglia and from Corniglia to Manarola were closed.

The lover's walk between Manarola and Riomaggiore was open though.

We liked Corniglia the best (had great tasting and cheap gelato there) but be warned there's a lot of steps up to the village.

If it's any help at all for those doing Cinque Terre by train, we just got off the May 28 Med cruise.

The little ticket office that sells the Cinque Terre pass was exceptionally busy - we got there at around 9.40am (we were on the first open tender at around 9am) and had to queue 30 minutes to buy the ticket and then because of the delay ended up having to wait 40 minutes for the next train.

it is worth aiming to get an early tender ticket and getting to the station asap in case of long queues.

We were there on a Saturday and the weather forecast was for rain in the afternoon (although it didn't actually rain). I'd imagine it will be busier further into summer with better weather forecasts.

Also some of the footpaths are closed due to landslides. There was no apparent work being done to clear them either. The walks from Vernazza to Corniglia and from Corniglia to Manarola were closed.

The lover's walk between Manarola and Riomaggiore was open though.

We liked Corniglia the best (had great tasting and cheap gelato there) but be warned there's a lot of steps up to the village.

Thank you - very helpful

Where in the train station is in the tourist office to buy the Cinque Terre card?

I guess an option if the line is too long would be to just buy a train ticket from a machine and then buy the park pass when you get off the train. I guess it would cost more but the day is so short and to wait another 40 minutes might make it worth the cost.

:headache: I was afraid of this. I gots lots of questions!!:goodvibes

So you did Cinque Terre on your own and were able to get onto the first "Open Tender"? And what time do you recommend going in order to get one of the tix to be on the first tender? Was anybody outside of DCL excursions allowed to go on any earlier tenders or were they reserved only for DCL excursions? What time did you actually end up making it onto a train? Did you start in the first town or did you go to Monterosso & work your way back? I wanted to go to Monterosso first & spend the morning on the beach there then go to Vernazza for lunch. Then work our way back using a combination of the ferry & train. Since they were calling for rain were the ferry boats running??

Question - Did anyone try to purchase tickets at the National Parks office at the train station in La Spezia? I know that this is an option beside the regular ticket office

I was also wondering if we could purchase both a ticket to Pisa and the Cinque Terre card at the same time to save time later on? Kids want to see the leaning tower (not climb it) so thought we would head out there first, spend about two hours in Pisa then head to Cinque Terre

Question - Did anyone try to purchase tickets at the National Parks office at the train station in La Spezia? I know that this is an option beside the regular ticket office

I was also wondering if we could purchase both a ticket to Pisa and the Cinque Terre card at the same time to save time later on? Kids want to see the leaning tower (not climb it) so thought we would head out there first, spend about two hours in Pisa then head to Cinque Terre

DH wanted to go to Pisa too to see the tower but I figured if we're gonna spend an hour to get there we should climb it too.:confused3 I wanted to do Cinque Terre but wasn't sure about the timing on the trains to try to do both since we're there on a holiday. I would like to know if any of the early Med cruisers try to do both on their own & how it works out for them!! I think I'll go add this question to that other thread...

DH wanted to go to Pisa too to see the tower but I figured if we're gonna spend an hour to get there we should climb it too.:confused3 I wanted to do Cinque Terre but wasn't sure about the timing on the trains to try to do both since we're there on a holiday. I would like to know if any of the early Med cruisers try to do both on their own & how it works out for them!! I think I'll go add this question to that other thread...

I have been to Pisa, DH and kids have not. Up until a couple of days ago we weren't planning on going but kids said they wanted to see the tower. I asked if they wanted to climb it and after hearing my sister talk about when she did it they said no thanks. I am not fond of heights and having to walk holding onto the wall as you go is not my idea of fun ;)

I would rather take the time that it would have taken us to do the climb to do the duomo and baptistry.

We aren't hiking the Cinque Terre so there is time saved there. DH can't do the hike. We will do the walk between the two first towns but training it the rest of the time

I know we will be back to visit Italy so anything we don't get done this time we will next time. It is a place we all enjoy visiting. I was born there and have been back a few times.

That's essentially what we are doing...going to Pisa first thing in the morning so the kids can see it then heading right back to Vernazza. If the kids weren't so excited to see it I would spend the whole day in Cinque Terre for sure. I think with my kids' ages and aging grandparents ;) we will just walk around Vernazza and have a nice, late lunch there. I think we will have plenty of time to do this...

Last year, there was this thread: Cinque Terre & Leaning Tower - doable?? Link.

I posted this information:

Two weeks ago, we spent three nights in the Cinque Terre and loved it. Others have already posted some sound advice.

We stayed in Vernazza. At the time, the hiking trail (Trail 2) between Vernazza and Monterosso was closed due to landslides.

At your first CT town, get a train schedule at the station. With a schedule, it is easy to go from one town to another. Make sure you board the right trains, as some "express" trains do not stop at each town.

A one-way train ticket in the CT is a bargain at 1.30 EUR, and is good for six hours in one direction. So, for example, you could buy it at Riomaggiore, and go to Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso -- all on the same ticket. Roundtrip is 2.60 EUR, and would allow you to mix up the order.

We especially enjoyed the Manarola Vineyard Hike (difficulty level: easy). The views are spectacular, and the hike ends with a picturesque view of the tiny harbor. It's one of my favorite photos from the entire vacation.

Woody

Last year, there was this thread: Cinque Terre & Leaning Tower - doable?? Link.

I posted this information:

Originally Posted by woody73
Two weeks ago, we spent three nights in the Cinque Terre and loved it. Others have already posted some sound advice.

We stayed in Vernazza. At the time, the hiking trail (Trail 2) between Vernazza and Monterosso was closed due to landslides.

At your first CT town, get a train schedule at the station. With a schedule, it is easy to go from one town to another. Make sure you board the right trains, as some "express" trains do not stop at each town.

A one-way train ticket in the CT is a bargain at 1.30 EUR, and is good for six hours in one direction. So, for example, you could buy it at Riomaggiore, and go to Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso -- all on the same ticket. Roundtrip is 2.60 EUR, and would allow you to mix up the order.

We especially enjoyed the Manarola Vineyard Hike (difficulty level: easy). The views are spectacular, and the hike ends with a picturesque view of the tiny harbor. It's one of my favorite photos from the entire vacation.

Woody

Did the train ticket give you access to the vineyard hike? What about the via dell'amore between Riomaggiore and Manarola? We don't plan on doing any other hike, we will travel by train in between towns

Just wondering if we have to purchase anything other than the regular train ticket that is valid for 6 hours

Was looking at purchasing the Cinque Terre train card for 8,5 euros each and also includes use of the buses from the train station to the main square of the towns in case the town is a quite a walk away from the train station

I have been to Pisa, DH and kids have not. Up until a couple of days ago we weren't planning on going but kids said they wanted to see the tower. I asked if they wanted to climb it and after hearing my sister talk about when she did it they said no thanks. I am not fond of heights and having to walk holding onto the wall as you go is not my idea of fun ;)

I would rather take the time that it would have taken us to do the climb to do the duomo and baptistry.

We aren't hiking the Cinque Terre so there is time saved there. DH can't do the hike. We will do the walk between the two first towns but training it the rest of the time

I know we will be back to visit Italy so anything we don't get done this time we will next time. It is a place we all enjoy visiting. I was born there and have been back a few times.

When do you go? Can you let me know how doing both works out for you? I am especially nervous about what TIME we'll actually be able to get on a train AND we're there on a holiday (August 15th) and I am concerned the train schedule will be reduced. That's a big reason why I thought we might just plan on one or the other. I would probably be happy seeing Pisa then Monterosso & Vernazza at a minimum. But I get worried about not making it back to the port at a good hour (I don't want to cut it too close - we did that once in Puerto Vallarta & I was really nervous that our taxi wouldn't make it back on time & our DS (8 at the time) was on the ship while we were out shopping!) We made it but with less than 30 minutes until all aboard. I'd prefer an hour to be safe.

When do you go? Can you let me know how doing both works out for you? I am especially nervous about what TIME we'll actually be able to get on a train AND we're there on a holiday (August 15th) and I am concerned the train schedule will be reduced. That's a big reason why I thought we might just plan on one or the other. I would probably be happy seeing Pisa then Monterosso & Vernazza at a minimum. But I get worried about not making it back to the port at a good hour (I don't want to cut it too close - we did that once in Puerto Vallarta & I was really nervous that our taxi wouldn't make it back on time & our DS (8 at the time) was on the ship while we were out shopping!) We made it but with less than 30 minutes until all aboard. I'd prefer an hour to be safe.

We go next week, June 18th
I will post on how it worked out

I think you should have a plan A and a plan B because the trains will be on a holiday schedule and will not be operating as often. I would suggest not doing the climb to save time if you do end up doing both

According to the updates on Rick Steves site, the one-way train ticket in Cinque Terre is no longer valid for 6 hours, but only 75 minutes. So it is less useful for hopping on and off along the towns. The Cinque Terre Treno card now costs 10 euros and the card including both trains and boats is no longer sold, he says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter