May Announcement?

I was underwhelmed.

It's very nice to look at...and will be better when the mine coaster is complete. But the Belle cottage show was a one-and-done for our family. Kids are 12 & 10 and were bored throughout. Only way we even got them to do it was by keeping the show I secret. If I had told them it was a play where audience members act out B&TB, they never would have set foot in the queue.

Ariel's Undersea Adventures is a ride I'd been on a dozen times at DCA. It's OK, but overall a pointless carbon copy addition for the MK.

Bottom line: you look at everything they added and can't help but shake your head, thinking "this is the best they could do with a half billion dollars?!?"

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHOOTS And SCOOORRESSS!!

Thats it right there...

I'll try not to be longwinded (but will fail...so skip to the end if you've got time constraints)...

This quote sums me up too.

I didn't not like anything they did...it was all done well. But it was completely underwhelming.

The best thing one can honestly say it: "wow...its really themed well/detailed"

That would be a good compliment...except that is what disney has always prided itself to doing anyway. That used to be the sauce on the sandwich...not the main course.
It just shows you how they've lowered their own bar (while jacking prices) and the public will buy it...the legacy of poor theming at MGM (where they can claim intent buy it just was done cheaply), AK in some areas (chester and hester specifically), hong kong, the original Cali Adventure, studios paris and on and on.

Theming was good but that should have never been in doubt.

I like the dumbo area...but it is repurposing with some added detail...nothing to hoopla about.
The little mermaid ride is a good AA ride...but is simply an updated small world or perhaps The Seas with Nemo. It has no technological achievement or complexity...less than the forty year old POTC or Haunted Mansion. My 3 and 5 year olds loved it though. Cute Ride.

Gastons Tavern looked cool, as did the new beauty and the beast shop and Belle's bathrooms...but not really notable after first glance...kinda just a blend in like Pinocchio's village house.

Be Our Guest was very cool (ate there at dinner)...a nice new dining room....but the food was bad...as is the way of the magic kingdom. I used to think the rats stole all the good food down in the utilidoors...but its obvious that the food doesn't need to be good...so they don't bother to make it good. BOG is just for the show...so one and done is fine. The 60 minute line for the quickserve at lunch just shows how desperate the public is for anything new...and how disney suffers no blowback from their consistent downscaling of additions to WDW for 15 years. Shame on us all.

The snow white coaster looks to be a cool little ride...but not "e ticket" by any means. It will be fun but designed for high capacity...which means probably a 45 second run if your lucky...with an hour wait.

That's it...folks. I won't even bother mentioning "princess fairytale hall" under construction other than it will be an incredibly uncomfortable meet and greet for photopass than is obviously plopped next to bibbidi bobbity for some kind of tie in purpose. new belle show area and ariel's grotto adds nothing...same stuff in a different spot.

Overall they are nice LITTLE additions. It's not a large area of new attractions nor is it incredibly attention grabbing. It is just an augment.

But i have to agree that "Is this what 500 million buys" was the proper take. And though i am steeped in a daily cup of sarcasm...that is not how i wanted to feel going in. I wanted to be thoroughly impressed...but that's just not what they've built.

And i could never understand why it took so long...now i realize that i didn't think that ENOUGH. Really embarrassing timeline for the amount of engineering that it took. which appears to be little (one dining room, bathrooms, one shop, second dumbo, cloned dark ride...and the coaster which should have been about 75% of the challenge) They've built far more in much less time (comparatively)...like the whole magic kingdom, epcot, or the stormalong bay pool at yacht club.

Bad show.

My wife's assessment was quick and probably better
"The two sets of bathrooms might be the highlight to the new stuff"

ouch, babypixiedust:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHOOTS And SCOOORRESSS!!

Thats it right there...

I'll try not to be longwinded (but will fail...so skip to the end if you've got time constraints)...

This quote sums me up too.

I didn't not like anything they did...it was all done well. But it was completely underwhelming.

The best thing one can honestly say it: "wow...its really themed well/detailed"

That would be a good compliment...except that is what disney has always prided itself to doing anyway. That used to be the sauce on the sandwich...not the main course.
It just shows you how they've lowered their own bar (while jacking prices) and the public will buy it...the legacy of poor theming at MGM (where they can claim intent buy it just was done cheaply), AK in some areas (chester and hester specifically), hong kong, the original Cali Adventure, studios paris and on and on.

Theming was good but that should have never been in doubt.

I like the dumbo area...but it is repurposing with some added detail...nothing to hoopla about.
The little mermaid ride is a good AA ride...but is simply an updated small world or perhaps The Seas with Nemo. It has no technological achievement or complexity...less than the forty year old POTC or Haunted Mansion. My 3 and 5 year olds loved it though. Cute Ride.

Gastons Tavern looked cool, as did the new beauty and the beast shop and Belle's bathrooms...but not really notable after first glance...kinda just a blend in like Pinocchio's village house.

Be Our Guest was very cool (ate there at dinner)...a nice new dining room....but the food was bad...as is the way of the magic kingdom. I used to think the rats stole all the good food down in the utilidoors...but its obvious that the food doesn't need to be good...so they don't bother to make it good. BOG is just for the show...so one and done is fine. The 60 minute line for the quickserve at lunch just shows how desperate the public is for anything new...and how disney suffers no blowback from their consistent downscaling of additions to WDW for 15 years. Shame on us all.

The snow white coaster looks to be a cool little ride...but not "e ticket" by any means. It will be fun but designed for high capacity...which means probably a 45 second run if your lucky...with an hour wait.

That's it...folks. I won't even bother mentioning "princess fairytale hall" under construction other than it will be an incredibly uncomfortable meet and greet for photopass than is obviously plopped next to bibbidi bobbity for some kind of tie in purpose. new belle show area and ariel's grotto adds nothing...same stuff in a different spot.

Overall they are nice LITTLE additions. It's not a large area of new attractions nor is it incredibly attention grabbing. It is just an augment.

But i have to agree that "Is this what 500 million buys" was the proper take. And though i am steeped in a daily cup of sarcasm...that is not how i wanted to feel going in. I wanted to be thoroughly impressed...but that's just not what they've built.

And i could never understand why it took so long...now i realize that i didn't think that ENOUGH. Really embarrassing timeline for the amount of engineering that it took. which appears to be little (one dining room, bathrooms, one shop, second dumbo, cloned dark ride...and the coaster which should have been about 75% of the challenge) They've built far more in much less time (comparatively)...like the whole magic kingdom, epcot, or the stormalong bay pool at yacht club.

Bad show.

My wife's assessment was quick and probably better
"The two sets of bathrooms might be the highlight to the new stuff"

ouch, babypixiedust:

Not surprising, but none the less...Yikes.

This board lives off of rumors

I love ya, Baby...

but i have to say that i'm convinced you're getting sucked in by alot of bad sources/ rumors.

even you're response today is kinda fool's errand:

they announced avatarland two years ago and haven't moved one shovel yet...we know that it's going to have a huge pricetag and may open after 4 years of construction that gets us to 2017...
so now you're saying that they are going to clone a large area from california and open it one year later without any hint that its even been looked at beyond blue sky at this point for studios? which would involve massive demolition of existing structures, possible rerouting of utilities and access roadways...and perhaps a parking garage (probably most likely a parking garage)?

No way in Hizzie...that is just not a reasonable rumor even to float. it's the kinda "bus driver" employee based garbage that just gets people's gears wound too tight.

And that doesn't even address that from a business standpoint replacating Carsland doesn't make any sense on so many levels....notably reducing the draw to disneyland, spending a huge amount on capital construction in one spot in a short period of time without developing something for a new demographic, and trying to "draw" in crowds from Western Europe, South America, The East Coast and Upper Midwest (shout out to my Canadians too) who already are flocking there like its Mecca...

I know that rumors drive this board and its all in fun...but things that are just made of smoke and nothing aren't exceptionally productive or amusing.

sorry:sad:

I love ya, Baby...

but i have to say that i'm convinced you're getting sucked in by alot of bad sources/ rumors.

even you're response today is kinda fool's errand:

they announced avatarland two years ago and haven't moved one shovel yet...we know that it's going to have a huge pricetag and may open after 4 years of construction that gets us to 2017...
so now you're saying that they are going to clone a large area from california and open it one year later without any hint that its even been looked at beyond blue sky at this point for studios? which would involve massive demolition of existing structures, possible rerouting of utilities and access roadways...and perhaps a parking garage (probably most likely a parking garage)?

No way in Hizzie...that is just not a reasonable rumor even to float. it's the kinda "bus driver" employee based garbage that just gets people's gears wound too tight.

And that doesn't even address that from a business standpoint replacating Carsland doesn't make any sense on so many levels....notably reducing the draw to disneyland, spending a huge amount on capital construction in one spot in a short period of time without developing something for a new demographic, and trying to "draw" in crowds from Western Europe, South America, The East Coast and Upper Midwest (shout out to my Canadians too) who already are flocking there like its Mecca...

I know that rumors drive this board and its all in fun...but things that are just made of smoke and nothing aren't exceptionally productive or amusing.

sorry:sad:

Never said cars land was coming only pointed out the rumor from otpn. Avatar was always expected to start in 2013

The people i trust are from wdwmagic lee marni and spirit and none are in love with avatar although they want it to work and all say its coming in some form

No reason to be sad. I feel bad for people who actually get mad over an expansion announcement. Taking this stuff way too serious

Glad your back you certainly make this a better board

No problem...anyone interested in the development is good people in my book...

But all internet purveyors of rumors of Disney "development" are all the same in my book:

Unimportant people trying to make themselves so while spreading falsehoods (when wrong) or mostly common sense stuff (when right) about a corporate juggernaut that could crush them at a moments notice like an ant. And largely they don't understand...particularly in regards to Florida.
And usually trying to make a sponsor buck off it...mostly from obselete travel agents and sites.

Wait...this isn't Interco....oh never mind :)

The sources...that is.....whether they're josh, Judy, nancy or Nina

Unimportant people trying to make themselves so while spreading falsehoods (when wrong) or mostly common sense stuff (when right) about a corporate juggernaut that could crush them at a moments notice like an ant. And largely they don't understand...particularly in regards to Florida.
And usually trying to make a sponsor buck off it...mostly from obselete travel agents and sites.

For the most part, I agree. Some just want the attention (and website traffic) no matter the cost, and will gleefully post any supposed "insider information" given to them without even attempting to corroborate, fact check or even apply a dose of common sense.

3-6 months ago one website posted an extensive renovation plan for DHS including the Carthay Circle Theater restaurant from DCA (despite the fact that CCT is already present in DHS), a new stage show, Cars Land, Monster's Inc Coaster, Star Wars Land...I'm breathless just typing it all. Does anyone REALLY believe that $2 BILLION makeover is in the works? (Apparently some people did. :( )

Then there's today's cited report from OTPN--a website I had never heard of before 6 hours ago. Their report--credited to "Anonymous Source"--is preceded by the following disclaimer:

"(NOTE: The following are all RUMORS that may or may NOT happen, as plans can change at any time. Please, do NOT take these as done deals, as all will be officially revealed very soon by the Walt Disney World Resort):"

Here's my interpretation of the disclaimer: "This rumor was emailed to us by someone who may or may not know anything about Disney's plans. And even if he/she does know what Disney's working on, those plans could easily change in the next 3 months. So none of this may ever happen. But if it DOES happen, remember you read it here first!!!!"

The real shame is that readers so willingly discuss, repost and repeat these unsourced rumors without really questioning the origin. I'm convinced that many Disney fans get more worked-up over these false rumors that it taints their overall impression of the parks. People get upset over changes which never end up happening--and were probably never in the pipeline to begin with.

I suppose it would be nice if the websites and blogs did a better job of vetting their sources before posting such rumors. In lieu of that, the public should do a better job of holding sites accountable for their misinformation.

Tjkraz,

I would have to agree with you 100%

Especially about how the rumors and the Internet ruin the perception/ experiences for many...couldn't agree more.

The other thing that burns me...and this is the reality...is that the vast majority of them are from rank and file Disney employees...
Because this is what they do to you - making minimum wage (by and large)...but laying on a layer of bupka that puts people into a fog...teaching them to talk about "The Company" as if its somekind of after school club. But it's just a mass employer - walmart or McDonald's with a park ticket...
But the employee based rumors are - I believe - are what I had said: unimportant people struggling to try and make themselves feel
Like they're not.

But they are...and the recklessness of the internet gives voice.

And it provides a shield for Disney to exploit us all...if people are subscribing to mass rumors of "exciting new things"...then they are distracted to how they are being squeezed. Mainly frequent, chronic raises in costs beyond reasonable rates and the reduction of services without objection.
It's "la-la" economics...on the fourth dimension.

People think the money is going to build more things for them...when more often than not its being sliced off the top and sent up the ladder and is garnered by the same or in some cases LESS than what you paid for...at a significantly higher cost.

The stupidity rumors feed that monster

I agree with what you guys are saying but this is a news and rumors board and to me its all in fun thats why i dont get the anger over certain projects, whether it be avatar (no this is not a thread about avatar)or how new fantasy land looks... half the rumors are crap but its fun to hope...im a big college football fan and love recruiting and recruiting and these rumor boards have two things in common....

1. there is tons of fluidity (things are always changing)
2. both are based on hope

good discussion though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter