May or September?

tweetie

Mouseketeer
Which is better for crowds and weather, the first week in May or the week after Labor Day in September?

If you go in May, you get to enjoy the Flower Show at Epcot, which increases the crowds but is well worth it.

Only 88 days until we are HOME for the Flower Show / Star Wars

Weather wise, May is "safer" than September. At a minimum, you'll have hot, humid days in September with the chance of a tropical storm affecting your stay. May is still pretty hot/humid, but not quite as bad.

Crowd-wise, September is better as the summer vacation folks have all left and children are back in school. However, the first week of May isn't that bad either since most schools are still in session.

As the PP noted, in early May the Epcot Flower and Garden show will be going on. It adds to the crowds at Epcot's World Showcase, but doesn't have much impact on Future World or the other parks.

September's weather is WAAAAY too hot and humid, and it's also hurricane season. It's very hot in early May, but generally not as humid, which makes it bearable. It will be more crowded than September, but still in the moderate to moderate+ range.

Having been in both months, I MUCH prefer May. We've been there in May the past few years (and will be back this May). Crowds have never been an issue, even at Epcot (with the exception of Cinco de Mayo at the Mexican Pavillion). Flower and Garden is a real treat, especially now with the specialty food/beverage stations.
Even though it rained almost every day of our trip last year, the weather is generally a LOT more pleasant in May. Much less humid, and less thunderstorms.

I didn't realize that I planned my Epcot day on Cinco de Mayo. What do they normally do for this?

Which is better for crowds and weather, the first week in May or the week after Labor Day in September?

Without a doubt - May. The weather is about 100% better - usually sunny, warm, and not too humid. The crowds are low, too. And best of all, it will be flower and Garden show with food booths. :goodvibes

September may have lower crowds, but the rain, heat and humidity would make it less enjoyable.

We have been both May and September...the weather in May is much less humid....but the crowds are bigger...

We usually go the last week of Septemberfor food and wine or in late May for Star Wars Weekend (there are still a lot of flower and garden remnants up at Epcot!)...I think both are very manageable and you should pick the one that works best with your schedule and the things you want to experience and the travel arrangements you can get..

Which one would be better if you do not want to have a touring plan but just whenever you get up you go to the park (crowd level)....not much difference in the weather? We plan on relaxing more this trip and less park time, and really would like to sleep in some days.

Which one would be better if you do not want to have a touring plan but just whenever you get up you go to the park (crowd level)....hot much difference in the weather. We plan on relaxing more this trip and less park time, and really would like to sleep in some days.

September. The week after Labor Day is one of the slowest weeks of the year.

Which one would be better if you do not want to have a touring plan but just whenever you get up you go to the park (crowd level)....not much difference in the weather? We plan on relaxing more this trip and less park time, and really would like to sleep in some days.

September crowds are much lower....

our "usual" time to go was always late April/first week of May, we love it, the temps can get high but the humidity is pretty low so it's not so oppressive. The first week of May crowds are not too bad at all, most rides have 20 minute waits except the headliners obviously, we fastpassed those. Wehad a few instances of riding BTMRR 2x in a row with no fp and no waits, the tea cups we rode 3x in a row, splash could be a 25 minute wait without fp....

We went in September 2013 and while we had a great time, it was verrrry humid compared to May. We found ourselves not doing much during the day but waiting til the sun went down to do most of our park touring so we weren't melting.

edited to add: September crowds are reportedly lower, on our trip in Sept 2013, we went the 18-25th and it was not low crowds IMO, not sure if free dining effected it or what but it was definitely more crowded than I thought it was going to be, seemed a little busier than our May trips. The week after Labor day though is supposed to be very low crowds though since all the kids are just back to school and etc.

We've been several times in May and September, and weather wise, I'd go with May. It's very humid in September and there is a greater chance for rain. I think it's rained pretty much every afternoon/evening on our September trips. Not for a long time, but enough to clear out the parks for a little while!

Crowd-wise it would depend on when in May you go. The first week of May has low crowds, but as the month goes on and Star Wars weekends and Memorial Day Weekend hit, the crowds increase.

Through mid-May, you would be able to go to the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. In September, MNSSHP usually begins by the 2nd week, so you would get to see MK decorated for Halloween.

We've been in May (for Memorial Day and Star Wars weekend) and in Sept for Labor Day. Oddly enough, weather was nicer for us in Sept. Yes it was humid and hot but it was hot in May too and it rained a lot more in May for us. It was during Tropical Storm Beryl. You just never know about the weather. You can take record averages, etc to go off of but we were happy we took a chance on Disney at the end of summer. Our Sept trip was so nice because of low crowds and we did take afternoon breaks so that helped to deal with the heat.
Edited to add: I would go again either of those months. The flower and garden festival is very beautiful at Epcot in May. Then there are the fall decorations and pumpkins in MK that they put up 1st week of Sept. Very nice as well. Can't go wrong with either month!

I would go in September for low crowds, low room rates, Mickey's Not So Scary party starts mid-month, and if you're at very end of the month, for Food & Wine festival at Epcot.
Go in May if you want to see Flower and Garden festival at Epcot, or the Star Wars Weekends at the Studios. Room rates are not bad in May either. Crowds are moderate but nothing near the summer crowds.

I still can't decide, here is what I came up with:
May
Weather is better
Flower and Garden Festival
More expensive than September
A little longer park hours
Moderate crowds - when it says mod crowds what are the wait times and what is the difference between the 1st wk in May and the first full wk in Sept???

September
Less crowded
More humid
More chances of rain
More discounts, with possible free dining
Fall decorations at MK

Have I missed anything?

Still unsure :confused3 At least I have a little more time to think about it. I did look at crowd levels and it has that week of September 1's and 2's and May are 5's. How accurate is that for anyone that has gone in May?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter