McCain's comments on Walt Disney World

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
From the Orlando Sentinel:

McCain on Disney and tourism policy
posted by Jason Garcia on Jan 24, 2008 10:11:22 AM

Republican presidential contender John McCain, in Orlando yesterday for a wide-ranging forum on economic issues, had lots of praise -- and just a little teasing -- for Walt Disney World.

As the discussion turned to health-care, McCain noted Disney's recent announcement that it will build a $6 million, on-site health clinic for its more than 40,000 full-time employees and their dependents. McCain said the clinic, once open in early 2009, will "have achieved a level of healthcare provision for employees there that's been a model and attracted a lot of international attention and respect."

Of course, McCain also couldn't resist teasing the entertainment giant, which now charges $71 for a one-day theme-park ticket. It came as Florida Hospital executive Des Cummings Jr. told McCain about Disney's decision a few years ago to rework its menu and offer healthier fare.

"Did they decide to lower some of the costs?" McCain interjected, drawing a roomful of rueful laughter.

Disney and others in the tourism industry might be less amused with something else McCain had to say a little later on.

The tourism industry has spent months lobbying Washington leaders to establish an overseas advertising campaign to combat negative perceptions of the United States -- funded at first by a taxpayer loan and later by fees on foreign visa applications. But when Gatorland President and CEO Mark McHugh asked McCain whether the U.S. government should be involved in international tourism promotion, McCain suggested that should mostly be the job of commercial businesses.

"I, frankly, think that we have ways of promoting the greatness and beauty of the United States without as much federal government as maybe you would like to see," McCain said.

Among other ways to improve the U.S. images that McCain mentioned: Developing and using better technology to reduce the security and bureaucratic hurdles facing foreign travelers who want to come to the U.S.

McCain added: "I think the other thing is that our image in the world, in some ways, has suffered because of the war in Iraq. I would, as president of the United States, declare we will never torture another person who is in our custody. I would declare that we would close Guantanamo Bay and move those prisoners to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. I would announce a United States commitment to a global agreement on climate change -- but it has to include India and China....And, frankly, I would also be a lot more humble."

See, and all this time folks thought it was a DVC they are building at the Contemporary...its really a hospital with a great view. :rotfl2:

Truthfully, I think it is great for Disney, or any other company, to provide a dedicated health facility. Where is it supposed to be built, over by the warehousing/shipping and CM credit union?

:surfweb: kinda off topic but we meet John McCain in the airport in Washington ,DC this summer and he was a really nice guy.

See, and all this time folks thought it was a DVC they are building at the Contemporary...its really a hospital with a great view. :rotfl2:

Truthfully, I think it is great for Disney, or any other company, to provide a dedicated health facility. Where is it supposed to be built, over by the warehousing/shipping and CM credit union?

ITs apparently being built in epcot's cast parking lot... now there is no parking for those with later shifts... kinda like they are doing at studios with the BPB parade buildings. Whereas I see the need to expand outside of the park limits at studios... not exactly sure why they would rip out cast parking at epcot for a a building that really has nothing to do with it. (the current health services building is located there, but such a facility as the new one deserves a new location...)

I heard if Obama becomes president he will make an immediate executive order to bring gratuities and appetizers back to the dining plan!!!!!!!!!

^ probably, and it will be free because we "DESERVE" it, while those folks who DO pay taxes end up paying 3 times as much. sounds like a decent plan as it has been applied to every other aspect of the federal government

So that's what's going up at Epcot? I was there last week and we were wondering what it was they were building in the parking lot. Thanks for the info.

Terry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter