MCO to Port Canaveral

Travelbee

DIS Veteran
It's been more than 4 years since we've taken a cruise out of Port Canaveral and I need some advice. I used to rent a car (one-way) from MCO to Port Canaveral and use the free shuttle from the rental car company to get to the port. Back in 2009, this only costs $40-$50. Now I can't find a one-way rental for less than $100. Any suggestions? That price opens up other options like DCL transfer, private shuttle, etc. We will be flying into MCO the morning of the cruise and flying out the same day post cruise. There will be 3 of us traveling.

It's been more than 4 years since we've taken a cruise out of Port Canaveral and I need some advice. I used to rent a car (one-way) from MCO to Port Canaveral and use the free shuttle from the rental car company to get to the port. Back in 2009, this only costs $40-$50. Now I can't find a one-way rental for less than $100. Any suggestions? That price opens up other options like DCL transfer, private shuttle, etc. We will be flying into MCO the morning of the cruise and flying out the same day post cruise. There will be 3 of us traveling.

If your paying around 100 for a rental, you should look into a car service, saves time for about the same price

If I were flying in the morning of the cruise, I would use Disney transportation for that day. Make SURE they know you are on your way, and if there's an accident along the highway that delays you, you're in Disney's hands instead of, well, not.

If you're looking at car rentals months and months from now, know that they often come down quite a bit.

Hi Connie! We've used DCL transportation for all 3 of our cruises that departed from PC and have been very happy with our experiences. The first two times we flew in to Orlando the day of the cruise, and I just felt more secure knowing that we would be in DCL's hands. Also, riding in the DCL-themed bus and watching the video that's shown are fun ways to get into "cruise mode." We're flying in the day before this time and staying at the MCO Hyatt, and we're debating whether to use DCL transportation or Tiffany Towncars. TT charges $115 each way + tip so DCL transport would be cheaper for the 3 of us, but I like that TT will make a stop on the way to PC. I'd like to take a little beer and wine onboard this time. Either way, we'll definitely take DCL transportation back to MCO so we can use onboard airline check-in. LOVE that program!

Are you taking a red eye into MCO?

Using Budget's website along with BCD code S208200 and using an American Express card for a Thursday in January, 2014 I get a price of $53.29 for a compact class car.

Be sure to sign up for Budget's FREE frequent renter program - it will shorten any lines significantly.

We've used Budget several times and it has worked out great! Be sure to drop off your passengers and luggage at the port BEFORE returning the car! Allow one hour for transport back to the ship. Cape Canaveral's rental office gets a bit crazy with noobs and kettles.

grab a discount code from forums like flyertalk.

You can easily get a car for the price you are used to.

Keep trying different codes to get the best price. Lately Budget has beat the others for low cost.

We are a family of 5 and I never drop anyone off at the port first. We all just get on the Budget shuttle to the port. Budget usually has several running on port days.

Rental car companies can change rates everyday. I was able to get SUV for $63 including all taxes for our trip next week for one way rental. $58 for return trip in premium class. Mousesavers always has some good codes and usually up to date.

:cool1:

I'm sailing on the Dream the day after your departure on the Fantasy. I've been pricing this out for months.
Since you are flying in on your sail date I'd assume you'd want a quick, easy option. Think about what your worst case scenario is. A late flight will leave you scrambling to get your luggage and get your car and drive to an unfamiliar place then return the car and get to the port to check in. Whew!
A one way rental is expensive.The closest rental company to the port that also has an in terminal rental counter is Budget, and that is $107 for Economy. Might get cheaper, but that time of year I'm not sure by how much.And you'd didn't mention what your transportation will be after your trip.
I got a quote for a round trip car service for $275 plus tip for the four of us.
With just the three of you, I'd suggest you use Disney transportation.$70pp/rt and they'll handle your luggage. Easy peasy.

Thanks everyone for your input! I still have almost six months so I think I'll keep shopping around for cheap rental car rates.

I'd like to take a little beer and wine onboard this time. Either way, we'll definitely take DCL transportation back to MCO so we can use onboard airline check-in. LOVE that program!
Forgot about this part - I know there's a reason we prefer the rental car option!

Are you taking a red eye into MCO?

Using Budget's website along with BCD code S208200 and using an American Express card for a Thursday in January, 2014 I get a price of $53.29 for a compact class car.

Be sure to sign up for Budget's FREE frequent renter program - it will shorten any lines significantly.
Thanks! I'll look into that. We've used Budget in the past and the process is pretty straight forward. We are taking a red eye - getting in at 6 am. That's another reason we'd prefer a rental car, it'd be us a way to find a nice place for breakfast, etc. since we won't be allow in the terminal until 10 ish.

Hi!
Im not sure if this question is already covered in a thread. Im new to this!
We are a family of 3 and Im trying to figure out the best way to travel from:
MCO to Hilton Bonnet Creek(On Disney Property)Staying 1 night before departing
Hilton Bonnet Creek to Port Canaveral
Port Canaveral to MCO

Thanks for any suggestions

Has anyone tried Friendly Transportation?? It's $36 return trip pp! I'm staying one night in Port Canaveral before and one night in Orlando after. This is our first cruise and prefer not to drive last time we drove to port canaveral was on our honeymoon 24 yrs ago lol

A little off topic, is it easy to get a taxi from the budget drop off to the terminal? It would save DH time waiting for the shuttle.

Hi! Im not sure if this question is already covered in a thread. Im new to this! We are a family of 3 and Im trying to figure out the best way to travel from: MCO to Hilton Bonnet Creek(On Disney Property)Staying 1 night before departing Hilton Bonnet Creek to Port Canaveral Port Canaveral to MCO Thanks for any suggestions

How long is your cruise? For the first 36 hrs I would suggest a rental car with pick up at MCO and drop off at the port. Then take Disney shuttle to MCO at the end of your trip. Yes, the Disney transfer will be $105 but a car won't save you a ton of cash and we have found at the end of they cruise it is the simplistic thing to do.

We arrive 2 days before our Fantasy sailing Feb 1. I managed to get a one-way rental from Dollar for a minivan from MCO to Port Canaveral with coupon code RWUE1 for $35/day +taxes, etc. :cool1: From PC to MCO after the cruise was double the price though! I agree with other posters, if you're going to pay around $100, use a limo or private car service. We've used Happy Limo in the past. It's so much more convenient especially if you're flying in/out on the same day as cruise departure/arrival.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the best transportation plan, too...but we are a family of 6. Any shuttles, limos, taxis, are far from economical! I'm guessing a car rental (actually, a big van to fit us all and our luggage!) is going to be the best way to go?

Ahhh! We have everything arranged for our March cruise except the transportation.

Apparently the coupon code is expired.

We have a minivan from Budget (rate still available is you use a code) for $65 + taxes each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter