• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meal Plans and flexibility?

teachallday

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip to Disney World this summer. :beach: 2 adults and DD7. At 7, she is developmentally about 3 (but very definately the size of a 7 year old). Having a 3 year old with 7 years of experience gives us challenges, but she does have a way of melting your heart (at least when she isn't having a melt-down - - and boy can she have a temper tantrum). Figuring out the best way to make this trip as stress free as possible has been the focus for the last few months (since I don't have a magic wand pixiedust: ). Since my little darling is very unpredictable in what she can handle, flexibility will be the key. To be flexible, I figure I need the Park Hopper tickets. Considering how hard it is it calm her down once she gets going, a Monarail resort would be best (currently thinking about the Contemporary Resort). We will also be renting a special needs stroller from off site (we figure this is the only way we will get to see Epcot).

Meals are a big questions for me. I have looked into the Disney Dining Plans and although I like the idea, I am worried about what issues I will face and how much flexibility I loose. Sitting her down for a Table Service meal at dinner time could be quite a challenge on certain days - maybe most days. I could probably do it at breakfast and lunch. If there is much waiting for meals, she can be quite a challenge. Over Christmas break we actually had to walk out of a restaurant before the order was taken, due to her behaviors (and knowing if it was taking that long just to get the order taken, there was no way we could hold out till the food arrived).

So I ask all of you that have done Disney with little ones who have extra challenges (especially ones who could really benefit from an afternoon nap but would never take one). Have you done the Dining Plan, and if so, what were the positives and negatives?

I do not think a meal plan would ever be practical for our family. This is one of the biggest reasons why I bought into DVC, so I could have a full kitchen and still be onsite without “breaking the bank”. It really gives us the extra flexibility we need both in meals and just having a big enough place to stretch out that is close to the parks so we can come and go without a big hassle.

bookwormde

Our youngest is the one with special needs. But ironically it was her older sister who convinced us many years ago to just do counter service. Our older dd is kind of a high strung kid, and we spent more time walking around the outside of a restaurant when she was little than I care to remember.

There's so much to do at WDW, I hate to spend time waiting for food. Hey...wait a minute....maybe our oldest isn't the only high strung family member...:rotfl:

Anyway, can you tell we'll probably never do the meal plans?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-plan.htm
You can use the dining plan for bufets which will get you your food fast. There has been much talk about how much if anything you save with the dining plan.

The apple does not fall far from the tree and I am third generation miswired brain and maybe fourth know my bisabuela Ignacia. It may be that genetics makes one more likely to get something, who knows. You can have dad go ahead of you and get the seat while you keep the kid busy. Tell them your daughter has special needs and cannot wait for things so could they send you to the table in a few minutes. You wave and wait until he rings you on the cell phone. Save money and do not answer, lol. I do not have a cell phone, scary things.

Check the menus on the following page.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm
You can search for a specific term like bacon or for a certain area or buffets.

Also look into beads, games, music, and other stimulus to keep her busy in lines. She needs to work on her patience and rewarding helps. A bit of candy for being good for example. The autism and asperger thread have lots of tips on how to get through the parks with any kid. If the kid acts up then take her out and have dad get to go boxes so that way you will have a fine meal on the dining plan and the kid can do her thing.

Good luck on the trip.

For the most part, we use our TS credits on brunch or lunch ressies. My kids are a lot better at lunch time, and welcome an hour out of the heat and overstimulation around them. Much easier to get a quick service meal in the evening when anything could go very wrong at any time.;) I especially like using our TS credits for character meals; esp. Akurshus- my kids love the princesses!! The key is to book the lunch ressie either at opening for Epcot WS or by 11:30, that way you're not stuck waiting for long which in our family is an invitation for a meltdown. Also, stick to your home schedule as much as possible; for my kids (and, I think a lot of kids with developmental disabilities) routine is key.

And of course, there is, in 2009, the Quick Service Dining Plan option - two QS (counter service) meals and two snacks per day, and one refillable mug per Guest per reservation, for $29.95 per adult and I apologize but I do not know the cost for your daughter. But if you think counter service meals will work better for her, and take mechurchlady's suggestion for sending your DH ahead to order and call you when the food is ready, that may well work.

I got a good chuckle out of mechurchlady's post. >> You can have dad go ahead of you and get the seat while you keep the kid busy. <<

You know for years I have had people assume I was a female :rotfl2: because of the way I talk on boards and E-Mails. My profession doesn't help either - Elementary Level Special Education Teacher - but I can assure you that I can not send the Husband ahead. I could send Mom on ahead and I say with the little princess princess: , but it is a delicate balance. DD prefers to be with Mom, but that is because Mom gives in and I don't (at least most of the time). I can manage her behaviors a lot more than she can.

No offense is taken, but it does make me laugh when someone just assumes I am female. :lmao:

Thanks for the helpful ideas though. I especially like the one of using cell phones and letting the little princess explore outside the restaurant while waiting for food to come.

I always find it interesting since boards for the most part scramble many of the gender biases, actually seems much more “natural to me” (aspie). And as males we are definitely in the minority on many boards.

bookwormde

We don’t have any special need children but this is what we do to minimize our wait time. We try to get the first seating possible of a meal because they restaurant has not had time to get behind yet. We also prefer the buffets because there is no waiting for food and you can usually eat and get out in a small amount of time. We try to avoid the peak times at CS too, waiting in line always seems the worst for us.

I don’t know that we same much money on the dining plan but we don’t loose money. I also like having things prepaid.

It is opposite of my latina heritage to speak as if someone is female. It is assumed and also I tend to try to give mom the break. Go online to see the menus and if you have internet you can do that at your hotel room. Ask the CM greeter for a menu and they will let you see one. Ahead of time you will know where the restaurants are and what your kid will eat. You tell the wife what you want and she can cell phone you when there is a question like well done or medium rare.

2/3 of the people in my family who are educators are female lol. just because she is miswired does not mean she can get away with things. that is the hard part of special needs kids. Brat or a true meltdown? I know bookwormde is male but most I assume are female. Next time include in your avatar a picture of you in kilts:rotfl2: . You are an educator so you know a lot about kids. Definitely hand with Nicole, bookworm and Becky so you can learn some neat tips.

We also do the dining plan and mostly plan for late breakfast or early lunches. I find that sitting down in a cool restaurant by that time helps the kiddos. We also do many of the character meals or buffets. It get them the characters they love without the lines they cannot handle. DD also has food allergies so we do usually have to wait a little at the buffets until the chef comes out. The wait for CS is what takes a long time for us.

Now we have the DVC so I think the next trip will be our last of the dining plan for a while. DD will be 10 and she does not eat enough to pay for the adult plan.

Denise in MI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter