Mazda CX5 or Hyundai Santa Fe owners?

njsweetP

DIS Veteran
I am in the market for a new car and was looking for input on the either the Mazda or Hyundai. Right now I have a Cheverolet HHR and it's time to get rid of it. Going to test drive the Mazda today and hopefully the Hyundai as well (If time permits). Thoughts on either car? Thanks!

We had a Santa Fe for 10 years and just traded it in last spring (for a Mazda CX-9)...that car made it through a cross country trek, three kids, two dogs and almost 200,000 miles without a problem. It was a great car. We liked ours so much that we recommended it our parents and they now drive one. They love it too.

Not very familiar with the Mazda 5, but our CX-9 has done pretty well for the first year of its life with us. We have a few complaints: it's difficult to be heard when you're talking hands free, and the audio system doesn't show any song/artist info when operating over Bluetooth. They could use a serious audio overhaul. Other than that, a decent car.

I am in the market for a new car and was looking for input on the either the Mazda or Hyundai. Right now I have a Cheverolet HHR and it's time to get rid of it. Going to test drive the Mazda today and hopefully the Hyundai as well (If time permits). Thoughts on either car? Thanks!

I have a Sante Fe, 2005 I think, it has around 125,000 miles on it. Although it looks a bit worse for wear now after a few minor fenderbenders over the years, it has been a great car for us.

Back in 2005, when I was looking for a new car, I had very specific things that I was looking for. I needed something with higher clearance than a car. Due to my job at the time, I needed good cargo space, and I wanted a cargo area that was near waist height and flat so that I did not have to bend and lift to get things in and out.
I also wanted something with a backseat that could fit three large adults for a short amount of time without having a seat belt poking you in the rear, and I needed room for an infant car seat and other people in back.

I have never had any mechanical problems that were due to typical wear and tear. It never needed any repairs when under warranty.

The only issue that I have with it now, is that we live in a very rural area, and it is difficult to get it worked on now. Last year, it was making an awful noise and our local mechanic thought it was something serious but couldn't/wouldn't try to fix it. We had to haul it 2 hrs to a Hyndai dealership and leave it there for two weeks until we could go back to get it. The repair was actually pretty minor. It was something to do with the timing belt needing to be replaced. That repair cost less that $500.

I would not hesitate to purchase another Hyndai if we still lived in the big city where service was more readily available. It has needed the leAst amount of repairs of any vehicle we have ever owned. Too be honest, I Don't think I would get another Sante Fe because my needs have changed. I don't need the cargo space anymore, and I don't have kids in car seats anymore. We have a F250 4 door that we use for traveling and anytime the whole family is in the vehicle. All I need now is something small for around town.

Love my Santa Fe. It is a 2007 and I've had it for 1 1/2 years. My parents had it before me and loved it. We are Honda/Toyota snobs and I only got this car since my parents sold it to us cheap and it was needed since DD got her license. We now need a 4th car and I really like my Santa Fe and don't want to give it to the kids to get a new car.

I have a 2008 Santa Fe with the 3rd row seating and love it. It has almost 100,000 miles on it and I've had zero problems with it. It is the main car we use when we travel. Its very roomy also. When I'm ready to get a new car, I will definitely get another Santa Fe.
Not familiar with the Mazda at all. Although I've been told by a mechanic friend that Mazda's seem to have transmission issues.

We have an 01 Santa Fe with 140K miles. Last year, we replaced the steering column, but other than that, it is still kicking. Mileage is not great - about 20 miles to the gallon. Then again, I drive a Prius, so it is our back up car.

It too has been across country, up and down the west coast, and survived a kid and a few moves.

I have a 2006 Santa Fe, about 88,000 miles, and it's been great. Hyundai service is terrific. We just had our first major problem with it, and it was all covered (except for one part, don't know why) by the extended warranty we bought -- the coverage paid for the warranty and more (I know financial experts usually advise against buying extended warranties, but it wasn't that much and has now saved us money). I see keeping this car for many more years, passing it along to my DS in a couple of years.

CX5 is smaller than the new Santa FE. Can you give us more details as to what you are looking for in a car/suv?

I have a 2005 Mazda5 which is a POS. The fit and finish is crap, the suspension is terrible (I replaced it once already and needs it again), the tires were terrible & I replaced the clutch (I have a 5-speed) at only 70,000 miles. I will NEVER buy another Mazda. Ever. The Santa Fe was on my short list when I bough the Mazda and I wish I had bought it instead.

I have a 2010 Limited Santa Fe AWD that I purchased in November. LOVE IT!!! It's plenty roomy (this was my upgrade from a Camry) and feels high enough from the ground without being gigantic. Great gas mileage for an SUV (I average 18/19 around town and 23+ highway). Does great in the snow and heavy slushy rain here in MA. Love the "locking" AWD button..and the Bluetooth...and the heated seats!

I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with 90k miles. Just had my first repair, bad gas sensors. Was about $400 to repair.
It's fully loaded with wood trim ect.
I love this car and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Saw some at the dealership while I was waiting on the repair and I was drooling.
The 2013's are gorgeous. 21k gets you a pretty nice one and that's the sticker price. I bet you can do better than that.

My friend has one. I don't know yr I'd guess 2001 ish. She seems to like it and few times I've driven it it drove nice. I personally would want some kind of AWD which hers doesn't have. Until last year I can't say she's had any issues with it, last year it seems as if stuff has hit her like crazy, some could be normal maintence stuff, I know she had something with steering/wheel bearing going on but not sure of details.

I had a 2007 Santa Fe and absolutely LOVED it! It was totaled in a t-bone crash (it protected me, DH & my 2yo DD just fine, btw) and I miss that thing so much. I replaced it with an 07 Toyota Rav-4 and am now onto an 07 Toyota Sienna because, SURRISE! TWINS! and every time I drive pass a Santa Fe, I still pine after it.

I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with 90k miles. Just had my first repair, bad gas sensors. Was about $400 to repair.
It's fully loaded with wood trim ect.
I love this car and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Saw some at the dealership while I was waiting on the repair and I was drooling.
The 2013's are gorgeous. 21k gets you a pretty nice one and that's the sticker price. I bet you can do better than that.

My Santa Fe had the same thing happen to the gas sensors so perhaps it's a common problem? Mine was thankfully still under warranty when it happened.

The only complaint I had about the vehicle is that when I was sitting on the passenger's side, I was too light to trigger the air bags. I don't really consider myself that terribly thing... I'm 5'6" and at the time was probably 120-125lb. Took it into the dealership because I thought something was broken with it and nope, just didn't weigh enough. When our car accident happened, I was driving & DH was in the passenger's seat so both air bags deployed... neither of us hit the air bags, but it did worry me to think what would have happened if the accident had been worse & DH had been driving instead of me.

I just got rid of my 2004 Santa Fe because of the gas sensor issue. My check engine light was on nearly continuously for four years. The code was always the same. I changed the sensor twice and the light was back on within a month. I had to reset the system to pass inspection every year. This year, it would NOT reset. In NC, you have to prove you attempted to fix the problem. So I replaced the sensor again. Check engine light was still on. I finally spent enough money that the state le me pass inspection. I've heard of multiple others with the same problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter