May 6, 2006 - 7 nite Western - Anyone Crusing?

Hey,
Ok, it's addictive now to have a place to share the excitement. Jillane, 22 of us fly out of Oakland, CA, we "Pick Up" 4 more on our stopover in New Mexico, and the two sane ones fly in on their own from Washington state. We will be arriving Friday night and staying at the Embassy Suites by the airport. We then have a private mini bus picking us up kit n kaboodle bright and early Saturday.
Sooo exciting!
We have a group room booked at Palo and all the shore excursions are planned. We've had so much rain here in CA this spring that a bit of Caribbean sun will be just the ticket!
Have fun with your planning! :sunny:

"(And I packed 18 pairs of undies so I wouldn't have to do my lingerie in public!)" That's just a little too much information! (I'm just thankful they now make Depends in adult sizes!!! :rotfl2: )

Assistant?? Yeah, mine has four legs, whiskers, and wouldn't catch a mouse ( :mickeyjum ) if it jumped on her. She just wanted me to know it was time for me to feed her and change the litter box. (Some assistant - aren't I?) Actually, she is an 18 year old Heinz 57 cat who died four years ago but my DW didn't have the heart to tell her. :cat:

As to cheaper to book on board, I mentioned in an earlier post a friend of ours was told Disney would match anyother TA price for a future cruise AND give you an onboard credit IF you can prove the price and book it before THIS cruise is over. I've never tried it, but DCL rates are always the highest you can get. Right now it would cost nearly $1000 more for us to get the same stateroom. (This is, however, the first time I've ever slept in a lifeboat!?!) :boat:

Hey Heather - the sunscreen would be a great idea if I could reach my feet! I thought my belly would block the rays, but alas....big feet "run" in my family!

No tickets yet. :smooth: :badpc: I may be watching you sail into the eastern "sunset" (?) as you sail off from PC. Hint to anyone reading this from Cruise(dot)com - - - GET A !@##$%^&*(*&^%$ MOVE ON IT WILL YA!!

(I feel better ;) )

Hey Wendi, Personally, I couldn't care less if I meet any of you people, but I've GOT to meet Grandma!! Anybody 88 who is brave enough to fly across the country and travel for a week with 27 crazy people (not including the vast array of mental cases on this board!) is special indeed. (And I thought I was the one fighting mental health!)

A friend of ours father (97) and told him (66) he was marrying his 28 year old nurse. (Interestingly enough she is from Georgia. I wonder if her name is Amy??? Hmmm?) Anywho, our friend told his father "Dad, that might not be a good idea. In fact it might actually be rather dangerous."

The old man looked his son square in the eyes and said "Well son, if she dies - she dies". You go Granny!!! I've got a chocolate souffle waiting for you at Palo's with your name on it! :stir:

Bye!
Chris :hourglass

OK Chris,
We'll certainly let you have a look at our ever lovin Gram but don't be thinking you are going to attempt to coddle her in any way. We have spent years getting her all toughened up, just the way we like her. Don't be giving her any delusions of grandeur! She was seated perfectly happy on the curb at DL last December waiting for the fireworks and a lovely family from Arizona attempted to abduct her and take her away from her evil children and grandchildren.
Now this is, mind you, an 88 year old woman who still goes to work at an accounting firm 5 days a week, still drives and plays the meanedt round of Skipbo this side of the Mississippi. If she hasn't achieved celebrity status by cruise end we won't know the reason why! She will adore the attention of this post by the way and it will probably take days for us to get her back in line!! ;) :goodvibes

If we can find a piano on that bucket of bolts I'll promise to play anything SHE WANTS TO SING! (My speciality is the key of "Q" flat! :charac2: Lawrence Welk lives!! :groom: )

My father lived with us the last 10 years of his life until he reached the youthful age of 91. His goal in life was to gain 1 pound for every year he lived and he wanted to eventually weigh 789 pounds! He came darn close!! :bday: He was born two months after the Titanic sank!! :sail: He always CLAIMED it wasn't his fault, but.....???? I guess any day above ground is a "good" day! :rotfl2:

Still NO TICKETS!!! (I want my $15 bucks back if I don't get to go!! :furious: )

Later Ya'll!
Chris :yay:

Oo-de-lally Gal said:
Hey,
Ok, it's addictive now to have a place to share the excitement. Jillane, 22 of us fly out of Oakland, CA, we "Pick Up" 4 more on our stopover in New Mexico, and the two sane ones fly in on their own from Washington state. We will be arriving Friday night and staying at the Embassy Suites by the airport. We then have a private mini bus picking us up kit n kaboodle bright and early Saturday.
Sooo exciting!
We have a group room booked at Palo and all the shore excursions are planned. We've had so much rain here in CA this spring that a bit of Caribbean sun will be just the ticket!
Have fun with your planning! :sunny:

I used to live and work near the Bay Area, thats why I asked the question. The traffic there is a mess though and I'm glad I'm not there at this point. We still fly into Sacramento on occasion to visit family over in that area.

Your gram sounds like an amazing woman! I hope I'm that spry at 88! :thumbsup2

So I've been shopping all morning, I keep waking up in the middle of the night remembering something else I need to buy. I went to JoAnns fabric store for fabric markers and ended up walking out with a soft-sided beverage cooler - and that wasn't even on my list of "must-haves". I'm gonna have to hide it in a suitcase pocket so DH doesn't see it. He'd have a heart attack if he saw that AND the over-the-door shoe holder thingy! :rotfl2:

Heather

Well I sure hope you all get a chance to meet my fantastic Gram. She really is a great gal and we love her very much! Her husband just passed away in January and we are all so grateful that this cruise has been a wonderful thing for her to look forward to. We also have gathered several times as a family to "Plan" and make doorsigns. We even attempted a Family weigh in to try to lose the extra poundage but since all the "weigh in" gatherings featured a huge family feast we were really defeating the purpose. So all 2 and 1/2 tons of us (literally, we added it up!) will be at the port a week from Saturday. :cool1:
I am off to Kohl's and then we are making a mass trip tomorrow for a bit more sparkle for formal night!
Have fun everyone!
Wendi

Oh no, oh no, oh no!

My dh just called me at work to share with me that our middle son has a temp of 101.3. What do I do? We're leaving in 38 hours!

This is just the worst! I'm so stressed out! What if we all get sick? I can't stand this! After waiting since Nov. 04 for this trip, and to be this close, and now!

I'll check back with you guys in a while, I'm going home now!

Sandra

slg said:
Oh no, oh no, oh no!

My dh just called me at work to share with me that our middle son has a temp of 101.3. What do I do? We're leaving in 38 hours!

This is just the worst! I'm so stressed out! What if we all get sick? I can't stand this! After waiting since Nov. 04 for this trip, and to be this close, and now!

I'll check back with you guys in a while, I'm going home now!

Sandra

Sandra,
Deep breaths! Most likely this is the virus that is going around and last about 24-48 hrs. Ok, so that is cutting it close, but children tend to bounce back quicker. Keep a bottle of Purell handy and use it liberally! Have the rest of the family increase their intake of orange juice, and get some echinacea supplements. Theraflu works wonders and so does Zicam (not taken together) but depending on symptoms, if you sense a cold, take Zicam prior and it will shorten or stop it all together. If you sense it is the flu, Theraflu eases the symptoms and shortens the duration. Honest! They do work!
That said, I have been sick all weekend, so am praying fervently that dh and ds don't get this, and thankful I am getting this NOW and not in two weeks!!

Please let us know how your ds is doing! Prayers and pixie dust..

Lisa

Personally, I think it's a sign from God you aren't supposed to be going. (That way we get upgraded from our lifeboat to YOUR STATEROOMS!)

I used to have a sign in my office that read: "Cheer up! Things could be WORSE. So I Cheered up...and sure enough...things got WORSE". Comfort yourselves with that thought! :worship:

Actually I believe the FDA just approved chocolate souffle's for use in speeding recovery from almost any disease or ailment known to man. It's worth a shot!! :cool1: If not, you could always put your kid in a giant sized ziploc bag. :sick: (I'm known for my compassion and bedside manner.) If he gets to 102 SELL!!! :thumbsup2

Rule #1 - Don't sweat the small things.
Rule #2 - Everything's a small thing.

I hope you all get well REAL FAST but remember if you don't - and you decide to come on the cruise anyway - DON'T BREATHE ON ME!!!!!! :crazy2: Most people think I'm sick enough already!! :duck:

Maybe Amy (GANurse) can bring her Doc's bag! Just no needles - K?

Chris :wizard:

Just to let you know that I am actually 30 (yes incredibally old) and I am happily married...It was nice to see what movies will be playing on our cruise...Just 5 more shifts until I can start packing..You all sound like a lovely bunch of people..I agree with the advice on feeling better. Im sure as I am writing this, the temp has gone down..

Good luck@

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm????? :rolleyes1

30? Old? Our son is 30! Everytime I look at him I think to myself - "Boy, my wife is getting OLD!!" ;) Hey! Getting older sure does be the alternative!! :yoda:

Hey Nichole! Welcome back from "lurk-mode". (You've really got to learn to control yourself posting too often - - - three so far?????) :surfweb: It can become an adiction!! (Especially if you have no "life" like me according to my DW!) ;)

OK Sandra, what's the word? We all got together in the middle of the night and combined our prayers and pixiedust and sent them to you by carrier moose. (Beats the heck out of the Pony Express we've been waiting for with our @#$%^&*(*& tickets - but I digress....) Just think how therapeutic the next couple of weeks will be in recovering from both illnesses and packing! All the headaches and frustrations will be behind you and for a week at sea you will be waited on hand and foot like royalty. You indeed will deserve this trip. (I have personally planned to have a complete mental breakdown. I've worked and slaved for years to have it and nobody is going to deprive me of it! :crazy: )

Gotta run folks! Disney Dreams and Wishes to you all today!
Chris :wizard:

This board is so entertaining! I could read the banter between Chris and Wendi all day! :rotfl2: Do you do stand up on the side, Chris? I've never been on a Disney Cruise, but if there is a talent show - you'd better be first in line!

Thanks for the movie list, Amy! I am embarrassed to say that out of the 11 movies listed, I have only seen "The Chronicles of Narnia!" "The Wild" would be a good one to take DS & DD to since it is brand new. There are so many that I would love to see, but I refuse to spend my first cruise in a dark movie theatre... :confused3

Sandra, I hope your little one is getting better. The good news is that he will probably sleep through all of the boring travel time! My little guy has pink eye today. It makes you want to take every medication in your cabinet on the cruise to combat anything that comes up. :sick:

Happy packing and planning everyone! :thumbsup2

Nichole

Sending lots of :wizard: , Sandra. I hope the little one is better soon!

Thanks for the movie list, Amy! DH wanted to rent Flight Plan last week, but I convinced him to hold off since it would probably be playing on the cruise. I love going to see movies on the cruise. They're so expensive at the theater that we only see a handful every year. Since it's "free" on the cruise we tend to try more shows out and usually really enjoy them!

I can't belive your docs STILL aren't here, Chris!!! Wow! They must have sent them by air mail--probably a pigeon!

Your gram sounds so neat, Wendi! I'm sure all 2.5 tons of you are going to have a blast!

My project for the day is printing things out--I'm going to try to get all of the confirmations/directions done and stuffed in my handy travel folder. Between that and finally finishing the laundry, that should give me a good boost. I really want to pack, but I keep realizing that if I pack up all of my clothes, I'm going to have nothing to wear for the next week. Dilemma, dilemma...

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Hopefully I'll be in the middle lifeboat:

www(dot)caymanport(dot)com/webcam/dock4.jpg

Smile when you see it! :teeth:

Gotta run watch for the carrier pigeon!

Later!
Chris :banana:

Who's getting anxious!! I am!! So much to do and so little time to do it!!

Sandra-- I hope you and your son get well soon and have a wonderful time in Disneyworld!

Was there a meeting time/place decided for the DIS people on this cruise?
Sorry, I've gotten behind in keeping up with the posts on this board!

Congratulations on your FIRST DISNEY CRUISE! (Same comment to any others "first timers" posting here :lmao: ) You are about to embark upon a wonderful journey of sights and sounds - not to mention the chocolate souffles! I am as excited for you first time cruisers as I am to be going - - - - well, almost! :hyper:

Don't feel badly you haven't seen most of the movies showing. (The last movie I saw - on the History Channel - had to do with some Russian sub that sank in the Atlantic.) I believe the last first release movie I PAID to go see was "Return of the Jedi" :darth: My DW just said she thought it was "The Jazz Singer" but I'm really not THAT old - - - I think??? :confused:

Hey Sandra - ya dead??? What's the story???? Just remember not to give him a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time!

I was in a drug store yesterday and saw another customer standing in a corner stiff as a board. I asked the pharmacist what was that guy's problem. He said the guy had come in with a terrible cough and asked for something to help.

I asked him what he gave the guy? He answered "A very potent laxative" to which I responded "Why did you give him a laxative?"

He looked at me and said "Now he's too afraid to cough!"

Sounded logical to me!! :rolleyes1

Hope everyone checked out the Grand Cayman webcam! I think I see Mickey! :mickeyjum

Bye!
Chris :mickeybar

Thanks for once again helping us to put our "blessings" in perspective. I once directed a musical which had the line in it "Every man who ever lived is dead or dying now". Sometimes our mortality pops up often when we least expect it. Our faith, our family, our friends, and our blessings are the elements that truly add the REAL quality to our lives.

Life is meant to be a "one day at a time" process and is designed to be "enjoyed" not simply "endured". We here are all so very blessed - my DW and I in particular. Our prayers and thoughts will indeed be with this very special family.

God bless,
Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter