Maybe the worst thing ever at WDW?

DIS Veteran
This is a highly cropped snapshot of what I have always considered to be one of the worst things they might have ever done at WDW. Always wondered if the guy that thought this up still works there. Sorry for the poor image but it started as a snapshot from a long distance. Can't find the pics that I took from inside the park. :confused3 :confused3

96289416.jpg

We've always wished that the person behind the madness of the cake castle was now presiding over Disney Land Antartica.

Believe it or not, the very first time I ever set eyes on the castle, that's what it looked like. :lmao: It was our first anniversary, and neither my DW nor I had ever been to WDW before.

Surprisingly, we still managed to fall in love with the place. :teeth:

640_cake.jpg

and how about an actual cake of the cake castle?

640_cakecake.jpg

I hate the memory of it now and would be up in arms if they did something similar again, but I have to admit that my family didn't think it was too atrocious at the time.. just tacky with the inflatable parts and a spot on match for the color of Pepto.

I think the Disneyland Paris version was worse!

001.jpg

When the castle was like this.. it was my first trip to Walt Disney World as well and i still fell in love with the place!

Beleive it or not I actually liked it at the time and thought it looked quite yummy. This , however, is coming from a candy freak!!! Now, though it just looks a bit tacky. I thought it was original to see something different for a change. I even bought the shirt with the candy castle. LOL:rotfl2:

That pink castle has to be one of the most controversial creative decisions in WDW history.

During the year that they had the cake castle, they did something a little different at the Disney Wedding Pavilion (over by the GF).

The chapel is set up so that the altar is beautifully framed by a window with Cinderella's castle, off in the distance, smack in the middle of the window.

Evidently, there were complaints about That Thing in the Magic Kingdom ruining the wedding pictures.

So the pavilion began providing a stained glass window of the original castle that could be inserted, in case you wanted THAT instead.

Personally, the pink castle didn't bother me, and my wife thought it was fun. But the thing had a hard time staying inflated, and I remember during our stay there were constantly cranes working on it, or parts that needed repair.

The cake castle needs to be in marketing textbooks on what not to do. Right next to this:

220px-NewCokeCan1985.jpg

Evidently, there were complaints about That Thing in the Magic Kingdom ruining the wedding pictures.

So the pavilion began providing a stained glass window of the original castle that could be inserted, in case you wanted THAT instead.

I read somewhere that over 200 weddings were flat out canceled due to the castle cake.. can't remember where though.

I have to say I was not real thrilled when my wife and I were there for our honeymoon and THIS was what greeted us on Main Street. DW didn't find it too offensive, but I thought it was just plain ugly. :sad2: Just my opinion.

We have a trip planned in December and can't wait to see the new lighting scheme. We have seen video and some great shots here and are really looking forward to giving the new camera a workout!:cool1:

The wand over Spaceship Earth isn't that far behind IMHO. OK, not that bad, but I am sooooooooooo happy to see the wand gone.

Fortunately I never saw the birthcake cake in person and wasn't paying enough attention to WDW at the time to really notice it.

Was scanning some more pics at work this evening and came across one of the "other thing" that I considered a bad decision, and that was the "tombstones" at the entrance to Epcot.

My daughter was still working at WDW when they put them in and she was told that the idea for these came from Michael E. himself.

I agree, I also don't like the tombstones although I think they're relatively mild compared to the wand and that awful birthday cake. (The 50th anniversary decorations were much less offensive!) This past trip, we always entered Epcot via the International Gateway (between the UK and France) so I only noticed the tombstones once, when circling around the front of Spaceship Earth.

Was scanning some more pics at work this evening and came across one of the "other thing" that I considered a bad decision, and that was the "tombstones" at the entrance to Epcot.

My daughter was still working at WDW when they put them in and she was told that the idea for these came from Michael E. himself.

Ugh. Obviously, it was an attempt to cash in on the "buy a brick" idea that they'd used at the Magic Kingdom. But those are fun and unobtrusive. Those leave-a-legacy things are just ug-LEE! :headache:

I guess I'm in the minority, I actually liked it. :confused3 Don't get me wrong though, I like the castle much better now that it's back to normal.

recakesilwaltmic96312x450.jpg

castlebirthdayback9-18-97.jpg

001.jpg

When the castle was like this.. it was my first trip to Walt Disney World as well and i still fell in love with the place!

Well, i didn't mind it.. since it was the first time i was there. My kids loved it.. cuz it was very colorful and kiddie.... they were 3 & 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter