• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meal plan worth it?

All of our TS meals (all 3 lol) were buffets mainly cause of the pickiness of my son so it allowed him to eat bits and pieces of what he liked. We ate at crystal palace for dinner last time (the other two were breakfast) and while I had plenty of options. He basically ate his body weight in white rice and fruits and a few deserts for the meal. Next time we go well be there for 9 days and I'm looking at probably 7 breakfasts and maybe 1 lunch and 1 dinner cause I know with breakfast he'll get more then his money's worth.

So our trip in 2013 we did meal plan. In 2014 we didn't. I ran the numbers and as long as my kids are young and we continue to do atleast one character meal a day I will not go to Disney with out it!!!!! It was not even a close discussion. But again we do a character meal per day one day. We also don't hold back on buying whatever we feel like eating when we are in vacation. If I want it I order it.

I've never done it, but by crunching numbers from the allears menus, we decided it wasn't worth it for our upcoming trip. Especially since (from what I understand) desserts are included but appetizers are not on standard plan (please correct me if I'm wrong, don't want to mislead OP) We are definitely appetizer people.

BUT I almost bought annual passes just to have the right to buy Tables in Wonderland, because that definitely seems worth it, especially if you drink! If this trip goes well, I might plan for 2 trips next year and buy TiW card :)

Every trip I get it for an odd reason. I like to think I am paid up and not worry about money.

Last trip we didn't go to the park every day so we wasted money.

There are many DDP calculator sites to help. Just google "DDP calculator" or "DDP spreadsheet". I used the one from seeyareelsoon last year and decided not to do the dining plan. The one from distripplanner looks very user friendly.

It was worth it for our last 3 trips. It would not be worth it for our next trip. We know what places we want to eat in (we've been there and done that with most table service places and want more counter service), we know what kinds of foods we like and don't like (2 vegetarians, 1 average eater, 1 who prefers simple foods, sharing a bite of dessert, mostly water to drink), we know what time of year we are going (hot this time so we won't want huge meals), we know what the cost is based on ages (2 Disney "adults" and two IRL adults). We carefully calculated it and made a decision that way.

We used to get the dining plan but stopped when my oldest daughter turned 10. It doesn't work for us anymore for a variety of reasons---I want more TS and fewer CS. I don't always want dessert right after dinner...sometimes I want to wait a few hours and have a big honkin' cupcake or sundae! My twins don't always want to order off the kids menu so they sometimes share an adult entree. My oldest and I have similar tastes and we share entrees quite a bit. Last summer was our first time going OOP and there's no way I would go back to the DP. We spent less and still ate what we wanted, including several buffets. I've been saving up disney gift cards all year and already have the equivalent of what the dining plan would cost, so ours is pre-paid too. It works great for some people, but not for us.

If you are going to be doing a lot of character, buffet, and table service dining, I think it's worth it.

This, in my view, is the most important question, especially with a 9 and 7 YO. If you are there for a shorter amount of time (say, 4 or 5 days or less), it makes even more sense; any longer, and we feel like we are constantly eating, and having to eat everything we're entitled to, since we paid for it. The desserts are the worst part about that.

With the buffets and character dinners, the per diem price for a child on the dining plan is often less than what one character dinner would cost -- thus, you will get your $5.00 lunch PB&J for "free".

With both kids under 10 it's probably worth it for the dining plan. Keep in mind the quick service plan and the regular dining plan are based on 2 meals a day, not 3. Will this be enough for the hungry one? The kids eat from a child's menu, not an adult menu.

If you maximize the plan like ordering the most expensive foods then chances are good you will get more out of the dining plan then what it actually costs. The quick service plan does offer places where it's not just fast food. Table service can be fun for the kids if you go to character meals. For your hungry one, you may want to consider some buffet places if you are planning to get the regular dining plan.

The downside for us has always been we really don't want a dessert and we are fine with drinking tap water. We don't need the most expensive meal, either. In this scenario, we have been better off out of pocket.

Looking at the menus available is the best way to make a decision about the cost. Order like you would at home and see what happens with the costs.

We've been to WDW many times - both with and without the DDP and TiW.

A few years ago, it was worthwhile. the price was such that if you basically followed the plan, you saved a bit of money. Now it is priced so that it's hard to break even. The only exception is kids under ten.

Prior to DDP we took a trip with extended family where part of the family grumbled about the cost of every TS meal. Getting DDP initially seemed like a solution. My family tends to order low cost items on the menu, avoid all desserts, drinks only water. Initially DDP meant we could splurge. In practice though - if you splurge- the cost of your tipping goes up. It just can't be said that tips are the same both ways. Not for us.

On subsequent trips...we found we had just WAY too many DDP credits. The TS desserts are fun, but the quick serve ones are often kind of lame. Much of my family actually LIKES drinking water with our meals. We also skipped/tossed many desserts.

Another downside is that there's a -relearning process every trip. You have to follow the rules when you order. You can't just walk up to a QS and order an entrée, then later get dessert and your beverage some other place. Also, "a snack" credit can be used for a $1.79 soda, a $1.29 juice box, or a $3.99 ice cream sandwich. If you use all your snack credits on $1.79 sodas, you'll probably lose money.

You are also locked into all your meals. If someone isn't feeling well, or just isn't hungry - no $ back.

The TiW discount likely won't blow you away either. TS meals at WDW are kind of crazy expensive. It's part of the overall experience of WDW, I suppose. It helps, and does include almost anything - even adult beverages and appetizers. But it is not free. Now that it costs, I think, $100? That's a high break even point- especially if you ALSO need to buy an AP. (AP's have a few dining discounts by themselves)

I tried one trip where we had TiW, AND DDP for PART of the group. (12 people). HUGE mistake! It was WAY too confusing for everyone! The servers hated us! :headache:

Ultimately, we've come back to thinking TiW is the best deal. Or no discount at all. (to get TiW, you often have to get an AP.) If you aren't on the DDP, you are free to order what ever you want.

It is also worth mentioning one more option. Concierge level! It's not exactly a discount plan, or a complete food plan, but if you are staying deluxe, and meet certain criteria (4people per room), we find it about even to the other options with added convenience. Concierge = a quick continental breakfast, soft drinks, beer/wine upon request most of the day, snacks, appetizers 5-7pm, and desserts 8-10pm.

Main question do you have the dining on your hotel reservation already? If not you will lose all FP+ selections. There are many threads about how people added it later and their FPs disappeared. So if you currently don't have it you may want to think about. Personally I don't think it's worth it. When we have gone without it we get cups of water and 1 large coke that we'll share. At CS we don't get desserts your choice is typically chocolate cake, carrot cake (curious about how they bake in the plastic bowl) yogurt (they sell for $2) or small pouch of grapes. It's cheaper for us to pay out of pocket. But we do have a car and we have a few off site restaurants we love going to.

One thing OP said early on is they don't eat fast food at home and don't really want to on vacation. If you decide to get the regular plan, that still includes one QS (fast food) meal a day and the kid's meals at QS are almost all the same. The Deluxe (DxDDP) plan will cost you a whole lot more, but it would give you more snacks and all TS (table service) meals.

If the kids will share an adult meal or share with you, they'll eat better even at the QS locations which means you probably need to do OOP.

One thing OP said early on is they don't eat fast food at home and don't really want to on vacation. If you decide to get the regular plan, that still includes one QS (fast food) meal a day and the kid's meals at QS are almost all the same. The Deluxe (DxDDP) plan will cost you a whole lot more, but it would give you more snacks and all TS (table service) meals. If the kids will share an adult meal or share with you, they'll eat better even at the QS locations which means you probably need to do OOP.

That's not necessarily true. Disney offers salads, rotisserie chicken, flatbreads, turkey sandwiches, BBQ sandwiches, fish among other things. Different side items too.

We are gong for short stay in Oct... 3 day week end. It jilts didn't make sense for a short stay. We do it for a week ong stay or more cause my teenager does nothing but ea他。skipping it for a 3,day trip

Here's a simple answer. The dining plan is not designed to save money.

Besides that, IMHO, it's too much food.

That's not necessarily true. Disney offers salads, rotisserie chicken, flatbreads, turkey sandwiches, BBQ sandwiches, fish among other things. Different side items too.

90% of KIDS QS meals are chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, PB&J, or cheeseburger. Yes, you can find a few other things here and there, but you have to RESEARCH and plan for that.

I would love to know where you found salad, BBQ sandwich, or fish on a KID's menu.

Personally I love the cheap carrot cake they used to have with DDP lunches! I had heard most places aren't offering it anymore. True story?

DDP or not will be a different decision for every family.

For my family, we like the DDP. I've done regular DDP and a trip OOP and upcoming trip I'm trying DxDP. I've run the numbers and cost wise it's close to a wash with a slight savings using the plan, so for me that is not the deciding facotor. What are deciding factors are: we eat at a lot of character meals and for an under 10 year old, that gets you great value on the plan. I like to have 2 and sometimes 3 TS meals a day. I am not a fan at all of QS from the lining up to order, to the standing around waiting for food, to the trolling for a table once you have food, it's just not en enjoyable experience for me at all so having a reserved table at a sit down restaurant is far more stress free and built in breaks from the heat of our late August trips. I like having my food paid before I arrive, makes it feel more all inclusive and then I don't worry at all about during my vacation.

QS DDP: Adults $42, kids(3-9) $16.03 (= 2QS, one snack, mug)

regular DDP: Adults $60.64, Kids(3-9): $19.23 (one TS, one QS, one snack, mug)

kids under 3: free at buffets, oop any items bought for them

expensive single credit buffet: $38.33, kids: $19.16
low end TS menu dinner $18.50+$3.49+$2.99 +tax = $26.5high $ TS upper end menu dinner = $44
I think all $ TS menu dinners for kids: $11.45

most adult QS meals: breakfast up to $13.80, L/D: up to $19.75
Kids QS meals: $6

snack: up to $4.5, as low as $1.30 (apple)

So adults probably max out about $68 value per day - if you get all components, get the most expensive items, and pay an additional gratuity ( 18% of $68 is about $12.30)

Kids max out about $29.66 (buffet, QS lunch, max snack)

But....if you go for QS breakfast, use snack for less expensive item- even if you use all entitlements you could come out spending $60.64 for a value of only $42!

In practice, the last time we used it, we did a mix of buffets, didn't get all our desserts or drinks, but mostly picked more expensive snacks...and didn't break even with DDP. (and that was a few years ago, when prices were more favorable)

And I'm not pricing it out fully, but last I did, signature dinners don't really work out as a good value. Narcoosee's is about as good as it gets if you get the lobster surf n turf dinner ($72) plus dessert ($10)plus signature coffee ($6.30) or about $93.50 (divided by two is about $46.75)...any other entrée works out to about $64.60, (divided by two is $32.30) - or lower.

So using a TS voucher at a signature dinner and it is worth about $32, or less in most cases, which is less than the cost of a buffet. Narcoosee's is great...but I don't think it's twice as good as Kona Café.

Oh, the DDP is almost always a losing proposition if you are a vegetarian unless you eat most your TS at buffets.

We did the quick service plan when we went and loved it. It was nice to have everything pre paid. We have a large family and it was nice that the older kids could go off on their own and we didn't have to worry about them having extra money to eat. We did two sit down dinners that we paid for. I am sure we didn't save any money in the long run but we liked the convenience of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter