Maybe Robin Williams passing...

teambeaman

Mouseketeer
could teach us all to be a little kinder to each other since you never know what someone else is going through. I know that I'm relatively new to the boards, but it seems as though there is always a lot of negativity either toward the OP or to people with differing views. I also know that I am guilty of this as well and I'm a big enough girl to admit it. It is possible that people are participating on the Disboards because they are seeking human interaction in addition to having a love of all things Disney. Maybe we, as a community, could try to be a little more positive in our interactions? You never know, it could be just one kind word from one of us that changes someone's life for the better. Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

could teach us all to be a little kinder to each other since you never know what someone else is going through. I know that I'm relatively new to the boards, but it seems as though there is always a lot of negativity either toward the OP or to people with differing views. I also know that I am guilty of this as well and I'm a big enough girl to admit it. It is possible that people are participating on the Disboards because they are seeking human interaction in addition to having a love of all things Disney. Maybe we, as a community, could try to be a little more positive in our interactions? You never know, it could be just one kind word from one of us that changes someone's life for the better. Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Certainly worthy of consideration in every aspect of our lives. I belong to a professional organization that meets every 2 months, and every meeting the last three years has started with a short look back at the life of someone who passed away since our last meeting. The comment has been made to say good bye to everyone when you leave, because this literally may the last time you ever see them.

I had a reminder about this very topic just this week.

My very senior dog (GSD) woke up and couldn't hold herself up on her feet for more than a moment or two. As soon as they opened, I called the vet and rushed her in. I was beside myself with worry that today would be "the day." The vet determined it was just advanced arthritis and gave her medicine to make her more comfortable. He went to get her meds and was gone a long time and my dog was becoming more and more uncomfortable. He rushed back in and finally gave me her pills and I was ready to get her home to give them to her. There was a long line to check out - longer than I've ever seen there. Each person goes into a hallway with a half door one at a time (so that you can pay the bill without worrying about holding onto your pet). There were 4 in front of me - 3 people with dogs and a man, probably in his 70s, without a pet. He was right in front of me and I was really hoping that he would let me go ahead since my dog was having a hard time standing. She was visibly struggling. I tried to make eye contact but he wouldn't look at me. I was getting frustrated with the wait.

When his turn came, he took it. And then I realized, when he placed a small collar on the counter, that he had come in with a dog, and was leaving without his pet forever. I actually gasped. He wouldn't make eye contact with me because he was barely holding it together. He didn't notice my dog struggling because he had just lost his best friend And here I was, so consumed with myself and my problems that I didn't even see the obvious - this man was in extreme grief. I left in tears. I heard someone say that he had tried everything to save his dog and that he had cried so hard... I was leaving with my dog. He would never see his again.

And when the vet kept me waiting? Probably when he was helping this gentleman's dog cross over to The Rainbow Bridge. And I was impatient. Wow.

I vowed to stop making assumptions about people. The person driving too fast may have just been told that their loved one was in an accident. The rude woman in the checkout line may have a sick child at home and she's just in a hurry to get back to them. Point is... we don't know. And the compassionate thing to do is to not assume what you don't know to be true.

I try very hard to live my life this way. Not all struggles are visible and there are very often no visible signs that someone is suffering. It isn't always easy but it does make for a better life for me.

My very senior dog (GSD) woke up and couldn't hold herself up on her feet for more than a moment or two. As soon as they opened, I called the vet and rushed her in. I was beside myself with worry that today would be "the day." The vet determined it was just advanced arthritis and gave her medicine to make her more comfortable. He went to get her meds and was gone a long time and my dog was becoming more and more uncomfortable. He rushed back in and finally gave me her pills and I was ready to get her home to give them to her. There was a long line to check out - longer than I've ever seen there. Each person goes into a hallway with a half door one at a time (so that you can pay the bill without worrying about holding onto your pet). There were 4 in front of me - 3 people with dogs and a man, probably in his 70s, without a pet. He was right in front of me and I was really hoping that he would let me go ahead since my dog was having a hard time standing. She was visibly struggling. I tried to make eye contact but he wouldn't look at me. I was getting frustrated with the wait.

When his turn came, he took it. And then I realized, when he placed a small collar on the counter, that he had come in with a dog, and was leaving without his pet forever. I actually gasped. He wouldn't make eye contact with me because he was barely holding it together. He didn't notice my dog struggling because he had just lost his best friend And here I was, so consumed with myself and my problems that I didn't even see the obvious - this man was in extreme grief. I left in tears. I heard someone say that he had tried everything to save his dog and that he had cried so hard... I was leaving with my dog. He would never see his again.

And when the vet kept me waiting? Probably when he was helping this gentleman's dog cross over to The Rainbow Bridge. And I was impatient. Wow.

I vowed to stop making assumptions about people. The person driving too fast may have just been told that their loved one was in an accident. The rude woman in the checkout line may have a sick child at home and she's just in a hurry to get back to them. Point is... we don't know. And the compassionate thing to do is to not assume what you don't know to be true.

A beautiful, thought provoking post. I hope your dog is feeling better. :)

I think we all need to reign it in a bit. Believe me when I tell you that I loved Robin Williams, the entertainer, but, as a regular person he was anything but a saint. I felt really bad when I heard about his passing and especially how he died. I was willing to just let myself justify his method as mental illness and desperation. Which it probably was, however, that isn't really a reason to hurt those close to you so bad.

We loved the entertainer. There were a group of people, however, that loved him as a Father, Husband and Friend. They lost something huge and so unnecessarily. I'm sure that in his mind he felt that it would be better for everyone if he was gone. I don't pretend to know what goes through someones mind when they decide to end it all. I do know that many more people then ourselves were hurt much more then we were by his actions.

I have seen a hundred "tributes" to him since he died. All very nice and well intentioned, but, all the quotes contributed to him were scripted from movies that he was in with the exception of one. That was..."Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." If anything threw him over the edge other than his ongoing substance abuse and heart problems, it was probably the recent diagnosis of Parkinson's. He might have seen that as a permanent problem and he might have been correct.

No, my friends... the world lost a great entertainer, but, not exactly a roll model that we should want to copy in any form other then his talent. I hope he rests in peace, and I hope that for anyone that is troubled and is just tired, but, when I think of the number of people that fight to live with all their soul and energy, the act of a person ending his own life, leaving his loved ones lost, hurt and confused is not the act of a man worthy of all this worship.

Oh how sad and humbling. Beautiful lesson learned. Thanks for reminding us.

I have been in that man's place, poor man probably felt like he was having an out of body/surreal experience with time just stopping. Prayers to you & your dog. I have a Sr. that is going to be 15 we are dealing with other issues with her.

I am a firm believer in everyone has something they are struggling with. My eyes were opened last year. I now assume someone is dealing with something heavy and tht is why thy are being unpleasnt. Vs. the fact that they are just annoying.

I am living my life the Let It Go way now.

Wow, Barb...:sad1:

I've been that man several times. It's more painful than I could ever put in words.

I've always said NEVER envy anyone because you never know what they're going through.

Thanks, OP, I pray daily to become more empathetic and hope one day the internet will stop giving cowards the anonymity to say and do hateful things.

Wow, Barb...:sad1: Thanks, OP, I pray daily to become more empathetic and hope one day the internet will stop giving cowards the anonymity to say and do hateful things.

This. I often wonder if people would say what they say here to someone's face? It just makes me sad that when someone asks or answers a question, someone takes some trivial detail and uses it as an opportunity to attack. Most of the people here seem really nice, but for the ones that aren't, there's just no need. All the smarminess may make for an entertaining thread, but someone's feelings may me genuinely hurt from it. We would never tolerate this type of behavior from our kids, so why do we do it ourselves? Thank you to everyone that has shared their point of view so far...it is much appreciated, and yes, I also hope that more people join in on this thread and that it has a positive impact on our interactions.

I try very hard to live my life this way. Not all struggles are visible and there are very often no visible signs that someone is suffering. It isn't always easy but it does make for a better life for me.

I try to as well, but this is a great reminder as it really does take intentionality to be aware of how we're treating others.

I vividly remember breaking a heel and having to stop in at Payless for a new pair of shoes on the way to my DDad's funeral. I was extremely distracted and the cashier snarled at me. I often wondered if she would have been kinder if she knew why I needed the shoes. It was a very formative experience.

Interesting though, and I'm as guilty as anyone, that we feel the liberty to "take attitudes" with people on the internet that we wouldn't dream of IRL. I admit I see it as sort of "a game" here on the DIS to push boundaries of patience and kindness when in a vigorous debate. Going away to think about this now...:scratchin

I had a reminder about this very topic just this week. My very senior dog (GSD) woke up and couldn't hold herself up on her feet for more than a moment or two. As soon as they opened, I called the vet and rushed her in. I was beside myself with worry that today would be "the day." The vet determined it was just advanced arthritis and gave her medicine to make her more comfortable. He went to get her meds and was gone a long time and my dog was becoming more and more uncomfortable. He rushed back in and finally gave me her pills and I was ready to get her home to give them to her. There was a long line to check out - longer than I've ever seen there. Each person goes into a hallway with a half door one at a time (so that you can pay the bill without worrying about holding onto your pet). There were 4 in front of me - 3 people with dogs and a man, probably in his 70s, without a pet. He was right in front of me and I was really hoping that he would let me go ahead since my dog was having a hard time standing. She was visibly struggling. I tried to make eye contact but he wouldn't look at me. I was getting frustrated with the wait. When his turn came, he took it. And then I realized, when he placed a small collar on the counter, that he had come in with a dog, and was leaving without his pet forever. I actually gasped. He wouldn't make eye contact with me because he was barely holding it together. He didn't notice my dog struggling because he had just lost his best friend And here I was, so consumed with myself and my problems that I didn't even see the obvious - this man was in extreme grief. I left in tears. I heard someone say that he had tried everything to save his dog and that he had cried so hard... I was leaving with my dog. He would never see his again. And when the vet kept me waiting? Probably when he was helping this gentleman's dog cross over to The Rainbow Bridge. And I was impatient. Wow. I vowed to stop making assumptions about people. The person driving too fast may have just been told that their loved one was in an accident. The rude woman in the checkout line may have a sick child at home and she's just in a hurry to get back to them. Point is... we don't know. And the compassionate thing to do is to not assume what you don't know to be true.

Prayers for your best friend! We just went through something similar with ours a few months ago, but unfortunately my dog's inability to stand was caused by multiple tumors in his back and we had to let him make his journey to the Rainbow Bridge. Thank you for using this opportunity as a way to show more empathy for others.

Prayers for your best friend! We just went through something similar with ours a few months ago, but unfortunately my dog's inability to stand was caused by multiple tumors in his back and we had to let him make his journey to the Rainbow Bridge. Thank you for using this opportunity as a way to show more empathy for others.

The vet didn't spend much time with her and I do believe that it's more than arthritis. She had massive tumors (one was 12 lbs!) removed from her abdomen a few months ago. The vet said that she will get more if she lives long enough (she would likely die of old age first, in other words). But this inability to walk happened very suddenly. The pain pills help but it is just a matter of time.

Thanks everyone for your kind word and prayers. :) she really is my best friend.

:sad1:

I don't know what it is about the internet that people love to be nasty. Look at twitter and Robin Williams daughter people were soo nasty to her.
I wish it was as simple as this and I do believe there really is a small % of the people who behave like this.

Today it was my turn to leave the vet's office without my dog. I was fortunate that no one was there (besides the vet and the lady to take our payment).

The compassion the vet showed for my dog and my family was incredible. He even asked me to step by in so he could give me a hug. He cried with us.

Good people make terrible times a bit more bearable.

The original intent of this thread was that we should maybe show more compassion for each other. I'm very glad I have a vet that showed so much love for my family (especially the four-legged member).

Today it was my turn to leave the vet's office without my dog. I was fortunate that no one was there (besides the vet and the lady to take our payment). The compassion the vet showed for my dog and my family was incredible. He even asked me to step by in so he could give me a hug. He cried with us. Good people make terrible times a bit more bearable. The original intent of this thread was that we should maybe show more compassion for each other. I'm very glad I have a vet that showed so much love for my family (especially the four-legged member).

I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers and hugs to you and yours.

Very sorry for your loss, Barb.

And yes, we do need a little more kindness, a little more patience, and a little less complaining in this world.

I think what it's important for people to remember on a message board is that it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

There are many times that I see posts that I disagree with - while I am a snarky, sarcastic individual, I am in no way jaded, especially when it comes to Disney - but I try hard not to make my posts about the person whose post I'm disagreeing with. They're just opinions on the internet!

My posts shouldn't be making anyone feel bad for thinking about something or doing something differently than I do. If my posts make people feel that way, then I'm doing something wrong. It's often not worth the cost of being "right".

I think what it's important for people to remember on a message board is that it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. There are many times that I see posts that I disagree with - while I am a snarky, sarcastic individual, I am in no way jaded, especially when it comes to Disney - but I try hard not to make my posts about the person whose post I'm disagreeing with. They're just opinions on the internet! My posts shouldn't be making anyone feel bad for thinking about something or doing something differently than I do. If my posts make people feel that way, then I'm doing something wrong. It's often not worth the cost of being "right".

Amen to all these comments - I am new to DisBoards & was amazed at the snarky statements & especially going off topic and finding fault with people. We all need to be more compassionate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter