Meal Plan or No Meal Plan?

dollcollector1

Mouseketeer
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the board and have a trip planned for WDW at the Port Orleans . The meal plan seems very new. We've been to WDW many years ago and there was no meal plan. Do we meal plan it or nix it? Thanks for your feedback.

The DDP is approx $38 a day for adults, sorry but I don't know the kids price. If you are planning at least 1 TS a day, it will pay for itself. TS meals include appetizer, main course, dessert and soda or ice tea. CS include a combo meal and dessert.

The meal plan is great, a lot of food just for $38 per day. The expensive TS meals are $38 or more each.

dollcollector1 said:
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the board and have a trip planned for WDW at the Port Orleans . The meal plan seems very new. We've been to WDW many years ago and there was no meal plan. Do we meal plan it or nix it? Thanks for your feedback.

Depends on your family and eating style. We don't do the DDP. One you have to plan your day around your ADR's. Also we do don't a lot of CS (only so many burgers I can eat) so some days we have more than 1 TS. We have a DDE card which gives us 20% off all our TS including alcohol. That works much better for us.

For 2006 ages 3-9 $10.99, adult $37.99
For 2007 ages 3-9 $11.99, adult $38.99

Like others posted if you typically do one table service meal a day, then yes it is worth it. If you don't you'd be better off paying out of pocket.

Also..you didn't mention when you were traveling. If it is for 2007 you may want to go to the thread for dining plan changes. Looks as if ALOT of dining choices are no longer available at Epcot as well as Downtown Disney. Also off the list was Coronado.

We are deciding soon about getting the meal plan or not. I have heard from those on the DisBoards and others that it can not be beat !

We were planning to get the DDE good for a year. Also we will be there in October during the Food an Wine Fest - and will be eating there too. Since we will be at WDW in October, January ans July the cost of the DDE might be the best thing for us.
Also because our young adult children will be there some of the time with us we are limited to restaurants that serve vegan dishes.

One of the "intangible" benefits to the meal plan is that you can accurately budget how much you will need for food. It is true that some people may need more :confused3 and some people may need less, but if you include it in your package and stick to it, your food is "paid" for and you can order what you want without concerning yourself with the price. It makes for a more relaxing trip.
:welcome: Have a great trip!

We loved the dining plan. We liked getting to sample different TS meals, that we never would of tried otherwise.

We both relized that, had we not been on the dining plan, we would of spent less on foods, splitting CS meals, eating in the room more, ect. But we still felt it was well worth it, to enjoy several character meals, and other great meals.

On return trips, we do not plan on using it though. We will just do counter service meals, and save money, planning only one TS meal each trip.

(We didn't relize we would fall in LOVE with Disney! We were planning on going only once, and doing it up, i.e. DDP and TS meals, now, we're in love with it, and looking into DVC and going back yearly)

We will be trying out the DDP for free this month. I am sure we will be "hooked" since we do enjoy TS meals. We are eating at a lot of restaurants that we previously have not eaten at.

We've done the meal plan our last 2 trips, & will from now on. My kids love character meals & we do a character dinner almost every night. The meal plan is worth it just for those!!

I think you def. get your money's worth using the DDP, especially if you like TS meals with all the courses. It seems worth it to me, but it does limit your choices, especially in 2007. :sunny:

I believe it all depends on how much food a person normally eats and eating style as in counter service and sharing meals or counter service per person and throw in a couple of TS during the stay. If you're like our family the DDP is well worth it! Go to Deb's wonderful site with the different menu's and prices for each meal...both Counter Service Meals as well as TS meals. Determine how much money you would typically spend per person per day. Through out the years of vacationing to Disney I've always budgeted $50 per person per day. Needless to say, the DDP is well worth it for our family. The only down side that I forsee for 2007 is that not all WS restaurants are included in the plan as they are for this year.

I thought that the meal plan was great last year when we went we got the chance to eat at places that we might not have otherwise. I say go for it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter