May Med Magic - May 15 2010 - Meet thread - Part 2

Well thanks to the ash cloud we got an extra 400 miles and an extra hour on the plane. Still had time to take in some of the British Museum and Stonehenge. Now time to hit the hay up here in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Blog of our trip if interested:

http://squirt-schwarzfam.blogspot.com/2010/05/to-blog-or-not-to-blog-that-is-question.html

Thanks for the well wishes. Keep them coming for the Thursday EasyJet flight to Barcelona.

AlohaJoe23

Glad you made it safe! Great update on the blog :)

Glad you made it alright! :) Late is definitely better than never!

OK, that's scary! :eek: Do you fly out tomorrow?

Sayhello

We fly out on Tuesday :banana: I'm not getting anything done today at work.

What do you think about this one? We liked it and printed it for our door. It's looks really nice.

4963360.jpg

Love the picture

I am curious about what people are doing at each port e.g. private, DCL, on your own, etc? If you are interested, please post your port excursion itinerary.

I promise I am truly interested and this is not only a shameless attempt to get closer to my final forum post guess (99) :)

Malta - Valletta and Mdina – A Tale of Two Cities tour (DCL)
Tunis - Medina and Carthage tour (DCL)
Naples - Private tour - Pompeii, Sorrento, & Positiano (With DopeyFan 1966)
Rome - Private Tour - Discover Rome along side a True Roman tour (with rguinness)
La Spezia - Private Tour - Florence & Pisa tour (with amtrak23)
Ajaccio - Les Calanches (DCL)
Villefranche - Private tour - Eze, Monaco, Monte-Carlo, Nice (With DopeyFan 1966)

Our Air France flight finally took off last night about an hour and a half late, which would make us miss our connection to BCN. I looked for today and the flight is already delayed to 9:15, about a 4 hour delay. I am not worried about getting to BCN. It looks like there are quite a few flights to BCN from CDG or Orly. It's the luggage I am worried about and also getting a seat next to my son if we are bumped to another flight. He has some food allergies that could be life threatening and needs me there. Which day are you flying in?

Crossing my fingers that your luggage gets there!! That is also my biggest concern when we fly to Barcelona.

Malta: DCL half day sightseeing-mild excursion (DH has a bad foot:sad2:)
Tunisia: DCL Medina & Carthage
Naples: DCL Mt Vesuvius hike (DH will wait for me @jeep)Pompeii, wine tasting
Civitavecchi: private tour of Rome highlights with all around Italy
La Spezia: private tour Uffizi gallery and Acedemia museum with guide, all around itay
Ajaccio: not sure yet
Villefranche: wanted to do the "Nice and Eze with wine and cheese", but the only time it was offered was 2pm, to 6pm, that cuts in to late with evening plans. So I think we're doing a DCL morining sightseeing tour.

We are leaving Friday night at 8pm from Boston, arriving in Munich (which was closed yesterday:confused3) at 930am Saturday then arriving in Barcelona 120pm. Here's hoping for no cancelations or delays. picksiedustpicksiedustpicksiedust:cheer2:

We are on the same Tunisia tour! :) We are also flying out from BOS, but Tuesday night.

Same travels :)

Hi everyone,
Safe travels to everyone! Can't wait to meet you.
BTW, are most of you bringing credit cards and travelers checks? Our AAA doesn't sell them anymore and only has "tip packs" of Euros. They told me I could use my ATM card anywhere that has a VISA logo, but are there alot of ATM's where we are going?
Can't wait to leave on Thursday!
Karen

I have 1 1/2 days of work left then I am out of HERE! My nurses are being driven crazy with the "how many hours left" comments. Just about have everything pulled out to pack and now its a matter of checking the weights. We bought a cheep but effective luggage scale that we are bringing with us for the return flight so if anyone wants to borrow it, Im sure its fine. Bags seem to bloat on the return flights!
Think I have the FE gifts figured out, which was my last step.

We would like to join. Are there anyone staying at Novotel Barcelona City? We are actually leaving Tuesdays for Barcelona :cool1:

I am starting to freak out a little bit with the packing. Not to mention I don't have all the excursion stuff signed up. I guess worse case is to go with DCL for excursions....

We are done with making FE, much to my surprise! I just have to remember to print out the FE list before Tuesday so I have the list with me.

Hello All... Its official I have mentally checked out from work:rolleyes1
Kevin and I are going to try and meet up with everyone at the fountain...See you all soon.

Safe Travels

~Jamie

Hi, I have added you to the list.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hi everyone,
Safe travels to everyone! Can't wait to meet you.
BTW, are most of you bringing credit cards and travelers checks? Our AAA doesn't sell them anymore and only has "tip packs" of Euros. They told me I could use my ATM card anywhere that has a VISA logo, but are there alot of ATM's where we are going?
Can't wait to leave on Thursday!
Karen

You will get a better rate at the ATM then AAA. The rate of the tip packs are based on when the AAA office purchased the euros.

Ive just been reading the 5th May thread to see what they are up to !

There is talk of some people being asked for a $400 fuel surcharge at Barcelona !! Does anyone here know what it is about ?

Im going to look through my documents , perhaps ive paid it allready ?

We received $159 credit to our on-board account for the fuel charge (each room).

Our Air France flight finally took off last night about an hour and a half late, which would make us miss our connection to BCN. I looked for today and the flight is already delayed to 9:15, about a 4 hour delay. I am not worried about getting to BCN. It looks like there are quite a few flights to BCN from CDG or Orly. It's the luggage I am worried about and also getting a seat next to my son if we are bumped to another flight. He has some food allergies that could be life threatening and needs me there. Which day are you flying in?

We are leaving from Detroit on Thursday, our flight is at 9:40pm. We are scheduled to get in to Paris at 11:25am. Our connection to Barcelona is at 12:55pm. I'm also more worried about my luggage than anything else. It looks like AF has 4 later flights than the one we are scheduled for, plus all the other airlines' flights to Barcelona. What day are you flying out? What city in the US are your flying from? Best wishes to you that you *and* your luggage makes it.

We are leaving from Detroit on Thursday, our flight is at 9:40pm. We are scheduled to get in to Paris at 11:25am. Our connection to Barcelona is at 12:55pm. I'm also more worried about my luggage than anything else. It looks like AF has 4 later flights than the one we are scheduled for, plus all the other airlines' flights to Barcelona. What day are you flying out? What city in the US are your flying from? Best wishes to you that you *and* your luggage makes it.

Same to you. We are flying from Miami on Thursday, our flight is at 5:40 arriving in Paris at 8:10. We are scheduled on the 9:35 flight to Barcelona, which if we do not make it, it looks like we would be on the 12:55 flight. There are 10 daily flights from Paris(CDG or Orly) so I can't imagine that we would not be able to get on to one of them either Friday or Saturday morning. Our luggage on the other hand...

k8t, I notice in your sig you cruised the Med on RCI in 2008. What ports did you visit? Also, I'll be interested to hear how you compare RCI with DCL.

Hi all, for those of you that may be affected here are the details of the BA strikes that have been announced:

Cabin crew will walk out for four separate five-day strikes in May and June.

The first strike will begin on 18 May, ending on 22 May, with the three further strikes beginning on 24 May, 30 May and 5 June.

Seems like the they could disrupt some journeys home after the cruise.

Joe

Is anyone taking gymwear. I can't decide whether to bring gym stuff or whether to just take 2 weeks off my normal routine.

Not at all. In fact, someone else on our cruise had Jordak make it for them and I "borrowed" it. :)

You can also go to the Cruise Magnet thread (link on the web site), find one you like and ask Jordak to customize it for you. He turns them around quickly. I asked him to make the one with the wine bottle and glass and he had it done the same day.
I like the painting on the brick wall you "borrowed". If you could print that one out for me, I'd be ever so grateful! :love:

That may have been me that you "borrowed" it from :thumbsup2 . Had Jordak make that one earlier last week. I've been in an FE and Magnet making frenzy this weekend. :banana:
Hope you don't mind me "borrowing" it, too!!! :yay:

Weather update - showers in Barcelona through Saturday now. I REALLY hope they won't interfere with the sail away party. Disney is hands down the best at this. But sunny and 70's for Malta, Tunis, Naples, Rome!!! Maybe we won't have to pack as many sweaters as expected.
Sounds like perfect weather once we get out of Barcelona!

He made the same one for us!

Rain may be a blessing because it may help knock off some of the ash cloud...

Two more days for us! :yay::yay:
I may be wrong, but I think the ash is above the cloud level... :confused3 I hope you're right!

The good news is that the ash seems to be receding a little. BBC breakfast news just reported that all airports except a couple on portugal now reopened and there are just some delays of an hour or two on TA flights due to having to fly round the ash (like AlohaJo23 had). The TA flights to SPain may not even need to fly around as they would be coming in south of it anyway.

Keeping the old fingers crossed.

This week guys - we sail THIS WEEK!

:dance3::yay::cool1::cheer2::dance3:
Oh, man, let the ash stay away!!!! 3 more days!!!!

Im sure your children will be fine!

I was worried about how my DS7 (6 at the time) would adjust when we went from the UK to WDW last year but he was absolutely fine!

He was awake for about 20hours on Travel Day. (Excitement must have taken over) Woke up early the next morning & just carried on as normal. Never complained about being tired once!
Yes, but it's always easier going West than going East. You gain time going West. Hopefully we all adjust perfectly!

Hello All... Its official I have mentally checked out from work:rolleyes1
Kevin and I are going to try and meet up with everyone at the fountain...See you all soon.

Safe Travels

~Jamie
Oh, heck, I checked out at work last Thursday! I've not been too productive the last few days...

Is anyone taking gymwear. I can't decide whether to bring gym stuff or whether to just take 2 weeks off my normal routine.
I am. I'm hoping to power walk at the least. We'll see how much else I actually get done.

Sayhello

So it seems like Thursday morning is the worst day there is to get anyone to take me to the airport. Everyone has doctor's appointments, meetings they can't miss, etc. So, against my better judgement, I accepted a ride from a friends' sister. Yep, you guessed it, she called me today to tell me "Gee, sorry, but I can't take you to the airport." Seems their Mom, who refuses to move closer (she lives 2 1/2 hours away) but relies on them to help her when she needs it, is getting the cast off her broken arm Wednesday, and the sister is driving up Wednesday to take her to the doctor, and will be driving back on Thursday. Honestly, I'm not surprised, and I suppose it's better for her to cancel on me today than on Thursday. :headache:

There's nothing like Super Shuttle here. My options really are: driving myself & leaving the car in the parking lot for 18 days, or taking a taxi. I haven't decided yet which I'm going to do; either will be expensive. I think I'm leaning towards the taxi, just so I don't have to worry about it, and so I won't have to drive myself home when I get back (I *do* have a ride for when I get home on the Sunday).

I suppose if this is the worst thing that happens to me on this trip, I'm doing well... but I wish I didn't need to worry about it!

Sayhello

Would it be cheaper to hire a car for the day??:idea:
So it seems like Thursday morning is the worst day there is to get anyone to take me to the airport. Everyone has doctor's appointments, meetings they can't miss, etc. So, against my better judgement, I accepted a ride from a friends' sister. Yep, you guessed it, she called me today to tell me "Gee, sorry, but I can't take you to the airport." Seems their Mom, who refuses to move closer (she lives 2 1/2 hours away) but relies on them to help her when she needs it, is getting the cast off her broken arm Wednesday, and the sister is driving up Wednesday to take her to the doctor, and will be driving back on Thursday. Honestly, I'm not surprised, and I suppose it's better for her to cancel on me today than on Thursday. :headache:

There's nothing like Super Shuttle here. My options really are: driving myself & leaving the car in the parking lot for 18 days, or taking a taxi. I haven't decided yet which I'm going to do; either will be expensive. I think I'm leaning towards the taxi, just so I don't have to worry about it, and so I won't have to drive myself home when I get back (I *do* have a ride for when I get home on the Sunday).

I suppose if this is the worst thing that happens to me on this trip, I'm doing well... but I wish I didn't need to worry about it!

Sayhello

I will - even with all the walking we'll be doing at ports, I'd rather be careful and go to the gym most days to burn off all the food and drink :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter