• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meal Planning for staying offsite

mamahas5

Mouseketeer
We'll be staying at Best Western Saratoga Resort Villas next month for 7 days. Looking for ideas for meals while we're there as there is a full kitchen. Breakfast is simple but for times we are staying in for lunch/dinner to help save money does anyone have some ideas? I'm thinking spaghetti, grilled cheese...yeah I need some inspiration!!:idea:

I have looked at the location on a map. My estimate is that you are talking about 30 minutes from that Resort to any of the WDW Parking Lots (each way). And then you have to consider the time it takes to get between where you are and your car.

For lunches stick to sandwiches that won't spoil in heat and bring them with you.

I've been wanting to think on this too for our trip. So I will brainstorm some here...

I'm not sure if you will be in the mood for soup but here is a super simple recipe that just involves canned goods. If you double it, you will have some for a few days. Add spices though or it is too bland, otherwise it is good. Especially if you add some sour cream and tortilla chips.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/six-ca...etail.aspx?src=ShareOnFacebook&recipeID=19766

Here is a Real Simple Ravioli Lasagna recipe that literally takes me 5 min to prepare since I have done it before. It then cooks in the oven for about 30 min. It is good and quick. http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...last-minute-lasagna-10000000610496/index.html

Fresh fruit and fresh veggies if you don't mind them raw, along with some ranch dressing, are very low prep.

What about microwaving baked potatoes, served with various toppings (cheese, sour cream, bacon bits) and a bag salad.

For Lent one year, we were trying to simplify our meals and were eating meals from poorer countries around the world. When we were doing Guatemala, we discovered one of our now favorite quick meals. We get refried black beans in a can, heat them up (add spices if you wish), and then fry some eggs and tortillas and put them together. Tortilla, spread beans on top, add egg or two, and fold over. Add salsa and sour cream if you like.

Frozen pizzas for when you really don't feel like doing a thing but turning on the oven!

You could also google 4 ingredient meals and I bet those would have lower prep time then most recipes (though I am not sure how tasty they would be-- would definitely add spices to some that I have seen for some flavor)

Are you driving or flying?

If you are driving you can bring along your crockpot if you plan to go back to your hotel during the day. Throwing meat and veggies in doesn't sound too bad. Also...some people do crockpot freezer cooking. They basically prepare a bag of stuff to go into the crockpot and then freeze it and pull it out when they need it. That might be helpful to do ahead of time and take down in a cooler and use when you need it.

If I were you, I would try to make several big meals and have leftovers that can be heated so you aren't having to cook every day/night when you get home exhausted from a day at the park.

I have looked at the location on a map. My estimate is that you are talking about 30 minutes from that Resort to any of the WDW Parking Lots (each way). And then you have to consider the time it takes to get between where you are and your car.

For lunches stick to sandwiches that won't spoil in heat and bring them with you.
Yes, on our days at WDW (only 2 :() I think we'll count on bringing lunch or trying some CS locations. I'm hoping our next trip will put us closer to WDW but this was the best for our budget that can fit our family of 7.

I've been wanting to think on this too for our trip. So I will brainstorm some here...

I'm not sure if you will be in the mood for soup but here is a super simple recipe that just involves canned goods. If you double it, you will have some for a few days. Add spices though or it is too bland, otherwise it is good. Especially if you add some sour cream and tortilla chips.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/six-ca...etail.aspx?src=ShareOnFacebook&recipeID=19766

Here is a Real Simple Ravioli Lasagna recipe that literally takes me 5 min to prepare since I have done it before. It then cooks in the oven for about 30 min. It is good and quick. http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...last-minute-lasagna-10000000610496/index.html

Fresh fruit and fresh veggies if you don't mind them raw, along with some ranch dressing, are very low prep.

What about microwaving baked potatoes, served with various toppings (cheese, sour cream, bacon bits) and a bag salad.

For Lent one year, we were trying to simplify our meals and were eating meals from poorer countries around the world. When we were doing Guatemala, we discovered one of our now favorite quick meals. We get refried black beans in a can, heat them up (add spices if you wish), and then fry some eggs and tortillas and put them together. Tortilla, spread beans on top, add egg or two, and fold over. Add salsa and sour cream if you like.

Frozen pizzas for when you really don't feel like doing a thing but turning on the oven!

You could also google 4 ingredient meals and I bet those would have lower prep time then most recipes (though I am not sure how tasty they would be-- would definitely add spices to some that I have seen for some flavor)

Are you driving or flying?

If you are driving you can bring along your crockpot if you plan to go back to your hotel during the day. Throwing meat and veggies in doesn't sound too bad. Also...some people do crockpot freezer cooking. They basically prepare a bag of stuff to go into the crockpot and then freeze it and pull it out when they need it. That might be helpful to do ahead of time and take down in a cooler and use when you need it.

If I were you, I would try to make several big meals and have leftovers that can be heated so you aren't having to cook every day/night when you get home exhausted from a day at the park.
:thumbsup2 Awesome ideas!! We are flying, btw. I think I'll be doing all the meals you mentioned, including that great Real Simple recipe.

When we go we always pack a really small george forman grill and can make paninis, grilled chz, quesidillas, hot dogs etc.

A quick meal is heating frozen tortellini/ frozen meatballs/ with spaghetti sauce. Add a veggie and garlic bread for sides.

Burgers/ baked beans / chips

Precooked chicken from the deli. Debone the chicken use in a salad. You can use add canned black beans, an avocado, tomatoes and shredded for a Mexican salad. Ranch or salsa can be used for a dressing.

Marinated chicken breasts take no time to cook. Add in some multi color peppers to make fajitas. Spanish rice (rice a roni) can be a side.

The blog eatathomecooks.com has some great quick meal ideas.

A quick meal is heating frozen tortellini/ frozen meatballs/ with spaghetti sauce. Add a veggie and garlic bread for sides.

Burgers/ baked beans / chips

Precooked chicken from the deli. Debone the chicken use in a salad. You can use add canned black beans, an avocado, tomatoes and shredded for a Mexican salad. Ranch or salsa can be used for a dressing.

Marinated chicken breasts take no time to cook. Add in some multi color peppers to make fajitas. Spanish rice (rice a roni) can be a side.

The blog eatathomecooks.com has some great quick meal ideas.
Thanks for your ideas, those are things my family would enjoy for sure.

I would consider having a $20 crockpot shipped to he hotel then pick a bunch of recipes, put the spices together into a ziplock marked clearly for each recipe at home then just bring thepackets with me, pick up the main meat or whatever once i got to Orlando then just dump it into the pot and go. Come back and you can have fajitas, pot roast, tomato sauce, chicken soup, chili for a fraction of the cost and almost no effort.

Have fun!

Baked chicken breast that have been marinated in itialian dressing make a box of suddenly salad or mac and cheese and green beans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter