May have to cancel the trip

xchristinax

Earning My Ears
I'm so bummed right now. I was in the process of saving up to pay off our first family trip in August. The only way we were going to be able to get there was by using a friend's buddy passes for the airline. The problem? They just got fired and now I can't afford to get there. It was going to be me, my boyfriend, my mom, dad, and little brother. It would be their first time going, and me and my boyfriend's 3rd time. They were so excited when I said I would pay for the trip and now it looks like I can't. I have just about enough to pay off the package, but I can't afford those insane flight prices. My mom recently went out and bought Disney shirts and everything. They haven't went on vacation in I'd say, close to 15 years. I feel so bad. I'm stuck at a dead end job and I don't know what to do. Again, so bummed :sad1:

I am sorry to hear that. I would suggest you to take your time and think twice, after all they are your parents. Once you talk with them with a clear intense in your mind I am sure they are going to understand. If you found it is possible to manage before august or afterwards just surprise them. :thumbsup2

First of all I'm so sorry your plans are not working out. :hug: I had the same problem last year as I was planning on going in August. Both me and my wife's job cut back on our hours just as we were getting our plans finalized. This year has been better so we are going in June.

Maybe you can think of it as just a delay and keep saving? Also, is it possible to change things to save money? Offsite? Quick service?

We were going to fly but instead will drive to save about $500. I just hope you don't see it as an end to the trip but just an opportunity to create a better trip a little ways down the road. :flower3:

:hug: I hope it all works out - I'm so sorry to hear - I know what its like to get all excited and then have to deal with something like this.

I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating this must be for you.

I suggest talking to your parents. Maybe they can help with the airfare. If not, perhaps you can consider driving down. With that many adults you could all drive a portion of the trip and it could do pretty quickly.

Good Luck!

What about driving? With that many adults, you can split it easily and save tons of money.

I second the driving option:thumbsup2you can get excellent itinerary advice from fellow MA drivers on the Transportation Board and have a wonderful trip:)

Yes i also agree but do not get disheartened,postpone it for a couple of months.save as much as you can and plan even a better trip with the better budget.good luck and best wishes!

I am sorry that happened!
I also think you should all drive down.

As for the buddy passes....sometimes they are great and other times not so much. I can't tell you how many times we had to wait and wait to get in and out of places. When my dad worked for the airline they were stand-by only. If there was no room or a flight got canceled you had to wait. It used to go by seniority (not so sure about now) so if someone came in (even after you) and had higher seniority, you got bumped off that flight.

I would just see about driving if you all can. Or take a bus or train? Or just postpone it a couple of months.

I can understand completely......I have a trip booked for September, I was looking forward to it since I got home last September. I have the money to pay for the trip, however since I got pregnant, my husband and I decided that the money would be better spent for bills and Christmas while I was out on maturnity leave. So...my Disney vacation is cancelled this year.

On the bright side though....I have started saving already and have planned a trip for 2011 with our new little one.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider driving (if that is an option). Like pp have said, with that many adults, driving would be quick and easy. If that isn't an option, plan a trip for 2011 and start saving now. Good luck!!!

Check with Am-Track. They have an Auto train that leaves from Lawton Va every day and goes to Sanford Fl. It takes just one night, is cheeper than flying and you should be able to make the station in one days driving. You then take your car right on the train and you have it with you for the time you are in Fl. We did this for several trips because my father would not fly. A little more driving but not bad and the train ride is kind of cool if you have never traveled by train before.

Cant you maybe move your trip back? Did you book using any discounts or pins? Nov 29th are when Disney rates get the lowest of the season Maybe you can go then?

How about talking to your family and explaining what's going on? They might be willing to help foot the transportation costs, since you so generously have said you'd pay for the trip.

My family has been driving to Disney from NJ for the past couple of years, we go down with 3 adults and 3 kids and found the airfare to be getting so outrageous it just didn't pay to fly. We've started driving in the afternoon and arriving the next morning, which works out well for us.

Good luck! I hope you come up with a plan that will work for you!! pixiedust:

I agree with the posters that say talk to your parents and consider driving. Driving down really isn't that bad. We drive 21 hrs each way from MI since the flight prices have gone up. Make a rode trip out of it. Its not as convenient as flying, but it can still be fun.

not sure what all your trip plans are or what the budget included for expenses, but maybe you can adjust your trip expenses: mad money? stroller rental? restaurants? dinner shows? fridge rental for room? hopper or waterpark tix? shorten the tripby a day or two?

also, did you book the trip with any of the WDW promos? or check to see if there is a different promo currently being offered that might save you more money.

i see you are from Boston. have you checked flights out of Manchester or TF Green for price comparison? another trick is to do a midweek to midweek trip. Airfare tends to be less that way. Also, last i checked the resorts cost more per night on Fri & Sat night stays. By doing midweek to midweek, you are potentially cutting out the premium for one of the weekends.

you could check the train as well, although everytime i have checked it, it isn't any kind of a deal.

personally i am not a fan of long road trips or driving straight thru. we did it all the time when i was growing up so maybe that is why i am jaded. also, if there are any breakdowns or accidents, it could seriously impact costs. with 4 adults and 1 child, that would require a roomy vehicle IMHO.

I know exactly how you feel! We were supposed to go on the DCL this March and for unforseen reason had to cancel. It broke my heart to look into those four faces and say we had to change plans. We are going to go next year though and maybe something will happen for you all to be able to go as well:hug:

I know the drive from MA is very long we have done it many many times! But it will save soooo much money!
I would also check the amtrack auto train. we are looking into that for out next trip in the spring,

Double check the airlines...how about southwest?! I work for Delta and sometimes you can get a cheaper 'real' ticket than what our buddy passes go for! Hope you find something!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter