ME transport - tipping

kiwitinkerbell

kiwigirl
Hi. I'm from New Zealand and in New Zealand it is not expected you tip for service etc. I don't want to insult anyone or do the wrong thing on our trip to WDW later this year.

I am carefully becoming familiar with tipping so I don't make any mistakes. However, I'm unsure about whether we should tip when we use the ME transport from airport to Pop. Should we tip the driver? If yes, how much? Also, when we get to Pop, should we tip whoever helps us with our bags off the bus. I assume they put them into storage before they are ready to deliver them to our room? If yes, how much?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Hi. I'm from New Zealand and in New Zealand it is not expected you tip for service etc. I don't want to insult anyone or do the wrong thing on our trip to WDW later this year.

I am carefully becoming familiar with tipping so I don't make any mistakes. However, I'm unsure about whether we should tip when we use the ME transport from airport to Pop. Should we tip the driver? If yes, how much? Also, when we get to Pop, should we tip whoever helps us with our bags off the bus. I assume they put them into storage before they are ready to deliver them to our room? If yes, how much?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

If your bags are transported on the bus and the driver loads and unloads them, then you should consider a tip for the driver. How much is up to you. Customary is $1 to $2 per full sized bag, given all other aspects of the drivers service met your expectations.

In the US, many service oriented jobs are considered "tipped positions". They include bus drivers, (when luggage is involved), restaurant servers, bell staff, valet parking attendant's, just to name a few. I do not state this with the intent that it should be automatic, the expected service MUST be recieved.

Thank you for taking the time to look into the differences in our countries customs.

To clarify, you should NOT tip resort staff who handle any luggage transported via the luggage transfer service as those tips are included in the service. (Unless you are feeling particularly generous.)

Thanks for the replies Jestocost and localdriver - it makes it so much easier. I really just want to make sure I get the whole tipping custom understood properly. :)

To clarify Jestocost's post - that applies when you have Magical Express transport your luggage separately from you, on its trucks.

Coming in on an international flight, you will have to claim your own luggage before going through Customs. Then, I think, you have the option of putting it back on a luggage track? Or bringing it to the DME counter and handing it over to them? Or, yes, bringing it to the bus yourself.

If you choose the last option, DME is not delivering your luggage so you would be responsible for any tips.

Tips are appropriate for all persons who handle your baggage, Magical Express included, with one exception,

No tip is required for baggage delivered automagically from the airport to your resort room since you are not expected to be there (you may be in a park).

Some international travelers must clear customs (or may by the planeload be required to reclear customs randomly) in Orlando. If this is the case you may put the baggage on the other conveyor belt to be automagically delivered. Or (if the agent is not in a mood to stop you) you can carry the baggage right out of the customs station and onto the airport tram and down to the Magical Express welcoming area or wherever you are going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter