• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maybe you can help -- Child hates buses

rentingspace

love life & live it!! Love my boys!
It's not really a problem but a delima! We have an autisitc son who will not go on a bus for school. Not sure why he hates the bus, could be the color for all we know. Here's my thing. I can have a van pick us up at the airport so that takes care of that bus trip,(for 110.00)(round trip), but we want to go to Animal Kingdom. To get there you have to take a BUS. Or choice #2, we can rent a car for 184.00 then we would have to drive and park the car all week ,until we go to Animal Kingdom. What would you do?He might even get use to a bus idea if he does hop on the boat and monarail. I'm think of a taxi maybe for the day of Animal Kingdom, but I need one with 2 car seats. :confused3 All this for a day at Animal Kingdom.:worship: Anyone have a way out? Thanks for any suggestions:flower3:

I would post this question over on the disabilities board also, you'll get more options.

I was wondering if you called Disney and explained the situation, if they have an alternative mode of transportation for the day you go to AK.

I know that when we split our stay between 2 resorts last year, they offered us a ride in a disney van over to our new hotel to check in. You never know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm think of a taxi maybe for the day of Animal Kingdom, but I need one with 2 car seats.

Do you have 2 adults on the trip? If so, why not send DS with one adult in the taxi while the rest of the family takes the bus? They could take the stroller in the cab and meet you at the park entrance if the stroller is an issue.

Another possibility to save money is to rent a car only for your first or last day, or even both, using a company with an onsite facility. Since a car rental day is actually 24 hours, you could do the airport run *and* AK on one rental day if you time it right.

Hi,
I've worked with Lifeskills children in our school who also would NOT take the bus to school because of fear issues. However, when taking a field trip from school, they'd walk right on...mostly because their aide or teacher was going along for the ride. Do you think perhaps that you son would be more comfortable since you will be riding as well?

If not, my vote would be rent a car.
My husband prefers not to drive when we are in Disney, but I have found it a RELIEF not to have to ride on a crowded bus or a crowded monorail, and instead just get in our own car, with its own personal space! Just something to think about. Have a great time!

Do you have an airport near you? If you do, you might try going there and parking in the cheap lot, and seeing if he'd get on the bus to go to the terminal. He might be willing to do a bus with you guys there. Plus, he might be ok with knowing it will take him to AK and not school. Good luck!

Do you have an airport near you? If you do, you might try going there and parking in the cheap lot, and seeing if he'd get on the bus to go to the terminal. He might be willing to do a bus with you guys there. Plus, he might be ok with knowing it will take him to AK and not school. Good luck!

I think this is a great idea! Even if you have a local transit bus in your town/city. See if he is more comfortable with you there. Another poster mentioned the crowded busses. This may become an issue too. I know the autistic children I have taught have had difficulty with large crowds, especially if they are packed closely together. If you think your son would have trouble with this, the busses are most definately not for you! There are times you barely have enough air to breathe.

Admittedly, I know very little about autism. That said, I think the peace of mind having your own car would give you is well worth the $74 (actually only about $50 difference by the time you figure van +tip). WDW can be overwhelming for ANY child. And packing into a bus at the end of a very long day can be less than enjoyable for anyone. If it's financially doable, I'd get the rental car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter