Med Cruise - Advice on Extending Trip

hankt10k

Earning My Ears
We are booked on a Med cruise for next July. Now we're thinking of extending the trip (either before or after the cruise) and I'm looking for some advice.

First, we booked everything through Disney so if we go with the extended trip, I'll have to cancel the flights that I booked through them. Should I go with a travel agent to book flights and hotels or am I better off trying to do that on my own?

Next, and more importantly, what advice would you have for a 4 - 5 day stay in Europe? Do we keep it convenient and stay in Barcelona? Do we do Disneyland in Paris? Maybe try to use the train and do multiple cities?

Never been to Europe so any suggestions would be appreicated.

Thank You,
Hank T.

I use this site for hotel, car, rail, flights, etc. in europe :
www.avantidestinations.com

They are a really good company and can package together the flight, hotel, etc. You can play around and add componants and see what the price would be.

If you call them, the reservation agents have usually been to a lot of places in europe and can suggest when to use rail, etc.

We used the Eurail a few years ago, and it was the best! We went all over in 14 days. Having been to Europe a number of times, I personally would pick one or two places at the most if you only want to stay 4-5 more days.

Barcelona is BEAUTIFUL. If you do stay there, be sure to go to Monserrat. It is an amazing old monestary. There is even a hotel or two up there where you could stay overnight. We did that and then visited some more beautiful churches on the way back to Barcelona.

That being said, I LOVE, LOVE the City of Light. You could easily get to Paris and then spend the 4-5 days there. Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Monets Garden....I could go on!!!!

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!

Joyce

I think it depends on what age children are that are travelling with you and also what you want to see.
Paris is not very exciting for children but London has more to offer (perhaps I am biased) most people enjoy the Tower, changing of the guard and depending on when youre cruise is Buckingham Palace could be open for visitors and the Royal Mews with the gold state coach is also open. Windsor Castle is open all year and the flight from LGW or Heathrow is very quick.

Hi Hank ... Have you checked out the Combined Med Thread. A lot of interesting information is out there, plus most cruises have their own meet thread! Which cruise are you going on? If you are on the July 7th one, check out the link in my signature.

Hi Hank - We are flying into London prior to the cruise. We are going to spent 3 nights there and take the train to Paris for 2 nights. Then we will take the overnight train from Paris to Barcelona and spent one night in Barcelona prior to the cruise. After the cruise we are flying from Barcelona to London and then home the next day. They also have trains from the airports into London. Good luck with your plans.

I heard that you should not make flight arrangements before 10:30 am on disembarkation day!

Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. My daughter (age 20) and my son (age 14) will be on the trip with me. I am a little concerned about keeping things interesting and enjoyable for them (likely much more of an issue for my son). Any further suggestions based on ages of my kids?

Thanks Again,
Hank T.

I would spend at least two days in Barcelona - there's lots there to see.

Madrid and Toledo are obvious choices for extending your trip. Toledo has one of the most fantastic cathedrals in Europe. the is an El Greco museum here too. In Madrid, you can visit the royal palace, El Prado and many other sites.

Heck, we're going back to Italy (even after all of those stops - to see more of Rome and Florence and especially Venice). There seems to be plenty of flights between Barcelona and Venice. You can spend a day and a half in Venice, and take a day trip to Verona ("home" of Romeo and Juliette). There's plenty to see there a "Roman" collesium (sorry for the horrible spelling - more to come) and an ampitheater.

For more suggestions of places to go and see, check out on the Travel Channel shows - Passport to Europe with Samantha Brown. She's been busy visiting many locations throughout Europe. It on daily at in the morning with one episode and on Thursday evenings showing two half hour episodes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter