May or September?

kanga5roos

Earning My Ears
I know there are many variables, but opinions (and reasoning, if possible?) please on when would it be better to take my family next year, beginning of May or beginning of September?

We've always gone in November/December or February so I'm not as well versed with the room rates, typical offers (Free Dining isn't a deciding factor), the weather, and crowds levels for these 2 time periods. From everything I've read, they appear to be very similar. Having trouble deciding.

It will be me, DH, 2 adult DD's, 1 adult DS-inlaw and my granddaughter who is currently 14 months old, so she'll be either 26 months old or 30 months old, depending on when we go, and perhaps 1 adult DS. So possibly 6 adults and 1 toddler.

Since I'll need several rooms (mods or deluxe, or perhaps a 2 br villa -- don't know haven't gotten that far, yet) I'd love to go when the rates are the best, the deals are good, etc. --- and of course, the crowds are down.

Anyone have a preference, and/or insight, into which time frame would be better to take my little GrandDD and the rest of the family? Beginning of May or beginning of September? or even...the last week in August? we don't have anyone in school so we can be somewhat flexible.

Thank you!

We've been in both May and September, so I personally would choose May, hands down. For me the deciding factor is the weather, and the Flower and Garden Festival.

September has lower crowds and lower room rates, but it is so unbearably hot in my opinion. Plus it's hurricane season. You will get thunderstorms that move in pretty much everyday. They typically don't last long, but can be severe.

May can get pretty warm, but without the make you feel like you're melting humidity you can experience in September. Kids are still in school, so crowds are still very doable. We usually have no problem getting the dining reservations and fastpass selections we want. And the Flower and Garden Festival is such a lovely bonus as well.

Disney usually does release discounts on room rates for May as well. The folks here on the disboards do an awesome job of helping to keep everyone up to date and informed on "all things Disney".

We've been in both May and September, so I personally would choose May, hands down. For me the deciding factor is the weather, and the Flower and Garden Festival.

September has lower crowds and lower room rates, but it is so unbearably hot in my opinion. Plus it's hurricane season. You will get thunderstorms that move in pretty much everyday. They typically don't last long, but can be severe.

May can get pretty warm, but without the make you feel like you're melting humidity you can experience in September. Kids are still in school, so crowds are still very doable. We usually have no problem getting the dining reservations and fastpass selections we want. And the Flower and Garden Festival is such a lovely bonus as well.

Disney usually does release discounts on room rates for May as well. The folks here on the disboards do an awesome job of helping to keep everyone up to date and informed on "all things Disney".

I agree with pretty much all of this. May has nicer weather, and the Flower and Garden Festival is SO lovely! September does have Food & Wine though, if that's a deciding factor.

September is a lot less crowded. We went Sept 16-very low crowds-loved it. I also like that it still so warm at night, great for swimming day or night. We have done both months in the same yr many times. It will be hotter though. We are going Sat, May 6, for a week and the temps will be up to low 90's, but less rain than a Sept trip for those temps. Sept will also have more availability and less expensive, F&W, and MNSSHP.

I think it is a trade off-lower costs and crowds vs little better weather.

Since you are flexible early May typically be cooler and the F&G show is great...the later you can go in sept the better --sooo hot and can be rainy.

I know there are many variables, but opinions (and reasoning, if possible?) please on when would it be better to take my family next year, beginning of May or beginning of September?

We've always gone in November/December or February so I'm not as well versed with the room rates, typical offers (Free Dining isn't a deciding factor), the weather, and crowds levels for these 2 time periods. From everything I've read, they appear to be very similar. Having trouble deciding.

It will be me, DH, 2 adult DD's, 1 adult DS-inlaw and my granddaughter who is currently 14 months old, so she'll be either 26 months old or 30 months old, depending on when we go, and perhaps 1 adult DS. So possibly 6 adults and 1 toddler.

Since I'll need several rooms (mods or deluxe, or perhaps a 2 br villa -- don't know haven't gotten that far, yet) I'd love to go when the rates are the best, the deals are good, etc. --- and of course, the crowds are down.

Anyone have a preference, and/or insight, into which time frame would be better to take my little GrandDD and the rest of the family? Beginning of May or beginning of September? or even...the last week in August? we don't have anyone in school so we can be somewhat flexible.

Thank you!
Definitely May. September is very hot and humid. The weather is great in May and crowds are very good too!

My mom and I have been going in September now since 2012 and we love going that time of year. The crowds are much more manageable if crowds bother you. We have been during just about every season except for november/december and prefer september. January is nice but park hours are a lot more limited that time of year. Plus september offers MNSSHP and Epcot food and wine festival which are both amazing and fun!

I have been in both months and we were much more comfortable in May. September was so hot and humid. This was late September too.

We just went last September. First time going then. The crowd levels were seriously amazing!! BUT it was so hot. For me it was rather miserable. It just seemed like we were rushing from attraction to attraction to get out of the heat and couldn't really enjoy being able to walk around with low crowds because you were so hot from the sun. Some might not think its that bad. But your entire body sweating non stop isn't fun ha. I am bummed as we like to go when crowds are lower and refuse to go during break times. My husband and 7 year old daughter didn't complain about it. But my 4 year old son was pretty miserable as I ...

May! Both can be hot. However, September is hurricane season and for that reason alone I would choose May. While it certainly can storm in May, the weather is more stable.

May is less rainy, less hot and less humid. Much more pleasant. Sept is extremely hot and humid. Nice if you will use the pool in the day, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter