• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May be obvious to others, but is contact solution

bear_mom

DIS Veteran
considered a medication? Dd just got contacts and will want to take them to Disney. Does her contact solution need to be less than 3 ounces or can it be considered a medication and not subjected to the 3 ounce rule (I know that it still needs to be separated and declared).

Thanks!

For all the aggravation it may cause you, (getting a doctor's note, having it out seperate for inspection, having it inspected) it would be easier to bring a travel size in her carry on.

considered a medication? Dd just got contacts and will want to take them to Disney. Does her contact solution need to be less than 3 ounces or can it be considered a medication and not subjected to the 3 ounce rule (I know that it still needs to be separated and declared).

Thanks!
When I fly, I bring a travel size. It's more than enough to get me through a week (assuming it's at least 1/2 full).

The answer to OP's question in difficult to find on TSA's site. But, a couple of manufacturer's sites say that solution is "medical." A lot depends on the airport security screener you encounter.

For all the aggravation it may cause you, (getting a doctor's note, having it out seperate [sic] for inspection, having it inspected) it would be easier to bring a travel size in her carry on.

You do not have to have any type of note from a physician to take meds through security.

OP, your lens solution should be fine as it is needed medically, just put it in a separate bag when you go through security.

Are you checking any luggage?
If yes just fill the contact case with fresh solution that will get you through the first night if luggage gets delayed, if luggage gets lost the bottle of solution can be purchased at the gift shop. Bringing oversized approved liquids though security is a PITA. We have had to do it with breast milk the last 3 times we have flown, and it was a big pain at the small airport I fly from, Orlando airport, and Phoenix.

I have taken a larger than 3.4 oz through security and it was allowed. I just had to have it out and let TSA know. But as PP has stated, may be just easier to put a larger bottle in checked bag and a travel size in your 3-1-1 bag.

When I fly, I bring a travel size. It's more than enough to get me through a week (assuming it's at least 1/2 full).

I forgot to cover this..... I can't find her brand of solution in a travel size. Since she is new to contacts and very anal to begin with, asking her to change isn't an option.

Thanks, to the rest of you who said that a larger size can be carried through. I already have a separate bag for my inhaler and children's sudafed so I will just put a bottle in there. I will put the larger bottle in our checked bag.

Emily

When my dd travels, she brings her full sized solution. She leaves it out, and puts it next to her 3-1-1 baggie. If the TSA people want to check it, they can. I have handed it to them but on several occasions I have been told that there is no need to hand it to them. Just leave it out, in the open.

"getting a doctor's note,"

TSA will not even look at a doctor's note. Who's to say it's even real?

I forgot to cover this..... I can't find her brand of solution in a travel size. Since she is new to contacts and very anal to begin with, asking her to change isn't an option.

Thanks, to the rest of you who said that a larger size can be carried through. I already have a separate bag for my inhaler and children's sudafed so I will just put a bottle in there. I will put the larger bottle in our checked bag.

Emily

I don't wear contacts, so I may sound like an idiot here, but why can't the solution be poured into a container that is less than 3.4 oz? Can contact solution not be poured?

If it can be poured, I would think that the easiest thing to do would be to put some into a small container for the carry on and then if you don't think that will be enough for your trip, take the rest in your checked luggage. That way you won't have to worry.

I don't wear contacts, so I may sound like an idiot here, but why can't the solution be poured into a container that is less than 3.4 oz? Can contact solution not be poured?

If it can be poured, I would think that the easiest thing to do would be to put some into a small container for the carry on and then if you don't think that will be enough for your trip, take the rest in your checked luggage. That way you won't have to worry.

Seems like a good idea. The other option would to check with her doc for similar solutions that come in travel size and have her try the before you go. One other idea see if doc has sample size that would work of her solution.

gdrj said:
Seems like a good idea. The other option would to check with her doc for similar solutions that come in travel size and have her try the before you go. One other idea see if doc has sample size that would work of her solution.

Contact solution is sterile. For infection control reasons, the bottle tip should not come into contact with any surface & the solution should only be used from the original container. Also, there are instances of people using a different container & inadvertently putting other chemicals in their eyes because the container was the same or similar.

Emily

I TOTALLY get your issue!! I have been wearing contacts for years but I can't change solutions! Everytime I have tried, it turns into a disaster and my eyes burn and itch! :sad: UGH!! I have had a Horrible time trying to find my solution in travel size but surprisingly I just happened to stumble on some in the travel section of the GROCERY store of all places!! So check all those places that have travel products. But if all else fails, take the full sized one! I just like having the smaller one because I have SO MUCH other stuff so it's just so much easier to have the smallest I can find of everything! ;)
Good Luck! :thumbsup2

I believe that lens solution is considered a medication. And this is why we have yet to have an issue taking a full sized bottle through security. As long as you are up front about it, and leave it out so that they can see it, you should be fine. There should be no need to transfer it to a smaller container, or to look for travel sizes.

If you can't find travel sizes in the stores you could always ask the eye doctor if they have samples or trial sizes.

When I traveled with contacts in the 3-1-1 world, here's what I've done. I created my little 3-1-1 bag with everything unrelated to the contacts. I created a second clear plastic bag (gallon sized) with everything related to my contacts. Full size solution, extra contacts, two cases, etc. Took both plastic bags out of my suitcase for the TSA line, put them in the bin with my shoes and never got one word about it.

Hope this helps!

When I traveled with contacts in the 3-1-1 world, here's what I've done. I created my little 3-1-1 bag with everything unrelated to the contacts. I created a second clear plastic bag (gallon sized) with everything related to my contacts. Full size solution, extra contacts, two cases, etc. Took both plastic bags out of my suitcase for the TSA line, put them in the bin with my shoes and never got one word about it.

Hope this helps!
Hopefully others will believe this. They don't seem to want to believe me!! :thumbsup2

We have never had any problems with contact solution going through security at the airport. You may want to ask the doctor if there is a smaller bottle available since it is much easier to carry the small bottle in the parks all day. Not sure what solution she uses - have you googled to see if a travel size exists. We always carry a small bottle of solution to the parks since you never know when it may be needed. Take it from someone who had worries when I first got my contacts - before she realizes it they will be no problem at all using and she will just love having them. We always make sure to travel with an extra pair and a copy of our prescription in case there is ever a need for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter