Maybe We've been too many times

sweetbambi

Mouseketeer
Our family lives in Georgia and goes to Florida at least once a year and have been for 20 years or so. This year it will just be my husband and I, no children or grandchildren, on first a four day Disney cruise and then a four night stay at Port Orleans French Quarter in October. Neither of us are excited about the park part because we've done it so many times and have done everything except the new fantasyland. I know that we're not forced to go--we will have our car--but want to go and have a new attitude. Maybe one of not having to do everything in as short a time as possible and relax more or maybe even doing or own thing for periods of time. Any other suggestions for boredom busters?

I don't knowif you've done this before or not, but we enjoy leaving the parks and touring different resorts. We especially like visiting the boardwalk area. They have a few nice shops, nice restaurants and it's so peaceful and laid back from the hustle and bustle of the parks. The Wyland gallery is there and it's air conditioned bliss just admiring all the different works of art. You could rent one of the tandem bikes and take a little bike ride there too. On the opposite side of the board walk is Beaches and Cream. You could enjoy a little ice cream too.

DH & I went to WDW by ourselves in 2004. It was a celebration of life for him--he had nearly died of septic shock the year before and he had fought hard for 12 months to get back to somewhat normal. We had to take his oxygen and make room in our days for him to lie down and sleep in our room, but it was a lovely trip. Very laid back. Obviously, there would be no commando-plan on this trip. Instead, we took our time. We didn't make rope drop but we did take time to visit the monorail hotels, had tea at the Grand Floridian, had a couples massage, and ate lunch at Kona one day. DH had an ECV, which was great because he could not have even walked from the monorail to Guest Relations at the time.

It was kinda nice to not have to consider the kids on that trip. I love my kids, and they were about 5,7,& 13 at the time, but this couples trip was just the shot of medicine my DH needed. We did a lot of people watching and we rode only those rides that WE like, saw only the shows that WE wanted to see. I was worried that it would be boring, but we had a great time and came home rejuvenated. I wish you the best on your own trip.

Last time we went, me and my husband did not do a lot of parks. We did a lot of nicer restaurants. We watched fireworks from the Poly beach and from Narcoosses. We also went to see Harry Potter at Universal. For us, the highlight is usually the firework shows.

time. Any other suggestions for boredom busters?

It really can reach a point where the only "boredom buster" is an entirely different place. Yes, I *really* said that! ;) DH and I visited all the nicer restaurants, strolled the Boardwalk, drove around Orlando...finally got old. Really old!

It's been much the same for DH an I the past few yrs. We have went solo most of the time for almost 10 yrs now, an have even moved to FL 40 mins from Mickey's world once we retired.

We are still AP holders an still go to Disney at least once a week for a few hours. Even before we moved down here we always knew there would be another trip NO NEED to bust our butts trying to do it all in 1 visit, the excitement to do that just was not there anymore an once we figured that out we enjoyed our visits even more.

WE not into eating fancy in the parks we do enjoy many of the concerts at Epcot, DH loves StarWars weekends at the Studios.

If you haven't already, take some of the tours. My mom and I did that one year and found it was really interesting and something new for us. We did the Keys to the Kingdom, Behind the Seeds and Backstage Safari.

It really can reach a point where the only "boredom buster" is an entirely different place. Yes, I *really* said that! ;) DH and I visited all the nicer restaurants, strolled the Boardwalk, drove around Orlando...finally got old. Really old!

There is so much to see in this world.....go somewhere new!

I was going to say the same thing. If neither of you are excited about going, why go?

:thumbsup2 +1

Contrary to popular belief, there are a gazillon other places on the planet where one can find "magic". LOL.

Cancel the park half and do some thing else. Don't waste your money. It is not going to get "exciting" the closer to your date.

:thumbsup2 +1

Contrary to popular belief, there are a gazillon other places on the planet where one can find "magic". LOL.

Cancel the park half and do some thing else. Don't waste your money. It is not going to get "exciting" the closer to your date.

While I agree that there are many other places in the world to visit, it sounds like the OP will already be in FL visiting family & is bouncing vacation off that. We did the same when our kids were little.

OP, if you stick with WDW... Boardwalk, DTD, water parks, resort hopping, rent boats, play mini golf,...
If you want to skip WDW, maybe pick a coastal town in FL & hit the beach to rest & relax after your cruise?

May I ask WHY you feel compelled to go back? With the kind of budget required for the trip you're describing you've got tons of other options. All the suggestions you're getting about how to stave off humdrum make this trip seem more like "going to work" than a special holiday! It really sounds like it's just time for something new.

My DH and I are going in 2 weeks. First time without the girls. It's a bittersweet trip as we're dropping off my youngest at college 25 minutes away from Disney. I won't be ready to leave her so what better way to chase away the blues then an adult trip to Disney. We are trying some new restaurants that I know the girls wouldn't enjoy, we're planning a night at Jellyrolls, seeing what interests us in the parks and just relaxing by the pool. I am so looking forward to just spending the time with my husband.
I am guessing we will have many trips to Florida in the next 4 years so I think the next place we go will be St. Pete and Clearwater Beach and give Disney a break:faint:

While I agree that there are many other places in the world to visit, it sounds like the OP will already be in FL visiting family & is bouncing vacation off that. We did the same when our kids were little.

OP, if you stick with WDW... Boardwalk, DTD, water parks, resort hopping, rent boats, play mini golf,...
If you want to skip WDW, maybe pick a coastal town in FL & hit the beach to rest & relax after your cruise?

there are 100's of places in Florida to visit. ssssh told tell anyone here but Orlando isn't the only city in Florida.

Sorry still not seeing why some one would spend good, hard earned money and hard earn vacation time on a place they don't really want to go to.

It's only the two of them (no chldren she said) so logistics are much easier. What's the rate of a mod in October. It's got to be a few hundred. you'd pay that KNOWING you were going to be bored?

We too live in GA and went almost yearly while the kids were growing up. In my opinion, Disney has not kept up with Universal in introducing new attractions to keep people coming back. We haven't been in several years and there is still nothing new I really want to experience. We will probably go to Universal next year since we haven't seen Harry Potter World yet.

We're going to Orlando next year & not doing any WDW parks. We've been 7 time in the past 8 years for long, onsite trips (8-12 day trips). This summer we've decided to go to Hilton Head Island (NOT DVC) for a week to give WDW a break. Both kids have expressed an interest in seeing Universal, Sea World and other things...so that's the plan for next year. I may have to sneak in a meal at the Poly and a trip to DTD, but I am not buying Disney park tickets. I'm not. Absolutely not. I'm going to keep repeating that to myself until it sinks in. ;)

Definitely try some of the tours if you haven't done them before.

Do a Segway tour! Or go horseback riding in Fort Wilderness!

There are always new things. Have you done the revised Test Track? Star Wars with the new possible versions?

TP

My first suggestions is to do a back to back cruise and skip WDW! But...since it sounds like you want to go to WDW and need something to get excited about how about Victoria and ALbert's, maybe plan one of the night 'cruises' on the lagoon with the fireworks, take a tour; the Animal Kingdom Sunrise Safari sounds SO cool.

You could always visit some of the other amazing places in Florida. That state is so blessed to have so much to see and enjoy - Disney is hardly the only thing there.

We particularly like St Augustine but it's just one place of slews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter