May the FOOD Be With You...a SWW Dining Report! NEW! 7/5

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by onelilspark, May 31, 2011.

1. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

I'm not new to this side of the boards...it's my favorite hang out popcorn::

Here's our adventurous dining crew from a galaxy not that far away

First, there's me:
    [​IMG]
    My dining horizons have expanded greatly over the years, but I'm still not a huge fan of tomatoes, raw onions, & peppers. I also don't have a high tolerance for spicy foods. I'll try almost anything once.

Next up we have Geoff, my fiancé:
    [​IMG]
    He loves to try new foods, as long as they don't have tomatoes larger than what you find in salsa. Or eggplant. Orrrr stinky cheeses (yum!)

Then we have my Mom:
    [​IMG]
    She doesn't like spicy foods either. Or raw onions.

And finally, but not least, is my Dad:
    [​IMG]
    He doesn't like really strong cheeses, but loves cheese in general. If I want to try something, he's always game to split it with me :thumbsup2

Now that we have our crew, let's get rolling!

Where we ate:
    Sassagoula Floatworks - Dinner
    Sassagoula Floatworks - Breakfast
    Mama Melrose - Lunch
    Raglan Road - Dinner
    Sunshine Seasons - Breakfast
    Tangierine Cafe - Lunch
    Karamel Kuche - Snack
    Cava Del Tequila - Snack
    Flying Fish - Dinner
    Jellyrolls - Nighttime fun
    Sassagoula Floatworks - Breakfast
    Outback Steakhouse (airport) - Lunch

**Restaurants will be linked to chapter as posted!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MickeyNicki

MickeyNicki It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out a

I'm sooooo in for this! Didnt you love POFQ? Wasnt it hot enough to melt the pavement???

4. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

Subscribing Kelly....looking forward to your reviews! :)

Great title, by the way!

5. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

You guys were fast!!

Loved the new rooms at FQ. Also is my favorite resort, so I might be biased :goodvibes

And I was dying in the heat. My parents (who live in FL) told Geoff & I we were wusses.

Thanks Glen! I think it's the first time I've actually had a decent title :rotfl:

6. GoofySon'sMom

GoofySon'sMom DIS Veteran

I'm in! Hopefully your reviews won't make me make even more changes to my own trip in August! :laughing:

7. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

First up! Dinner at French Quarter!

[​IMG]

Our plane landed at about 730...more or less on time. We took off early, but had to fly around storms, so I was just excited we didn't have a real delay! Neither of us were that hungry, so we decided to just head down to Magical Express and catch the bus over to FQ.

After checking in (you can read the full story when I start my Trip Report...oooo, a cliff hanger...of sorts anyway...) we headed over to Sassagoula Floatworks to grab a bite to eat.

By this time we were starving :laughing:

I settled on the Pot Roast with choice of 2 sides:
    [​IMG]
    I picked mashed potatoes & corn. I asked them to go light on the gravy. I was actually surprised at how much I liked this meal. I wasn't expecting much from it, so maybe that had something to do with it. But the corn had a nice flavor to it and wasn't chewy/rubbery like some fast food corn can be. The mashed potatoes were creamy and delicious (with just the right amount of gravy!) And the meat was tender and flavorful. My only complaint is that there was only one itty bitty carrot hiding in the meat, it would have been great to have more carrots. Oh, and I thought the corn bread was a little dry, but by the time I got to it, I was full! Over all, big thumbs up!

Geoff had the Fried Chicken with choice of 2 sides:
    [​IMG]
    He picked the collard greens & dirty rice. He thought the collard greens were extremely flavorful, but a little on the spicy side. The dirty rice he loved, even though half of it wound up on the tray :sad2: And the chicken he thought was moist and flavorful. There was a ton of chicken though, we could have easily split this meal!!

After he was done:
    [​IMG]

After dinner we put our stuff in our room and joined my parents for a drink in the lounge:
    [​IMG]

I didn't take any pictures of drinks here, but one thing to note is that Tampa & Boston were playing the final game of their Playoff Series (Hockey) and they couldn't switch the channel because they weren't playing on ESPN. My Mom was a little annoyed, but we used our phones to stay updated on the game...yay technology! The music was nice, but a little on the loud side. Not too much else to say about it.

All in all, Sassagoula & Scat Cats get :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 from us!

8. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for your actions regarding my tasty photographs of food :rotfl:

(welcome!)

9. GoofySon'sMom

GoofySon'sMom DIS Veteran

:rotfl: Nicki's trip caused me to make two changes ... both additions so a bit of juggling! My DH & DS say that I am not allowed to change anything else. C'mon it is still 87 days til check-in! They can't expect me to leave it alone yet! :rolleyes1 :upsidedow

10. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I'm in! Looking forward to your reviews. We stayed at PO multiple times growing up and we love the resort

by-the-way, I find that totally ridiculous that they refused to put the game b/c it wasn't on ESPN

Walt Disney World: making dreams come true! .... as long as said dreams fit in under our corporate umbrella

11. mamaboogie

mamaboogie DIS Veteran

Great title!:thumbsup2

Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews :)

12. DancinDaisyDuck

DancinDaisyDuck Nothing left for me to do but dance

I'm in too! I am looking forward to reading your reviews and your trip report! Always like it when I run into another Up-state/Western NY DISer on the boards!

13. dekkerdisneydreamer

dekkerdisneydreamer Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

I'm here! Now back to reading!

14. butiflfeet

butiflfeet DIS Veteran

Great start! I can't wait for more!

15. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

My final change to our dining plans was made a week before we left...I finally was able to snag a later ADR at Raglan Road! I haven't touched my September plans though...yet...

:rotfl: Too true. Welcome! :wave:

Thanks! Welcome along!

Hello neighbor! :wave2:

Thanks for joining me again!!

Thanks!!

16. MickeyNicki

MickeyNicki It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out a

Hey..thats TODD'S fault babe not mine :lmao: I had no control remember :rotfl:

17. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

Our mission for the day was to get over to Hollywood Studios pre-rope drop for Star Wars Weekends. We met my parents at the food court at 730. At 730, it was pretty quiet (keeping in mind that we went on a Holiday Weekend and from what I could tell, all the values & mods were booked) but by the time we left at 8, the crowd had really picked up. Not so much that there weren't seats, but it was noticeably busier.

Probably the best reason to stay at POFQ and eat at the Food Court is one thing: the beignets!
    [​IMG]

My Mom and I are both fans, so we split them. I love that they're made fresh, but I was a little disappointed that they served the serving of 6 in a Styrofoam container...they were so hot it melted the container a bit, and that grosses me out for some reason. Not that I didn't enjoy them of course :goodvibes

My Dad just had a bagel with cream cheese (they ahve both plain & cinnamon raisin) and some grapes. You can toast them yourselves at the toasters located next to the drink stations...one started smoking while we were eating (so after my Dad toasted his!) so that was entertaining.

Geoff was bad, while I was waiting for my beignets to fry, he sat down with his breakfast and started eating...with no picture! :sad2: Honestly.

Anyway, he had a Mickey Waffle with fruit. ...he's learning, he did have a Mickey Waffle! :rotfl: The nice thing is that instead of the syrupy frozen fruit that you see for a lot of waffle toppings, this had fresh cut strawberries. They looked really good!

So breakfast was good, the highlights being the beignets (obviously) and the fresh fruit on top of the waffle!

18. mamaboogie

mamaboogie DIS Veteran

That photo of the beignets is amazing! I feel I can almost smell the fresh baked goodness!

All your breakfast choices sound delicious - I have never stayed at POFQ but judging by this, perhaps I should consider it!:)

19. ilovepete

ilovepete DIS Veteran

I'm in! :)

20. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

Better late than never .................. I'm in popcorn::

21. dekkerdisneydreamer

dekkerdisneydreamer Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

What better way to start a day with a beignet! I will have to try that some time considering I've never had one!:lmao:

Ah Geoff, you would think after all the trips he's been on with you (even during F&W!!!) he'd know to not start eating until the obligatory picture had been taken.:eek: