• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maybe stupid question

Magicstar

Earning My Ears
Hey there :-)

maybe this is a stupid question, but .... hmmm.... I´ll ask it :confused:

I just read somewhere, that in Florida, you always have to be careful with alligators in Lakes.

The thing is, we would love to make some watersports at Bay Lake.

Has anyone ever hear something about alligators at Disney-Lakes??!! :eek::rolleyes1:eek:

Expect alligators in every body of fresh water in FL. That said, the areas used by Disney for water sports are usually heavily enough traveled that alligators steer clear. Only play were you are supposed to and you should be fine, but never forget the alligators may be around no matter what.

I think you'll be fine. Once, we did see an alligator in Bay Lake (or maybe it was technically the lagoon), over by the marshy area near the Contemporary. We were parasailing and spotted it. But we've rented those little watercraft several times without fear of the gators. They aren't going to bother you.

While waiting for a restaurant to open for lunch in Celebration we sat in front of the lake where we saw something moving closer to the front of the lake.We saw it was a gator and it just leisurely went and just sat in front of this railing next to the sidewalk which had several people standing there looking at it.It just sat there like expecting people to throw food at it which is what I'm assuming people are doing since it seems odd it would come over and just sit there.It's definitely not a good idea to be feeding gators.It wasn't a huge gator it looked bigger from far away but when I saw it up close I saw it had a small body,but as others said expect a gator on any lake,canal or river in Florida.

Haven't see a gator in the lake by the resorts but we did see one in the Magic Kingdom. It was by the walkway that goes from Liberty Square over to Splash Mountain (not the main walkway) and the gator was sitting on the edge of the waterway that goes to Tom Sawyer Island. The CM that was waiting for the proper people to come remove the gator said that they tag the gators, take them away but the seem to find their way back in.

Haven't see a gator in the lake by the resorts but we did see one in the Magic Kingdom. It was by the walkway that goes from Liberty Square over to Splash Mountain (not the main walkway) and the gator was sitting on the edge of the waterway that goes to Tom Sawyer Island. The CM that was waiting for the proper people to come remove the gator said that they tag the gators, take them away but the seem to find their way back in.

I saw a gator in that same spot a couple years ago. There were guys in white suits trying to remove him. I wonder if it was the same gator.

Oh and to the OP- I used to live in Florida and sometimes we would go tubing down a river and we frequently saw some gators. It's no big deal. They always stayed far out of our way. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. Unless of course you bring your dog...:scared1:

I have seen gators in Bay Lake at WDW, and various other spots in WDW as well.ITs Florida, they live there and they like water.My cousin hadn't screened in her backyard pool yet and found a gator in her pool a few times over the summer.Just be careful and roll with it

aaahhhhh! :eek:

I knew I shouldn't have kept reading this post.... I am so scared of alligators... I never thought much about them before but now I am going to be looking for alligators every time we are near water... no sea-racers for ds!

They don't come onto land, do they?

aaahhhhh! :eek:

I knew I shouldn't have kept reading this post.... I am so scared of alligators... I never thought much about them before but now I am going to be looking for alligators every time we are near water... no sea-racers for ds!

They don't come onto land, do they?

Yes, they come on land especially in the winter. Last winter, when it was freezing cold, I saw huge gators sunning themselves every day when I took my walk. I started taking my camera on walks with me. My son and I go on "gator hunts" every weekend but usually only see them regularly in the winter.

We have lived in FL for about 10 years. We haven't ever seen a gator unless we were somewhere where we were specifically looking for one. Ex. is the Everglades where you expect to see one or canoeing in specific areas. Again, we were looking and expecting to see them in these places. There are gators here and there, but usually very small ones that are not going to bother you. It's always big news when there is a gator somewhere it's not "supposed" to be (like the pool mentioned above:)) We have a flats boat and are out on the FL waters A LOT. The rare very large ones are removed and usually taken somewhere relativly unpopulated. I wouldn't worry about it. If there was even a moderate amount of danger, they wouldn't offer these activities in these body's of water.:thumbsup2

I think it's just the idea of alligators that freaks me out. And I am sure that they prefer to stay away from people.

Last time we did a wishes cruise the boat captain guaranteed that we'd see an alligator - and we did...

...during the Electric Water Parade ;)

EEEEKKKKKK:scared1::eek:
But what if I try parasailing and fall into the water maybe?????
Isn´t that dangerous?

I don't know where to find them, but there have been pics posted here of gators found in WDW- one in an Adventureland bathroom (it was while the park was closed, thank goodness), one in the water near Splash Mtn, several in Bay Lake, one in the lagoon around Tom Sawyer Island, and several in and around the various waterways at different Disney resorts.

Alligators are everywhere in FL. If there is water, expect to see a gator in or around it. As others have said, as long as you are cautious and don't try to get near tham, they will avoid you, too. Mating season can be a bit tricky, though- males get a little cranky and territorial.

We saw one in the water at AK. We were eating at Flame Tree Barbecue and had taken our food down next to the water on one of the decks (that look like they ought to be docks). Little guy was right there over the side in the water.

Now when you guys talk about seeing alligator, are you talking about little ones like in the tanks at Living with the Land. Or really big ones?

The one we saw in MK was fully grown and big. We keep looking to see if we can spot anymore when we are around the waters of Disney. One bus driver told us the have been seen going from one small area of water by the exit for the Epcot area resorts. There is a small area of water on each side of the overpass and they have been spotted walking from one area of water to the other. You just never know where they can be.

DSIL and family stayed at CBR last september during our grand gathering, and they saw 2 small gators on the grounds several times. Told the CMs about it, and they said that they knew, but had a difficult time catching them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter