ME luggage delivery and kid bedtimes

Annie78

Mouseketeer
A question about ME luggage delivery and kid bedtimes:
My flight lands around 5:30PM. I'm concerned that if I let ME handle my checked bag, it might now show up until after my son's bedtime. I was thinking that if the bag hadn't shown up by the time I get DS to bed, I'd put a sign (magnet! no tape, promise) on the door asking ME to knock quietly. Or I could sit outside the door with a book and wait for them.
How have other parents handled this? I don't care about getting access to my bag before vs after bedtime, I just don't like the unpredictability of its arrival. But I'd also rather not deal with it at the airport...

I used ME for all of my bags except one. I went to the luggage carousel picked it up and took it on the bus with me, that way I had all of DD's stuff when we got to the resort. In that bag I also packed bathing suits and a change of clothes for me. It only took 20 minutes out of my day. Simply leave off the magical express tag when checking your luggage at your home airport.

we have put signs outside our door to knock quietly when DS was napping during the day but we needed something in the event that housekeeping came. It worked fine.

A question about ME luggage delivery and kid bedtimes:
My flight lands around 5:30PM. I'm concerned that if I let ME handle my checked bag, it might now show up until after my son's bedtime. I was thinking that if the bag hadn't shown up by the time I get DS to bed, I'd put a sign (magnet! no tape, promise) on the door asking ME to knock quietly. Or I could sit outside the door with a book and wait for them.
How have other parents handled this? I don't care about getting access to my bag before vs after bedtime, I just don't like the unpredictability of its arrival. But I'd also rather not deal with it at the airport...

On our last trip, we landed a little after 7 and didn't get to our resort until almost 9:00. Our luggage didn't arrive until midnight. At that point, not only was DD already asleep but I was wanting to go to sleep as well. They did knock softly so as to not wake up anyone who was sleeping when they delivered the luggage. I wonder if I hadn't answered the door if they would have opened the door with their key and brought the luggage in anyway or just wait until morning. I wished later that I had just asked bell services to hold the luggage until the next morning. I always pack our carryon with everything we need for the first 24 hours so we would have been fine not having it delivered that night.

If you don't want your bags brought up to your room after a certain time, just tell the front desk. They will hold them until you call down for them the next day. Easy.

Take a carry on bag for his needed items and then don't worry about the rest of luggage, yes, they should knock quietly...

We land at 6:09pm (in 2 weeks!) and I was thinking of packing our carry on (rolling) with PJ's, toothbrushes and outfits for the next day (especially Princes dresses in case our luggage get's lost/delayed) and then we are ready.

However - I am not sure I want to stay up till midnight waiting so maybe we will just get our own bags on the way down (last Disney trip we flew from Canada and didn't use the luggage portion of ME and it didn't slow us down too much).

If you don't want your bags brought up to your room after a certain time, just tell the front desk. They will hold them until you call down for them the next day. Easy.

Yup. We checked in at 8PM and asked bell services to hold our luggage until morning. I packed carry-on bags to have what we needed that night and the first morning to get ready for the parks. When we woke up in the morning I called bell services and told them we were ready for our bags.

Not only did I not want them to wake the children, I wanted to be able to go to bed and not worry about staying up for bags.

We had two not-great experiences with DME luggage delivery the last two trips, so if we decide to do DME again, I still won't use the luggage service. On our last trip, we received our luggage SEVEN HOURS after check-in, which was nine hours after the plane landed. The year before, we got our luggage just after the 3 hour window. It's just not worth it when you have young kids who are tired from a long flight. I never expected to have to keep our kids up late (for them) when we were in Orlando before noon.

We had two not-great experiences with DME luggage delivery the last two trips, so if we decide to do DME again, I still won't use the luggage service. On our last trip, we received our luggage SEVEN HOURS after check-in, which was nine hours after the plane landed. The year before, we got our luggage just after the 3 hour window. It's just not worth it when you have young kids who are tired from a long flight. I never expected to have to keep our kids up late (for them) when we were in Orlando before noon.

Why did you have to keep your kids up late?:confused3 Did you not follow the golden rule of packing for the first 24 hours in your carry-on? Usually followed because you never know when the airline is going to miss-direct your bags?

Let me save you a lot of stress and aggravation: Just pick them up at the airport and you won't have to worry.

Let me save you a lot of stress and aggravation: Just pick them up at the airport and you won't have to worry.

To me, that sounds like a lot more stress and aggravation than waiting for the luggage delivery at the resort. As mentioned earlier, just ask for the luggage to be held until the next morning. You should always have everything you need for the first day in your carry-on.

As long as you are at a resort with CMs who will help you get to your room with bags (never had anyone help at Sports, Music, or Pop), I would pick them up. Hire a porter to get and tote your bags to the bus for you, tip a cm to get them from checkin to the room, and you're done.

To me, that sounds like a lot more stress and aggravation than waiting for the luggage delivery at the resort. As mentioned earlier, just ask for the luggage to be held until the next morning. You should always have everything you need for the first day in your carry-on.

I have taken all of my bags before (6 of them) and walked to DME, it wasn't bad because I paid $20 to a sky sky cap to carry my bags for me. Then at the resort they fowled it all up and took my bags and didn't drop them off for three hours!!!!! I was furious:headache: After that I let DME handle all but one. I check the bag without the DME luggage tags and pick it up myself, by the time my DGF and DD are done freshening up and walk to DME I'm usually right behind them.

Did not even think of this...hate to admit but since we are going sans diaper bag I wasn't even thinking of taking essentials on the plane. We are landing around 5:30. I guess I will pack a backpack with pj's and clean underwear for all! I'm debating first day clothes now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter