• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ME question

Tinkerbellmom33

DIS Veteran
Sorry, no time to read through the sticky...

Can someone refresh my memory as far as the stickers on the bags?

Is it better to not put the sticker on ang get my luggage at MCO and then bring it on the bus myself, that way I have my suitcases right away? I think I remember doing this.

If I put the stickers on I have to wait for my bags to arrive at the hotel? or do they find their way onto the same bus I'm on?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to have your suitcases with you then leave the tags off and claim them yourself at baggage claim and bring them with you to the bus. If you don't want to worry about claiming your bags and just want them to appear in your room at some point later in the day put the tags on and don't worry. With the tags on the bags they will not be on the same bus as you.

'Better' is a relative term. Each person is going to have a different thought. Here are the major pros/cons as I understand them...

Using the tags
Pros
Not having to worry about luggage at MCO (no waiting at baggage claim, lugging to DME)
Free service. No tip necessary
If airline misdirects bags, ME takes care of filing missing bag
Cons
Won't have access to bags for (generally) 4 hours after landing
Depending on flight time (ie: after ~7pm), could be a "late delivery"

Not using the tags
Pros
You have access to your bags
Cons
Waiting at baggage claim
Should tip DME driver when he hands you bags at your resort

I think those are the "big" items. One thing to keep in mind, you should ALWAYS pack enough clothes, medicines, whatever in your carryon to get you through the first 24 hours of your stay. I don't think ME has "lost" a bag, but airlines certainly have.
If bags are lost by airline, you deal with airline.

Thank you both.

Better for me is to have the bag right away. That way I have access to my things immediately and can freshen up when we arrive. I don't mind getting the bags myself.
I did have an issue once with ME and late delivery (that was not a pleasant one) Every other time it was great.
I,m not even going to comment on the airlines.............don't want to jinx myself!! :goodvibes

Thanks again

'
Not using the tags
Pros
You have access to your bags
Cons
Waiting at baggage claim
Should tip DME driver when he hands you bags at your resort

I think those are the "big" items. One thing to keep in mind, you should ALWAYS pack enough clothes, medicines, whatever in your carryon to get you through the first 24 hours of your stay. I don't think ME has "lost" a bag, but airlines certainly have.
If bags are lost by airline, you deal with airline.

I would add another con: If the airline misdirects one of your bags, you will have to spend the beginning of your vacation filling out paperwork. I've had to do it twice and it it not fun. For that reason alone, I will always let DME collect my bags.
Thank you both.

Better for me is to have the bag right away. That way I have access to my things immediately and can freshen up when we arrive. I don't mind getting the bags myself.
I did have an issue once with ME and late delivery (that was not a pleasant one) Every other time it was great.
I,m not even going to comment on the airlines.............don't want to jinx myself!! :goodvibes

Thanks again

You really, really need to pack everything you'll need for the first 24 hours in your carry on.

Psst! When you use Magical Express for everything you still need to fill out paperwork if the airline misdirects one of your bags. Here you would do it at your resort if you discover something missing, for example when you get back from the park that evening.

Psst! When you use Magical Express for everything you still need to fill out paperwork if the airline misdirects one of your bags. Here you would do it at your resort if you discover something missing, for example when you get back from the park that evening.

DME will file the initial claim for you.

If it's really lost, you will have to fill out paper work, but generally the luggage is just delayed and DME will be able to handle it for you. If you go to a park when you arrive, you probably won't even know that there was a problem.

The following quote is from 2006, but it's still accurate:
And that's one of the little-advertised features of DME - if one or more of your bags is missing, THEY will take care of tracking it, contacting the airline and delivering any delayed pieces while YOU start your vacation, instead of hanging around the airport, panicking and filling out forms.

DME or not, given the various airlines' experience with misdirecting or outright losing luggage*, it is ALWAYS advisable to pack travel documents, valuables, medications, basic toiletries** and immediate-need clothing changes*** in carry on luggage.

*In 2005, airlines misdirected over three million bags and outright lost about 250,000; by comparison, DME lost, um, none (although Bell Services has occasionally delivered some to the wrong room, and DME has, if at all, rarely a random bag or two to the wrong resort).
**Toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, etc.
***Swimwear if you're planning to go swimming once you check in; pajamas if you're arriving late; a change of clothes if you want to get out of your 'travel stuff'.

We did the bring one small day bags for the day and sent 2 large pieces of luggage with Magical Express. It was perfect as we always find handling the large pieces of luggage exhausting and travel day is tough enough. Loved not having to get the luggage or get the luggage to our destination.

However, be prepared that it does take time. In our case, our luggage didn't show up at our hotel room at Beach Club until close to 6 hours after we landed. In fact it was a bit comical. We were on the second floor and I went up the steps. As I got up the steps, I saw a bellman with a luggage cart filled with a huge amount of luggage. He must have just gotten off the elevator and he was looking at a piece of paper like he was figuring out where to go. So I said to him "I bet you have our luggage on your cart from Magical Express and that we are the next room you are going to." Sure enough, the top two pieces of luggage were ours and he was headed for our room. It was just a lucky guess, but i figured that no family would have as much luggage as he had on his cart and he must be making the ME deliveries for BC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter