Me and 2 nieces (7 & 9) - can we make it?

Antonia

DIS Veteran
My mom (who hasn't been to WDW in 20 plus years and rarely travels) says I am crazy to take my 2 nieces to WDW. I prefer to go by myself with them so we can have real fun. I've been many times and pretty well know the place. I can get around, etc. and know what there is to do, how transportation works, etc. I think we'd stay 5 nights with a 4-day park hopper and do a water park. I think we'd drive (10 hours). My mom thinks I should "take a man". I think that's funny - I am 43 years old and pretty well traveled. I think we can ride most rides as a group of 3. Looking for advice from those of you with kids - I haven't been with "kids" in so long. If I take DH, he'll probably golf. If I take my brother - father of my nieces - he may be a drag. Since his divorce he is sort of sarcastic and not a lot of fun.

Definitely go alone with your nieces. Do whatever they want to do, even if that means taking time out for swimming, resting, or playing at your hotel. Make sure they get plenty of sleep. Keep things simple. Try a character breakfast. Have fun!

Sure you can do it----sounds like a blast to me!!! Just a 'girls trip', your nieces will LOVE it! :earsgirl:

Go and have a great time! They are the perfect ages to have a great time. Old enough to do everything and they will have plenty of stamina.

That's why I feel I should go alone with them. We could just do what they want to do and have no other adult to please. I'm a responsible adult, 43 yo registered nurse. I've been plenty of times and plan to go again. But this will be a special trip for them -their parents are divorced and really don't plan to take them anytime in the foreseeable future. They are the only nieces I have on my side of the family.

I think that you'll have a wonderful time and they are old enough that one adult can easily to do the trip with them. They're old enough that they can help carry food in a restaurant, go on all the rides, hold their own when you are wall walking, etc, etc. Men are not all they're cracked up to be :teeth: and you can do this without your DH and most certainly without your brother. You can spoil your nieces, and it sounds like they could use that right about now!

T&B

I go alone with my girls, also 7 and 9 and its a blast. DH comes along once in a while but he dosen't have the time off we do and really dosen't enjoy it like we do. We have been doing our girls only trips since they were 5 and 7. We ride three in a ride on many rides or two and one - they ride together in front of me. We do the 2/1 on the barnstormer, and most of the fantasyland rides. BTMR and Splash Mt we like to all ride together and fit fine. Of course Space Mtn we ride in a row, I usually sit behind them both. You can check out the ride vehicle while waiting and see what works for you three.

Its a place I feel totaly safe taking them by myself. We use a towncar service to and from the airport (Tiffany Town Car) and stay on site to use disney transportatoin. I don't know if I would/could do a 10 hour drive though - kudos to you!! Flying non-stop is our choice.

Have fun
TJ

Antonia,

I just returned from WDW for my boys 8th birthday. It is truly a great age to take them. They are old enough to handle most everything. The only problem I can see is if they tend to have different likes and dislikes. For instance, one of my sons wanted to go on Mission Space and the other didn't. So, I was able to sit with him while DH took DS on MS. Ok, that was a lot of acronyms. Anyway, if the 7 year old is afraid of a lot of things, it could be a problem. Same if she is too small for things. One of my twins is 3 inches taller than the other. In our case it meant that one couldn't do a couple of rides and the other could. I wouldn't leave a 7 year old unattended while I rode. Depending on the 9 year old, you and the 7 year old may be able to walk her up and wait at the exit.

If they are similar in the things they like to ride, I'd definately go for it. The less people you have to please the better!

What a great aunt you are!!!!!!!!!

Def go alone with them! How fun is that, to be the only adult making decisions!! LOL! Plus it's just the girls. They will feel like two princesses being just with you.

Have a blast!!!

I am really looking forward to it!! They are both tall - the 7 yo is as tall as the 9 yo. Not sure if they'll do rides like ToT, but if they don't want to we just won't do it. My parents took them to the beach last summer and they thought it was great staying in a plain old hotel - just imagine how excited they'll be to stay at WDW!!

My 4yo really liked all the rides that he was tall enough to do (couldn't do Space Mt, Rock N Rollercoaster, and Mission to Space). The only one he didn't want to repeat was Dinosaur, but he wasn't overly scared by it. He went on ToT 5 times and thought the drops were fun. I bet that your nieces will want to do most everything. I haven't gotten one of my sons on RnR (he was 8yo his last visit), but he doesn't want to try looping coasters.

T&B

Antonia:

Your a GREAT Aunt!! I too am in kinda the same shoes as yourself. I (just myself) took my nephews (10 & 13) last June for 2 weeks at Disney World. I too am a 43 yr old "young" (hehe) registered nurse. My nephews had NEVER been to Disney. They got royally introduced to "the Mouse's House." They are now totally consumed! In two weeks we are going back (during their spring break) to spend a week at POR. The best part they've always talked about is the mouse boats. We got the captain's plan and was able to use any of the boats at Riverside during their entire stay (all 2 weeks). :tongue: That's all they want to do this time. Oh, and of course Disney Quest! Another favorite of theirs. They are well behaved kids & I enjoy spoiling them & returning them to their Mother (my sister) after a good "spoiling" :hyper: :hyper: This also gives me time to unwind & let my hair down and enjoy life (rejuvenates the soul) :teeth: What a GREAT way to enjoy life :bounce: :bounce:

Go Antonia with them & enjoy yourselves. Have fun! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter