• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

McDonalds is the "new" Starbucks?

This is essential. Many folks put significant amounts of cream or milk into their coffee, so if you use less, or none, or powder, you'll find coffee, served at a reasonable temperature for those who are adding real dairy, to be "too hot". Keep in mind that you, at least, can wait for it to cool off; they, on the other hand, couldn't wait for it to warm up, should coffee be served at "your" temperature instead of theirs.

nuh-uh. I'm one of those cream and sugar gals. Still hotter than the surface of the sun. I burn my mouth, with the welts to prove it, when I try to drink that stuff, even after I've add my cream. And I like hot coffee, not luke-warm or room temperature. Starbucks is hot too, but I don't have to wait nearly as long to get it to a drinkable temp. I also think that the higher McD's temps is bad for brewing coffee.

But hey, I'll go to SB's (or my home brewed Trader Joe's) and you go to McD's and the lines will be that much shorter for both of us! :thumbsup2

Ideal water temperature for brewing coffee is 195 to 200 degrees.

I've never tried McDonald's coffee, but I doubt that they brew hotter than that, and doubt that they serve hotter than that.

Maybe your issue is with the cups... perhaps McDonald's uses styrofoam (which should keep coffee hotter, longer, than cardboard?)

One of the options for Starbucks lattes is extra hot. It's not the espresso that's not hot enough, it's the milk. Those lattes are mostly milk (and water, but you can also specify no water.)

It still is not very hot-cooler than coffee I brew at home, or lattes I make at home, for that matter. It is only one more tiny burst of steam. I worked at Gloria Jean's and that's all the machine would allow.
I am sure it is because somebody dropped it on themself and sued. Gee...coffee is hot?!?

I priced my McD's for their Premium Roast Coffee today...$1.69 for large and $2.69 for large iced.

Ours does Hazelnut, Vanilla and Mac Nut too.

Didn't price what was at the "Cafe."

Ideal water temperature for brewing coffee is 195 to 200 degrees.

I've never tried McDonald's coffee, but I doubt that they brew hotter than that, and doubt that they serve hotter than that.

Maybe your issue is with the cups... perhaps McDonald's uses styrofoam (which should keep coffee hotter, longer, than cardboard?)

That could be, and it could be that McD's has lowered the temp since I had it last, I think it's been well over a year, maybe longer, since I was desperate enough to get coffee from them.

ehh. Now I don't like Starbucks coffee(it always tastes burnt) but I do get some stuff from there like tea and chai lattes...
but I certainly wouldn't get anything from McDonald's either..yuck...But I guess it's worth them giving it a try, maybe some people will switch over...I'd rather just make my own coffee at home than eat or drink anything from McDonald's...

or I feel the need to spend on coffee, I'll stick with Seattle's Best or our local coffeehouse..

I'm a Starbucks fan and grab a Grande Mochachino, with 3x the shots of espresso, anytime I'm near one. Yeah, it costs me over $7 but since the closest one is about an hour away it's a nice treat. The closest McDonald's is about 30 miles away and only has the usual stuff, which isn't stroong enough for me. If they put in a cafe type thing near here I'm sure I'll be one of their steady customers.

Well, it wasn't always "just coffee".

Back in the day, in many east coast and west coast urban and suburban areas, most coffee out there tasted like the water it is brewed in, which often included hints of disinfectant or mold. There was a distinct aversion, on the part of coffee purveyors to using enough grounds to have the coffee actually taste like coffee.
I've loved my New Orleans coffee for decades. I used to NEVER drink coffee unless I was in New Orleans.

It's strong and is most often French Roast - and it does NOT necessarily contain chicory.

Several people have mentioned the pastries at Starbucks. I've tried them several times at Starbucks across the country - they are invariably stale and tasteless. I just assumed that they didn't have much turnover and sat there too many days. I continued to try them when I was desperate for something to eat.

That is a pretty big difference. I think the thing I like the least is the options that you don't have that you have a SBucks.

I think that's the point, C. Ann. Their coffee ISN'T any more expensive. At least in my area. A tall black coffee at Starbucks is $1.50. A coffee at McDonalds, Chick Fil A, Krispy Kreme, etc are all about $1.50. I don't know why people think Starbucks plain black coffee is so pricey :confused3

(for the record, I can't drink Starbucks coffee as it's too hard on my stomach)

The only time I have had Starbucks coffee was twice in Orlando - because I was desperate (out shopping) and beginning to get a migraine.. I paid $2.99 for a small coffee (just a regular coffee) and the stuff nearly killed me!! It was like drinking battery acid.. Yuck!!

Well, it wasn't always "just coffee".

So to answer your comment more directly, Ann, all coffee is not the same. Between the quality of the beans themselves, and the roast applied to them, completely different beverages result. Saying it is all just coffee is like saying all wine is "just wine". Sure, you could take dishwater and pour in enough sugar and cream to make it taste good, but that's just a sugar and cream beverage, not coffee. There is a specific taste that is coffee, and people who actually like coffee can appreciate the difference between good coffee and not-so-good coffee.
-------------------

For me, it is always "just coffee" - and it must be Folgers.. Any other kind of coffee has too many chemicals in it and leaves me feeling as though rats are trying to chew their way out of my stomach..:eek:

I never buy coffee "out" anywhere unless I am completely desperate and must get a cup of coffee to ward off a migraine.. And when I do get that coffee, I want it to be "just coffee".. I don't want "flavors" in it - I don't want whipped cream in it - I don't want ice cream in it - or any of the other weird concoctions they have come up with.. So you see - for me it's always been - and always will be - "just coffee".. Folgers and nothing else..;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter