• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meal Plan and DVC

Wibess

Earning My Ears
If you rent points from someone can you still get tickets with the Dining Plan option?

No, you will not. The DVC members can't get it and that is the reason a renter wouldn't be able to either.

Dean,

There was suppose to be something in the works for DVC members..... have you or anyone heard anything?

I really wish DVC would take a stance on this. I called when the new MYW plan was announced and asked if this would be an option for DVC members. They said they are working on it.

Well, 8 months later. Has anyone heard any news?

Laurajean1014 said:
Dean,

There was suppose to be something in the works for DVC members..... have you or anyone heard anything?
To be honest, I never thought they were truly working on it. I'll be surprised if they open it up to DVC members since it's only a package option now. It was obviously a way for WDW to sell rooms and tickets at full value. But I've been wrong before.

...I'm threadjacking here, but...

OP, are you asking about being eligible for the "free" dining option?

I know that WDW sells other dining plans as well (not just the free dining) and I'm wondering if DVC members are eligible for the other dining options (the ones we pay for). Does anyone know?

J and R's mom said:
...I'm threadjacking here, but...

OP, are you asking about being eligible for the "free" dining option?

I know that WDW sells other dining plans as well (not just the free dining) and I'm wondering if DVC members are eligible for the other dining options (the ones we pay for). Does anyone know?
You are not eligible unless you go through Disney for your room.You cant by owning or renting.

luvindisneyworld said:
You are not eligible unless you go through Disney for your room. You can't by owning or renting.
As noted, DVC members don't have access to any meal plans. But they do have access to various dining discounts which are frequently a better deal for many people.

Not to mention the full kitchen in 1BR, 2BR and 3BR villas -- if saving money is the priority, nothing beats a quick trip to Publix.

luvindisneyworld said:
You are not eligible unless you go through Disney for your room.You cant by owning or renting.

Actually you can't get the dining plan unless you buy a room and ticket package. You can't get it with a room only reservation anywhere.

I know when I called in December that it sure seemed like it was in the works, then I spoke to someone else when following up in January. Sometimes I think we are told what they think we want to hear.
I really believed it to be a possibility after my first phone call, but when the second phone call was made they seemed not to have any idea what I was talking about. Oh and as far as what I was told in December, it must have been from someone who was new (according to the second person I spoke to). Nonetheless I am still eagerly awaiting any news as I really miss not having that option. We always purchased the meal plans as nonmembers.

I called in May to inquire for my sister who is going to WDW in August....told it is definitely not available now, but she thought it would be soon. She suggested that I call back before my December ressie.

Yeah, it's a bummer that we save $ on rooms but then lose it on the meal plan. It is lovely that it is free now, but even at $35, it is a bargain.

This came in my Passporter newsletter:

Beginning in 2006 a new plan will be added to the Magic Your Way program. The "Magic Your Way Platinum Package" will be available at select Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club Resorts. In addition to the features of the Magic Your Way Premium Package, the Platinum Package will include concierge-type services such as pre-trip planning, access to special fireworks cruises, and spa treatments and dining at restaurants not normally included such as Victoria & Albert's.

crisi said:
This came in my Passporter newsletter:

Beginning in 2006 a new plan will be added to the Magic Your Way program. The "Magic Your Way Platinum Package" will be available at select Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club Resorts. In addition to the features of the Magic Your Way Premium Package, the Platinum Package will include concierge-type services such as pre-trip planning, access to special fireworks cruises, and spa treatments and dining at restaurants not normally included such as Victoria & Albert's.
Although it mentions the DVC resorts, I'm willing to bet that the new plan will be available only to those who book the package through CRO (for cash). In other words, it may not be available to Vacation Club members who use their points.

Best wishes -

I emailed DVC on May 5, asking about this very issue. I was told that they are working on it. I sent a follow-up email in August 2. Here is the reply I received...

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

At this time, we are still looking at trying to find the best solution to offer a dining program for
Disney Vacation Club Members. Unfortunately, we still do not have a estimated time when this may be
available.

Best Wishes,
Pepe
Disney Vacation Club

Don't know Carol, I suspect you are right. Or the other option, we will get a dining plan, but with bells and whistles that make it not a great deal unless you are going to add spa treatments or horseback riding. Which would go back to the theory that we might get a dining plan - but it won't be $35 a day for adults because the dining plan is being used to sell rooms.

Dopey Sharon said:
I emailed DVC on May 5, asking about this very issue. I was told that they are working on it. I sent a follow-up email in August 2. Here is the reply I received...

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

At this time, we are still looking at trying to find the best solution to offer a dining program for
Disney Vacation Club Members. Unfortunately, we still do not have a estimated time when this may be
available.

Best Wishes,
Pepe
Disney Vacation Club
This sounds further away, not closer, compared to the other brush off lines MS have given DVC members since this was announced. And read literally, it does sound like they might consider generating something, we shall see. I'm curious as to how people react if they come up with a DVC only package that is inferior to the MYW dining option. And as I've said before, I don't see that as a great value for most people.

I'm sure most know the price is going to $37.99 plus tax come 2006.

crisi said:
Don't know Carol, I suspect you are right. Or the other option, we will get a dining plan, but with bells and whistles that make it not a great deal unless you are going to add spa treatments or horseback riding. Which would go back to the theory that we might get a dining plan - but it won't be $35 a day for adults because the dining plan is being used to sell rooms.
I agree. OTOH, I never in my wildest dreams thought we would get such a great discount on APs/PAPs. Hope really does spring eternal, I guess. :teeth:

I just got the "Disney Dining Experience"..since I'm going 15 nights this year and about 8-10 next year, I calculated out that the 20% dining discount offered on that card is worth $500-$700 easily for me...the cost of the card is only $50 for annual passholders.

rombar said:
I just got the "Disney Dining Experience"..since I'm going 15 nights this year and about 8-10 next year, I calculated out that the 20% dining discount offered on that card is worth $500-$700 easily for me...the cost of the card is only $50 for annual passholders.

Yes, given that we're making at least two trips from Dec 05-Aug06 we're going to do the same. We love sit down meals at the better restaurants and so we expect the DDE to pay off nicely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter