May 5th Wonder

A

aprilgail2

Well, it was a long drive down to Florida but it was worth it. We spent a total of 2 weeks there and had ONE HOUR of rain the whole trip!!! It was AWESOME! Time at the Poly was great then came the cruise.....it as just great....Only trouble was the fact that the day before I boarded I felt a cold coming on and by the first night on board it was Bronchitis. But I took some cough meds and went on my way.....
Boarding was a breeze, we got there just as they were boarding the ship, just a little past 12:15 and with in 20 minutes we were on board and having a wonderful lunch. Around 12:50 we went down to our room....WHAT A ROOM!! We had a handicapped cat. 5 room.... The verandah had a table, 4 chairs and 2 lounges on it and the walk in closet was bigger than any I have at home! The bathroom was very big too....though I was not crazy about the shower, no tub for the baby just a shower and a shower chair. I asked right away for a diaper genie and bed rails and they were there very quickly. Also in the room when we got there was a basket I had ordered for my mom from The Perfect Gift....it was awesome, Shirley does great work!!!
Our waiter was Michael and Tayfun was the assistant, they were both wonderful, as was the head Ali. They remembered what we drank and kept my daughter amused all through dinner. On castaway cay they all stopped over to say hi while we were eating at the bbq. Our cabin steward was good, but not the friendliest but he did a good job on the room and if we asked for anything it was right there. We gave him more than the minimum tip but we gave Tayfun, Michael and Ali a lot more than "suggested" for all the work they did they deserved it! A lot of people say they never see their head waiter until it comes to tip time but ours was right there every day making sure everything was all right.
Nassau was OK, I have been there before and not crazy about the place but we went to the straw market, the color changing shirt store and my daughter wanted a horse and carriage ride so we did that there too.
In Freeport we did the Lucayan beach day excursion and it was great...the pools there are wonderful and the beach is very nice also. My daughter got her hair braided there, I had mine done in Nassau.
Castaway Cay was fun, I have to admit it does freak me out to see all these big fish swimming around my legs while I am in the water though!! My daughter sat on the float pointing out all the fish swimming around us! There were little snappers and a few big, really big, angel fish swimming about and hundreds and really small fish (the size of ones in peoples small fish tanks)
My 2 year old loved the shows..we would go to dinner at 6, the show at 830 and then after that she would go dancing until she fell asleep in my arms nearly every night!
We went up to the pool one morning around 7am and my daughter played in there for a while, there were only about 5 kids in it then but that was the only time we went near the pool..there was way to much to do to be spending our time in a crowded pool! I looked around and did not see one sign about not saving chairs around the pool and there was not one word about it in the navigators. I noticed one girl about 12 years old coming down at 7am and putting shoes on 5 chairs right next to the pool then going on her way and not coming back the whole time we were in the pool! Also when we were on the Lucayan Beach excursion the pool there had floats in it (free for anyone to use), only about 10 for the whole pool. People who were there early used them and then they had the nerve to take them OUT of the pool and put them by their chairs while they ate and just relaxed in the chairs!! What nerve!! One boy went to take one that was out of the pool and some woman told him "that is ours you can't take it" I was in the pool with my daughter and I just turned around and said "they are for everyone, you can't save it!!" A few minutes later I saw the boy on one and theirs was gone so I guess they gave it up.
All the dinners were good, I liked Parrot Cay the best......the one I liked least was Tritons....Most people were dressed nice for all dinners, the only time I saw people not dressed was in Tritons....one whole family came in shorts and t shirts....not nice shorts, just like cut off jean type shorts. I could never do that myself, people were turning around looking at them!
Other than the saving chairs and floats the whole trip was really great and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I did over pack big time though and would be sure to not do this again. I was afraid the laundry room would be to crowded to use but I was there 3 times and it was empty every time! I also would not bother packing my own blow dryer, the one on the ship worked just great. I would buy the soda mug next time, its to much trouble dragging on that cooler of sodas. Also I know now not to stress about making reservations to spa, palos or flounders...I went down to the spa at 2 and made a reservation for a massage, then to Flounders and made that one and then to Palos and got everything I wanted without the mad "reservation dash".
It was a great cruise and the 8 days at Disney prior to it were great too!!!

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! My mom and I are on the June 22nd western cruise. We have a category 5 handicapped cabin 7136. I know that you cruised on the Wonder. Even though, we are on the Magic, I think the cabins are very similar. What cabin were you in? Did you have the queen bed separated into two beds? You said that you were disappointed that there wasn't any tub in the bathroom. Was the shower big? I chose a handicapped cabin because I thought the bathroom would be better for my mom. She has a tendency to fall. I thought the shower with a seat would work well for her. Was there any other things added to the bathroom to make it handicap accessible? How long of a walk was it to the aft elevators?

HockeyHeather :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
I believe in Disney magic and in Bowling Green State University hockey:)

we were 7638.....there was also a bar next to the toilet to grab to get up from the toilet and a bunch of emergancy buttons and cords to pull if you fall. There is one right on the floor by the door which my daughter found and pushed...10 seconds later the phone was ringing "This is the bridge calling, is everything ok"....
I kept the 2 beds together and slept in there with my daughter.
The "shower" is very big...it is made to roll a wheelchair right into so it is level with the floor and surrounded by a bunch of drains so the water doesn't go all over the floor of the bathroom. There is a removeable shower nozzle so if you wanted to sit in the seat and shower you could. The seat was the only thing I thought was not the cleanest....it had all the green stains from the water and was a it rusty.

Thanks for the info on the bathroom. My mom will really appreciate the bar. Hopefully, the seat in the shower on the Magic won't be stained. I also appreciated the info about the hair dryer. My mom and I are going to be gone for a month and I know the other places that we are staying will have hair dryers. I booked the cruise through AAA and we get the refillable mugs as a bonus. We are going to spend a week in the Orlando area before the cruise and stay at the Swan for a week after the cruise.

Once again, I'm glad that you had a great cruise! I hope that the rain here in Ohio isn't coming your way. It's absolutely miserable weather here today.

HockeyHeather :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
I believe in Disney magic :earsgirl:and in Bowling Green State University hockey! :)

Thank you for posting a trip report! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. Isn't the DIS great? I was happy to read on dealhunting that you saved some money!

we are going in september with our 2 year old. Do you have any words of wisdom for us?

:)
Gillian (aka lgt)

We too were on the 5/5 Wonder. We had a wonderful time. There were 15 of us total. We had three Cat. 4 rooms and the verendah was just wonderful. The only complaint we had was the Atlantis Beach Day exercusion. It was a very, very long walk to get to the beach. You disembarked the Wonder, walked to the ferry boat, walked to the hotel, and then all through the hotel to get to the beach. The lunch they provide is nice, however, the Dive In does not accept cash or any other form of payment, Atlantis key card only! Therefore you could not purchase any additional drinks or anything else for that matter.

We were lucky enough to hire a stretch limo outside of the hotel for our trip back to the Wonder. It dropped us off right in front of the boat, and when traveling with 9 children, it was a nice treat. In addition, the kids loved the ride.

Our dining servers were okay. Not what I had read about. However, one day we had lunch at Tritons and the servers we had were ABSOLUTE WONDERFUL!!!! It proved to me that these cast members do exist.

Overall our experience was a very positive one and certainly entices us to return!

aprilgail2,

Thanks for all the details about the bathroom in 7638--That is the room we have for the June 27 cruise. It is extremely helpful to know all these little details ahead of time. Especially things like where the grab bars are.

Glad you had a good trip!
pjkds

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter