MCO car rentals—skip the counter

Herding_Cats

DIS Veteran
Which rental car companies at MCO have programs that will let you skip the counter when you book through a 3rd party (such as chase or UT)?

I know

yeah we've used alamo in the past, and hertz and been able to skip the counter. I'm just trying to balance my desire to save money with my need to not have 4 kids waiting an hour+ for me to get through the rental car counter line. LOL

UT is going to be harder to get because the discount code they are giving my preclude elite benefits like skipping the counter. Generally if you're allowed to put your number in while booking you should be alright. I know I've skipped the counter with both Hertz, National and Alamo using Autoslash which books through Priceline. Chase may actually depend on what card's travel portal you are booking through right now. The Sapphire Reserve is still booking through Expedia but all of the others I believe have migrated back to the previous platform which wasn't as customer friendly.

Edited to Add: When I was at MCO in October there was no wait at any of the rental counters.

UT is going to be harder to get because the discount code they are giving my preclude elite benefits like skipping the counter. Generally if you're allowed to put your number in while booking you should be alright. I know I've skipped the counter with both Hertz, National and Alamo using Autoslash which books through Priceline. Chase may actually depend on what card's travel portal you are booking through right now. The Sapphire Reserve is still booking through Expedia but all of the others I believe have migrated back to the previous platform which wasn't as customer friendly.

Edited to Add: When I was at MCO in October there was no wait at any of the rental counters.

Yeah the chase portal is pretty disappointing right now. Their prices for the size vehicle we need are like $1000 more than booking directly. And we are looking for a spring break trip rental, so I'm SURE there is going to be a massive wait at the counters. Ugh.

Yeah the chase portal is pretty disappointing right now. Their prices for the size vehicle we need are like $1000 more than booking directly. And we are looking for a spring break trip rental, so I'm SURE there is going to be a massive wait at the counters. Ugh.
Autoslash is your friend when looking for car rentals. Both in the initial search and keeping an eye on it for price drops. I just looked and a large SUV was available for the first week in April for $300.

Autoslash is definitely worth using. It's free and will continue to look for deals for you. I was able to cut my rental rate in half using it! I can't speak to being able to skip the counter, but I think that varies by rental company anyway. Check the MCO site to see which companies have a skip the counter option and if you use Autoslash, only accept offers from those companies. Good luck!

We used to use National and skipped the line. They still have it, but their prices went way up. We have used Alamo the last few years. As long as you pay attention and click all the right boxes, skipping the line is easy. You just find you car, load your luggage and drive to the check out. When we have pre-paid, its even easier.

If you are picking up a rental car at MCO be sure and check out the Visitor Toll Pass app you can download before your trip. You pick up a tag in the airport to hang off your rear view mirror and then you need not stop at any toll booths. Return the tag after your trip for a $10 credit toward your toll charges. The tolls are charged at the cheapest rate. It is a marvelous addition to the service at the Orlando airport for visitors renting cars.

If you are picking up a rental car at MCO be sure and check out the Visitor Toll Pass app you can download before your trip. You pick up a tag in the airport to hang off your rear view mirror and then you need not stop at any toll booths. Return the tag after your trip for a $10 credit toward your toll charges. The tolls are charged at the cheapest rate. It is a marvelous addition to the service at the Orlando airport for visitors renting cars.
Works great if you're flying in on SW or don't have checked bags. If you're arriving on one of the legacies the only place to pick up the sticker is on the opposite side of the airport from where you're bags are going to be. If the tolls are a concern you can buy any EZ-Pass transponder from Amazon.

Works great if you're flying in on SW or don't have checked bags. If you're arriving on one of the legacies the only place to pick up the sticker is on the opposite side of the airport from where you're bags are going to be. If the tolls are a concern you can buy any EZ-Pass transponder from Amazon.
Have they finally updated Florida tolls to to accept EZ-Pass? That would be awesome and would allow us to close our SunPass account since we only use it for trips to Florida.

Sorry, slightly off-topic. We've been able to use our Blue Chip card with Thrifty at MCO to bypass the counter. Also have the Alamo card to do the same. I expect most of the major renting companies at MCO have a way to go online and check-in with all your important information (including a credit card) so you can go right to your car.

Have they finally updated Florida tolls to to accept EZ-Pass? That would be awesome and would allow us to close our SunPass account since we only use it for trips to Florida.

Sorry, slightly off-topic. We've been able to use our Blue Chip card with Thrifty at MCO to bypass the counter. Also have the Alamo card to do the same. I expect most of the major renting companies at MCO have a way to go online and check-in with all your important information (including a credit card) so you can go right to your car.
As of Memorial Day weekend all EZ-Pass compatible transponders work everywhere in FL. I used my IL IPass on 417, 528 and the Turnpike in October, took an extra day for the tolls to show up but otherwise worked fine.

Download the mobile app of whatever rental car company you pick and join their club. There's absolutely zero reason to ever wait in line at MCO, no matter what third party you book through.

Download the mobile app of whatever rental car company you pick and join their club. There's absolutely zero reason to ever wait in line at MCO, no matter what third party you book through.
Sure there is, Money. Enterprise specifically calls out 3rd party pre-paid reservations as not qualifying for elite benefits in their T&Cs. Looking at Spring Break time, Fox is half or less the cost of the majors. If I were going to be there for a week I would consider taking a shuttle and spending some time in line to save $300. Some of the 3rd parties don't provide a space to put in your membership number, and some of the rental companies won't let you add it after the fact, especially if it's 3rd party. Everyone puts a different amount on the inconvenience of taking a shuttle, or having to go to the counter. While that number may be higher for you than for others, I'm sure there is still a number that you find acceptable.

Sure there is, Money. Enterprise specifically calls out 3rd party pre-paid reservations as not qualifying for elite benefits in their T&Cs. Looking at Spring Break time, Fox is half or less the cost of the majors. If I were going to be there for a week I would consider taking a shuttle and spending some time in line to save $300. Some of the 3rd parties don't provide a space to put in your membership number, and some of the rental companies won't let you add it after the fact, especially if it's 3rd party. Everyone puts a different amount on the inconvenience of taking a shuttle, or having to go to the counter. While that number may be higher for you than for others, I'm sure there is still a number that you find acceptable.
Skipping the counter is not an "elite benefit."

Skipping the counter is not an "elite benefit."
Extreme discounted rates the OP is talking about from UT are ineligible for skipping the line with Budget and Avis. They do not let you add your fastbreak or wizard number to UT reservations so you have to go to the counter. Yes, there are outliers that have had their loyalty numbers added to the UT reservations by contacting support but you're more likely to be told no than have it added.

Can't speak for the other car rental companies there as I only have experience with those two.

Discounted rates from Costco do allow you to add your fastbreak or wizard number to the reservation, which get the reservation to show up in the rental company's app and allow you to skip the line.

Frequency has nothing to do with it. Your first and only rental in your entire life with Hertz still qualifies for skipping the counter.
Change the term, it means the same thing. Loyalty Program, Frequent renter, Club. Whatever you want to call it, some companies do not extend the benefits of membership to 3rd party reservations. National/Enterprise specifically call out 3rd party prepaid reservations and not getting benefits.
And no, if you have not rented with a Hertz affiliated company before you would need to go to the counter to have Driver's License and Credit Card verified. I've had to do it after I moved and my license changed states.
To specifically answer the OP's question, I just read an account on another traveler forum of someone that rented through the Chase portal twice with Hertz and was not allowed to skip the counter either time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter