Meals Delivered for the Elderly

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
Any recommendations for companies that deliver meals? Grandparents are in their 90s and need nothing gift-wise. Sent them a gift box from Omaha Steaks last Christmas and they loved it. I know Omaha Steaks doesn't get great reviews, but they were quite happy. Grandma is able to cook, but gets tired and doesn't want to do it everyday. Looked into the meals from Schwann's, but they don't seem much different than the frozen meals you can get in the grocery store. Anyone used anything they would recommend?

If they like pizza, chinese food, etc. - is it possible to buy some gift certificates for these places. They can call and have it delivered. What about some local specialty stores - Delis/Pork stores. They usually sell prepared meals - even supermarkets - not sure if the big stores deliver but maybe the smaller stores?

I know qvc sells food items or what about a monthly delivery like Harry and David.

Schwans will ship food anywhere in the U.S. They have a whole catalog of meats, heat and eat meals, frozen fruit, veggies, and of course ice cream. I guess they pack it all in dry ice.

Maybe do a google search for the area they live in? We have a local independent place that makes both fresh and frozen meals.

There's a deli here that does a great job with meal delivery so you might want to check for something local. Since they cater to a lot of offices and usually have trucks out all over the place anyway, they don't charge a delivery fee during the week. They're also really great at keeping notes on frequent customers and customizing the sandwiches and things to personal taste. And they offer fresh fruit or vegetables as a side choice too, rather than just chips.

Thanks for the comments! They already do most of these things - order pizza or other food that delivers; I and other family members have taken them frozen casseroles, etc. I'm just looking for something easy for when they/she does want to cook. She loved Omaha Steaks, so I might look into them again, or try Schwann's. Just wondering if anyone used a service that they LOVED. Thanks!

What about Dream Dinners or one of those "make your dinners in the store" franchises? Many of them will actually pull the meals together for you for an extra fee and then they would just need to be picked up. They have lots of variety, different menus every month, and an ability to "cook" the meal yourselves at home when you want to eat it.

Edit - Depending where you are and which franchise you have (Let's Eat, Dream Dinners, Super Suppers, etc), some will deliver as well for an additional fee:).

Last edited:
We like home chef...if you decide to try it, let me know and I can send you a code for $30 off your first order. I would get a credit, too. I like that they send you literally everything you need for a meal (unless it is salt and pepper or spoonfuls of cooking oil) and the decision is made for me. I'm not trying to figure out what to make, or what side dish works best. It also means you have everything you need to make the meal.

What about Meals-on-Wheels? My husband's grandmother recently started receiving it and loves it. We all thought she would hate it. Here in the Dallas, Texas area she was signed up through the Visiting Nurses Association. Free to whomever qualifies.

What about Meals-on-Wheels? My husband's grandmother recently started receiving it and loves it. We all thought she would hate it. Here in the Dallas, Texas area she was signed up through the Visiting Nurses Association. Free to whomever qualifies.

was gonna suggest the same thing, used to volunteer at one for the longest time before they let a company take it over. :\ Give it a shot though, ive seen some video of certain cities showing how unedible it is.

I've done the Omaha thing too, my 90 something grandparents love the microwaveable steaks. That with a frozen (or more likely canned) vegetable and they can make their own dinner.

The other thing that works is Trader Joe's. My grandmother is not using the oven anymore. They do both pot roast and meat balls that are pre cooked. One of us just takes over a bag of green salad on the weekly trip.

Hey, if they like the Omaha thing, that sounds like it is a winner to me. It may not get the best reviews, but if THEY like it, that's all that matters. There is also Kansas City Steak Company...similar concept, I cannot vouch for the difference.

Also, not sure if you have a Sam's Club membership, but in the meat area, they usually have a case of Heat-and-Eat meals....they would be pretty easy to freeze, if you just wanted to buy a bunch. They are usually nice meals, like chicken alfredo, meat loaf and mashed potatoes, seafood of some sort, wraps, etc etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter