~May 7, 2011~ 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Magic!

Since it is fairly cheap, that's why I figured I'd give it a try. The massages seem to get medicore reviews so I figured it was worth a shot.

Can you request a dining rotation online or does that require a phone call? I'd like to put in a request to be in Lumiere's on formal night but couldn't find a way to do that online. With all the talk on here about DCL's line being so busy I've been a tad to lazy to call.

FWIW, I got a 10:30 port check in time and I'm only silver. It was wide open when I booked stuff this morning. Palo still seemed pretty open when I booked and then subsequently moved my reservation. (I'm a tad indecisive).

I'm a bit surprised the paradise point tramway is booked. I looked up the tramway online and it's about a 5-10 minute walk aross the street from the port. Doesn't really seem like something worth taking a tour to do. I'm planning to take my son while DH is scuba diving that morning but was just going to walk over myself. Of course, now I'm worried I'm going to get stuck behind a gaggle of people. I may have to get going before the tour leaves....

WE have our travel agent request the dining rotaion for us. I am sure you could DCL and request a rotation.

We plan on trying the tramway when we get back from our snorkel trip. I've read some info on other sites. They recommend not going when your ship first comes into port, let the crowds die down abit.

Very Excited cruisers here. We were able to get everthing we wanted at 12:00 am.

May 9 Palo High Tea - I really wanted this. My DH proposed to me on this date 29 years ago, at tea. I still don't know if it was my scones or me that prompted the proposal. We also booked Palo for dinner on Pirate night and brunch on the last sea day.

For shore excursions we booked the Under Two Flags Tour and Coral World Ocean Park & Scenic Drive.

I would like to explore the spa treatments but am concerned about the scents. How strong are the scents that are used? Is the Rainforest room scented?

How old is your daughter? My son is 4 and will be 5 by the time we cruise. The kids club is pretty much the main reason we opted to cruise again.

I was ambivalent about cruising in general so we tried a 4-night just to try it out. We literally had to drag my son out of there each day. It was a great way for all of us to have great vacation with family time combined with time for just me and DH.

My daughter is 4 gone Jan, and we have registered DS for the nursery but aren't sure whether we will put him in as still feel he may a bit young but then again we might just want a couple of hours to ourselves one day!

I have showed her the video on the web site and she seems to like the look if it, especially the Snow White dancing! Not sure when that will be on the cruise but hopefully she will enjoy that.

Has anyone else been hearing a lot of bad reviews about the Magic lately? I knew that I would be hearing a lot less about the ship with the Dream coming out, and that I would be seeing a lot of posts about the Dream... but now I am just hearing BAD reviews.

People are saying that the service is really lacking and that they are cutting a lot because of the Dream. I just don't want to pay this much money for them to be "working out the kinks" on the oldest ship that they have! This is why we decided to sail on the Magic instead of the Dream.... :confused: I didn't want to be a part of the initial problems and issues that they would come across at first, so we went with the older ship.

But, now from what I am hearing they are pulling a lot of the more experienced waiters and crew members to be on the Dream.

I really just want someone to make me feel a little less nervous about this. :flower3: I have never sailed on DCL before, so I doubt I will see any of monor issues that other people may see because I won't have anything to compare to, but I just think that waiting 45 minutes between courses at dinner and stuff like that is CRAZY!

I was reading the thread about the recent Eastern while I was eating my lunch and started to wonder the same thing. We too avoided the Dream for the very same reason but it didn't occur to me that the Magic would have all new CMs as well.

It's tough to gage, though as 1 1/2 - 2 hour meals are pretty normal. That's part of the reason why we switched to late dining. Main dining really did feel like I spent the good portion of my cruise rushing to dinner. I'm curious, though, if that poster's problem was a combination of new servers plus size of their traveling party. On our first cruise, for example, we were sat with another family who was chronically late for dinner. It threw the timing of the whole meal off for all of us because they'd hold the entrees to be served together. It was annoying but the server gave us the heads up that we could order earlier (rather than wait for them to show up). I wonder if they had a bit of that going on too. Plus, trying to negotiate a buffet with 3 kids sucks no matter where you are. I don't think that's DCLs problem that someone doesn't have enough hands for all those trays. That comes with the territory when you have kids.

I am a bit weirded out by the reports that the Oceaneer's Club was closed for a day. I don't mind at all that they combine the activities among the age groups but my kid loves that slide. It's a great place to work out some excess kid energy for a little one. There wasn't a reason posted but I'm guessing with low occupancy (given the fact it was a port day) it probably made sense to combine the counselors in one location.

Overall though, I am a tad nervous. Part of the reason we opt to return to Disney time and again is that I know and expect their level of customer service. I would have expected a company that prides itself on consistent service like Disney does to have gotten their act together much faster. I don't want to feel like I know more about DCL's policies than the CMs. That being said, I'm not too concerned it's going to ruin my vacation.

I'm nervous too....and as first time DCL cruiser even more. But as more I'm reading this posts....it's just bad luck what you get as servers. I read they pulled 1/3 of experience crew off because of the Dream. Some people had great time with not much problems....so what should we do? I think wait and hope that we get some of old crew which still remain on Magic. There is no way that my kids would behave for 3 or more hours....it's just too much to expect from them.

I've been reading about the problems on the ships as well. Just remember if you do have a problem especially at meal time, talk to your head server. It's their job to get things sorted out with your server and asst server if there is an issue.

We have 3 months until we cruise. :goodvibes
That should be plenty of time for all the new cast members to learn the ropes.

Lexa, we had late dining with our GS (age 3). He had never been to childcare or preschool so we weren't sure if you would like the clubs. We took him there the afternoon we got on board and let him play.

At some point in the late afternoon we would get him a snack from the fast food places by the pools to tide him over until dinner.
When we went to dinner the first night we told our waiter we wanted him to go to the club. The club sends someone to the dining rooms to pick kids up, so the parents can finish their meal. :cool1:
They got his meal right away. When the kids club staff came they rounded him up and away they went. It was heaven!

This is by-far the earliest we've ever booked a cruise and got to book excursions in advance. We booked some things a couple weeks ago which was about the earliest anyone could book. One of the butterfly excursions was "not available" and neither was the skyride at St. Thomas.

We intentionally avoided a winter cruise this year figuring service would be questionable. I think things will improve by May.

I've been reading about the problems on the ships as well. Just remember if you do have a problem especially at meal time, talk to your head server. It's their job to get things sorted out with your server and asst server if there is an issue.

This is what I was just talking about with my DH last night. If our cruise was next week, I would be more concerned. I have worked in restaurants and 3 months is plenty of time train someone.

Didn't mean to freak anyone out. :flower3: I was just so nervous reading that yesterday :scared1:

In lighter news, I think I am going out to Old Navy today to look at sundresses :yay: I have a 25% off coupon and I feel a need to burn some money on cruise clothes!

Any of your previous DCL sailers - How many travel documents do you need to print out and bring with you when you board? My TA just sent me an email from Disney and they just updated the system to make the travel docs easier - and I am just wondering how many there are... :upsidedow

This is what I was just talking about with my DH last night. If our cruise was next week, I would be more concerned. I have worked in restaurants and 3 months is plenty of time train someone.

Didn't mean to freak anyone out. :flower3: I was just so nervous reading that yesterday :scared1:

In lighter news, I think I am going out to Old Navy today to look at sundresses :yay: I have a 25% off coupon and I feel a need to burn some money on cruise clothes!

Any of your previous DCL sailers - How many travel documents do you need to print out and bring with you when you board? My TA just sent me an email from Disney and they just updated the system to make the travel docs easier - and I am just wondering how many there are... :upsidedow

Don't worry about freaking anyone out. After all the posts about the decline in service, I'm sure we have all had the same thoughts about our cruise.

LOVE COUPONS!! Good luck shopping!

There is only one thing you need to print out now. Your signed and completed Online Check-In Signature Form

If you need the special services form or minor authorization form, you should down load those and print them out. The special services form should be faxed or mailed in in advance of the trip. The minor form you bring with you.

:goodvibes Thanks! I'm a crazy couponer. I have periods where burn out a little, but for the most part I only buy things on sale and with a coupon... I will never undersatnd the coupon haters!

Last week I got YELLED at by 3 CVS cashiers AND the manager when I tried to use a BOGO coupon with a BOGO sale. I was irate. If I know your coupon policy, then you should too!

I'll let you guys know what kind of deals I find out and about today. :thumbsup2

That is - if it stops snowing and I can get out of here :eek:

Hello!
We have finally decided on the May 7th eastern:banana:. I am soooooo excited. A little nervous too. This will be our first cruise.
Me- Maggie (35)
DH - Frank (42)
DS- Carl (7)

Hello!
We have finally decided on the May 7th eastern:banana:. I am soooooo excited. A little nervous too. This will be our first cruise.
Me- Maggie (35)
DH - Frank (42)
DS- Carl (7)

Welcome aboard! That's so exciting! I can't wait for this trip :cloud9:

ETA: I never did make it to Old Navy today :rolleyes: but I did get a *free* travel size perfume for the cruise with a coupon at Bath & Body Works! Every little bit helps!

Hi, just found this thread. My family will also be on this cruise :woohoo:.
Myself 37, husband 36, DD 14, DS 10, DS5 and the in-laws. We have one of the SPH rooms on 5 and the in-laws are across the hall.
We can't wait!!!!!:banana:

Hi, just found this thread. My family will also be on this cruise :woohoo:.
Myself 37, husband 36, DD 14, DS 10, DS5 and the in-laws. We have one of the SPH rooms on 5 and the in-laws are across the hall.
We can't wait!!!!!:banana:

:welcome: Have you decided on any excursions yet?

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that I have a friend that just returned from an Eastern Caribbean cruise this week and said that her ship sucked (Carnival! ;)) but the ports were absolutely beautiful!!! :banana:

She suggested Magens Bay in St Thomas. Apparently, she said it had great shopping AND was a really beautiful beach :goodvibes

Thank You!!
So far I have the Full Day Caribbean Sail and Snorkel to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach booked. Not sure about St. Maarten yet.
I was also able to book Palo dinner, brunch and tea :banana:
I booked the parasailing in CC, but think I may cancel too much $$$ for so little time.

Welcome Maggieb! I am sure we will all have a blast! This will be my second Disney Cruise, but my family that is joining me has never cruised.

You just can't go wrong with DISNEY!:cheer2:

Lexa, we had late dining with our GS (age 3). He had never been to childcare or preschool so we weren't sure if you would like the clubs. We took him there the afternoon we got on board and let him play.

At some point in the late afternoon we would get him a snack from the fast food places by the pools to tide him over until dinner.
When we went to dinner the first night we told our waiter we wanted him to go to the club. The club sends someone to the dining rooms to pick kids up, so the parents can finish their meal. :cool1:
They got his meal right away. When the kids club staff came they rounded him up and away they went. It was heaven!

Thats great to know. Since it's ours first DCL cruise I have no idea who some things work. I'm sure my kids will enjoy clubs better then sitting at the dinner for 2 or more hours.

So when you mention to the waiter that kids are going to the club, they call people from the club? That sounds great, specially if they get dinner right away without waiting too long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter