• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

McQuicke Review: Tusker House Lunch Buffet

mcvixen

Mouseketeer
Here's another quick review of a meal we ate at the Tusker House Buffet.

Date we ate: Saturday, Feb 14th
Time we ate: ADR for 1:40 pm, but were seated late at 1:55pm

Service: Front hostesses were polite but not friendly. Waiter was friendly but busy, and this affected how quickly he was able to respond to our requests. However, despite working a full section, he was still reasonably prompt and remained friendly throughout.

Atmosphere: Fine. Very much a casual-buffet atmosphere.

Food: Summary - Edible, about one notch better than eating at a food court in a mall. A few of the selections were quite good, but a few were inedible.

Ok, here goes.... All of the "mainstream" buffet choices were reasonably good. The roast beef & pork, the caeser salad, tomato-cucumber salad, green beans, roasted potatoes were fine. And if you want to see every possible variation of green-bean cuisine, people, this buffet is for you.

(And another quick aside - I can't decide if it's annoying or cute when themed restaurants try to fool you into thinking that a dish is more "ethnic" or "authentically (fill in the blank with whatever nationality you want)" by sticking a fancy name on it. Case in point? Spice-rubbed rotisserie chicken? It's just rotisserie chicken, folks. And Peri-peri salmon? Yup, you guessed it... it's just regular salmon.)

Negatives: Almost every truly "ethnic" type dish I tried, I didn't much like. The Cape Malay Curry Chicken was very bitter - either someone burnt the curry paste or the mix from the jar was too old. The Saffron vegetables were nicely done in texture but almost tasteless. The couscous with roasted vegetables? Well, the vegetables were hard and managed to pull off the interesting trick of being extremely hot (spicy hot, not temperature) without being very flavorful (ugh).

Overall, what killed this buffet for me was the sheer repetitiveness of the starch dishes. There were three couscous, three rice, one orzo, and one tabouleh. As a result, almost every starch dish started looking like a variation of Rice-a-Roni, and I couldn't remember which was which.

Finding Nemo Show Package: Getting the priority seating for the Finding Nemo musical was the only reason we ate at this restaurant, and I suspect most of the people there that afternoon were doing the same. If you are planning on doing the Nemo combo, the reserved seating (and avoiding the huge wait in line), is a really nice bonus. However, I'd recommend getting the earliest seating possible that still gets you into the show. We had the 1:40 seating and it was definitely too rushed.

Conclusion: For us? We wouldn't waste the time or money eating here again. It ranks as one of the poorest meals eaten in WDW.

We were there in November. I don't remember any specific dishes but neither my husband nor I cared for it. We'll never go back.

Shoot. We used to LOVE lunch at Tusker House before it went buffet. Sitting outside by the bar- music playing eating delicious chicken and yes green beans:rotfl2: and my husband enjoyed the salmon. And what we loved about it was that it was reasonable.
The kids all would have a chicken leg with rice. It was such a nice change from the regular counter service.

I was hoping the buffet would include our favorites- but I guess in buffet form they are not as perfectly fresh as they used to be.

Too bad.

Like Java, I loved the old Tusker House. Their roasted chicken with mash and gravy and fresh green beans was nice change of pace from the usual CS entrees.

We haven't been to the Tusker buffet and probably won't ever go. We hated the flavors at Boma (yes, I know most Disers love it) and fear we'd dislike TH for the same reason. I didn't find Boma's spices hot or interesting--just weird and cloyingly sweet.

I agree, I loved the old Tusker House. We ate lunch there and we loved to stop and get coffee and cheese danish early in the morning after we came off the Safari ride.

Did you enjoy the Nemo thing? I was really thinking of skipping it. My son (8) saw a bit of it on youtube and thought the people with puppets in front of them was too lame for him? I am not too into shows either. I would love to know what you thought.

Thanks for the review. We've considered this place for a future trip and have been on the fence. I think we'll continue to pass it up.

Thank you for the kind comments, I'm so glad if others enjoy my reviews.

Our family very much enjoyed the Nemo Musical. The "puppets" were quite well done and we thought it was an interesting technique and presentation that was pretty faithful to the movie. Our daughter was completely mesmerized by it all and she quite quite liked it. Now, all that being said, DD only just turned 5, and she has never seen the Nemo movie yet, so I'm not sure if you would have the same enthusiastic reaction from a more sophisticated & mature 8 year old boy.

If you are going to see the musical on a busy day, it definitely WAS worth having the priority seating, because we walked past the lineup to get into the theatre and the crowd was huuuuge (we were there on the Saturday of President's weekend, we didn't realize what a big holiday that is for Americans!). The wait time was easily over an hour to get in, and we got to spend that hour eating.... green beans!

:rotfl2:

Thanks for your review. We have ADRs for our first lunch at TH in May, and I'm a little nervous after reading about your experience, but I think I'll go ahead, because I really want that reserved seating for the Nemo show (we have a 1:00 ADR).

Could you explain the procedure for getting to the reserved seating at the Nemo show? Do they have a special line or entrance for the Tusker House people, and how early did you have to get there?

The procedure for the Nemo musical priority seating was very easy.

Upon check-in at Tusker House, we simply mentioned that we made ADRs for the Nemo show package. We then received a small card (about the size of a postcard), upon which the hostess wrote the name & number of our party. We were given directions about handing the card in at the show doors, where to go, etc.

After eating lunch, we *quickly* made our way to the Finding Nemo Musical, which is in Dinoland. We wound up walking past a very long line of people waiting to get in, and we couldn't help but feeling just a *little* bit smug..... at the back entrance of the building was hostess standing near a sign. We gave her our card and got to wait in a nicely shaded, fairly secluded area by a separate entrance. Washrooms were nearby, which was very nice for freshening up after our lunch.

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy the musical.

thank you for your review. I enoy reading yours because I am usually looking for a specific restaurant when I log onto the review boards and you make it so easy to find the restaurant.
It was sad to hear about the quality of your lunch. We have eaten breakfast here the last two visits and loved it and we were looking forward to trying lunch. DH is really looking forward to Nemo, so this was taking care of two things at once.
I will let you know if it has gotten any better when we return in April.
Thanks again for your honest reviews!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter