May 30, 2009 - Western Cruise Magic

Yes, the taxi's do take US Dollars, very very easy!

Bibbidy - I understand how you feel. I cut my hair last month and she gave me layers when I didn't want them. We can have frizzed out hair together, you won't be alone!

For those in Brevard County, do you know how long it will take us to get from the Port to Pt. St. Lucie?

Aw thanks.
I'll show you on the ship and you'll see what I mean. Hard to imagine from what I'm saying but you know what I mean when I say she went way too far back to make bangs- right? The hair that's supposed to go to the side and be like LONGER- is part of the bangs. And I don't know what to do with that much bangs- and if I pull it over to the side, which I'm used to doing and do it by habit- then it's way too short and makes it look like she cut my bangs straight across which she did go down at an angle. It's just really short hair over there. I even tried to hairspray it (hadn't used hairspray in about 20yrs- had to buy some last night LOL) just to make it stay down and "pretend" it was long like it should be- didn't work. I seriously don't know what to do with it so I'll probably have to use a hair clip to hold it back the entire trip. ugh
I still cannot believe she royally messed my hair up- after sooooooo many years- right before a trip where my hair is hard to manage to begin with with- due to the humidity and wind. *sigh*

Well we're heading out in about 14-15hrs from now. So much to do it's ridiculous! I'm working hard but procrastinated a bit on some things. I mean I'm usually packed and ready to go a couple weeks before our cruises! So much more to prepare, pack, etc. when you're camping for a week (and eating at your trailer most of the time)/etc. I heard it's really raining a LOT at WDW lately... so I gotta get ready for lots of mud in the trailer. LOL CAN'T forget to pack the mop. LOL

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys!
Good news!
Okay it's a really really long story -which I can tell you about on the ship if you want LOL but basically Rita was misdiagnosed about those sores on her head and swollen lymph nodes- and the bactroban ointment I was having to put on 3x a day was just making things worse. I took her to a dermatologist on Wed and he told me to stop the bactroban ointment, keep using the ketonazole shampoo (which I self-diagnosed with and started using to wash her hair on Saturday when things weren't getting better- and it seemed to be helping overnight but then applying the ointment during the day kept making things worse) and keep using the antibiotics since it's helping her lymph nodes go down on her head/neck.
And overnight- they are practically completely gone!!!! I mean almost completely healed, look great and almost can't find them anymore- her scalp is almost cleared up overnight! It was NOT folliculitis -and she'd have lost hair by now if it was (and fortunately she hasn't lost a strand of hair). It was just kinda like an exzema/skin irritation type thing -although the dermatologist did say it was unusual to be on the scalp instead of elsewhere and unusual for such a young child with no other known skin issues/allergies. But clearly he was right since using this shampoo (that I decided to use on my own btw LOL) is helping and since not using the bactroban ointment has it almost healed already overnight! (it's actually quite incredible how much better it looks over just one night!)
(ps. I had the ketonazole shampoo already because in 2006, according to the bottle's RX label LOL, I had a dry scalp issue... it's kinda like shampoo for cradle cap or issues like that, I didn't have cradle cap but something like it in one spot like where my bangs are- I thought it was dandruff but it wouldn't go away with dandruff shampoo. Anyway I had it already and on a hunch just thought it couldn't hurt to try it- and I'm glad I was right! I had a feeling I was since using it and overnight it would look better- then it would get worse as the day went on with me applying that ointment 3x a day. I'm so glad I didn't throw that shampoo away years ago LOL)

So basically it wasn't nearly as serious as follicutis... and the ointment was just exacerbating the issue... it's almost completely healed now and I'm so excited! I mean it wasn't just the pain in the butt of washing her hair 3x a day and putting the ointment on- but also during the day after putting ointment on she'd complain it itched, it would hurt to the touch or if she brushed her hair or if anyone touched her hair at alll (in those areas) and now nothing- no itching, no hurting and it's almost healed overnight by avoiding that ointment!

woohoo! :woohoo:

Aw thanks.
I'll show you on the ship and you'll see what I mean. Hard to imagine from what I'm saying but you know what I mean when I say she went way too far back to make bangs- right? The hair that's supposed to go to the side and be like LONGER- is part of the bangs. And I don't know what to do with that much bangs- and if I pull it over to the side, which I'm used to doing and do it by habit- then it's way too short and makes it look like she cut my bangs straight across which she did go down at an angle. It's just really short hair over there. I even tried to hairspray it (hadn't used hairspray in about 20yrs- had to buy some last night LOL) just to make it stay down and "pretend" it was long like it should be- didn't work. I seriously don't know what to do with it so I'll probably have to use a hair clip to hold it back the entire trip. ugh
I still cannot believe she royally messed my hair up- after sooooooo many years- right before a trip where my hair is hard to manage to begin with with- due to the humidity and wind. *sigh*
LOL

I can pretend as long as you pretend mine is nice a poofy instead of stuck flat to my head because of the humidity. I'm sure you'll look beautiful. Sometimes it take adjusting to get used to it and you have a few days yet. Hopefully you'll make it work and you'll look fabulous and remember, we don't know what it looked like before, so it will be easy.

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys!
Good news!
Okay it's a really really long story -which I can tell you about on the ship if you want LOL but basically Rita was misdiagnosed about those sores on her head and swollen lymph nodes- and the bactroban ointment I was having to put on 3x a day was just making things worse. I took her to a dermatologist on Wed and he told me to stop the bactroban ointment, keep using the ketonazole shampoo (which I self-diagnosed with and started using to wash her hair on Saturday when things weren't getting better- and it seemed to be helping overnight but then applying the ointment during the day kept making things worse) and keep using the antibiotics since it's helping her lymph nodes go down on her head/neck.
And overnight- they are practically completely gone!!!! I mean almost completely healed, look great and almost can't find them anymore- her scalp is almost cleared up overnight! It was NOT folliculitis -and she'd have lost hair by now if it was (and fortunately she hasn't lost a strand of hair). It was just kinda like an exzema/skin irritation type thing -although the dermatologist did say it was unusual to be on the scalp instead of elsewhere and unusual for such a young child with no other known skin issues/allergies. But clearly he was right since using this shampoo (that I decided to use on my own btw LOL) is helping and since not using the bactroban ointment has it almost healed already overnight! (it's actually quite incredible how much better it looks over just one night!)
(ps. I had the ketonazole shampoo already because in 2006, according to the bottle's RX label LOL, I had a dry scalp issue... it's kinda like shampoo for cradle cap or issues like that, I didn't have cradle cap but something like it in one spot like where my bangs are- I thought it was dandruff but it wouldn't go away with dandruff shampoo. Anyway I had it already and on a hunch just thought it couldn't hurt to try it- and I'm glad I was right! I had a feeling I was since using it and overnight it would look better- then it would get worse as the day went on with me applying that ointment 3x a day. I'm so glad I didn't throw that shampoo away years ago LOL)

So basically it wasn't nearly as serious as follicutis... and the ointment was just exacerbating the issue... it's almost completely healed now and I'm so excited! I mean it wasn't just the pain in the butt of washing her hair 3x a day and putting the ointment on- but also during the day after putting ointment on she'd complain it itched, it would hurt to the touch or if she brushed her hair or if anyone touched her hair at alll (in those areas) and now nothing- no itching, no hurting and it's almost healed overnight by avoiding that ointment!

woohoo! :woohoo:

I'm so glad she is doing better and sorry about the misdiagnosis. Glad you followed your motherly instincts too!

I have a couple of questions for you veterans since this is only our 2nd cruise and our 1st 7day.

Am I able to bring a case of water onboard? If I can, can it be checked or what are the details or bringing it onboard. I'm guessing Bruce knows this since he did this last time, but others may know too and it would help me figure this one out.

Do teens need to register for the stack or is it just open without registration? If we need to register, is it best to register before (or even can you) or should be plan on doing this at the port?

In the Stack - is there a charge for soft drinks? I know they have smoothie times and they are free, but wondering about other times and other beverages?

Laundry Tip: Not sure if anyone else is planning on doing laundry while you are onboard, but I just saw that Purex just came out with washer sheets with built in fabric softener. Now I'm on a hunt to find these as it would be super easy, rather than liquid or powder.

Karen

I'm wondering the same w/ regards to the signups for the Stack. So, does anyone know?

My DSIS wants to know if booze is purchased in the Duty Free Shop on board, are you free to take it back to your room and consume it??

TIA:thumbsup2

Not sure about signing up in the stack, but I do know that if you buy the booze on the ship in the store, then you cannot consume it onboard. But there is nothing against buying alcohol at the ports and bringing it on the ship and consuming it.

Aw thanks.
LOL

Hey Bibbidy-
Have you thought about a headband? I will also be part of the bad hair group on the ship. I got my haircut a couple of months ago and GOT BUTCHERED! My hair normally grows fast, but is not growing fast enough for me. I was hoping it would look better before the cruise, but..... you know what I mean....:sad2:

Anyway, I discovered these headbands when I was training for the Princess Half Marathon at WDW last March. They come in all kinds of colors and patterns and fit my head well, and they are comfortable.

Here's the link in case you are interested...http://www.bondiband.com/

-Donna

Hey guys, just got an email from my TA that said she had gotten word from Disney that we would be going to Cozumel!!!

Just thought I would pass the info along.

Kayla

:yay:great! this is our first cruise but DH and i have tried to go to Cozumel (while in Cancun) twice before and due to weather couldn't.
Looks like 3rd try is a charm.:dance3: i am so looking forward to doing the clear kayaks!
THIS IS OUR FIRST CRUISE AND I AM SOOOO EXCITED. Still hoping for pixie dust at the terminal since it is also for our anniversary.:wizard:

Our DHprincess: is 7 and really looking forward to the kids activities - she will be the skinny girl that is nothing but red hair and legs. lol
Our DSpirate: is almost 12 and looking forward to vacation but not as much a disney extremist as i am so he is still reserving his opinion until he gets there.
9 days and counting.......i better get packing.:eek

I have a couple of questions for you veterans since this is only our 2nd cruise and our 1st 7day.

Am I able to bring a case of water onboard? If I can, can it be checked or what are the details or bringing it onboard. I'm guessing Bruce knows this since he did this last time, but others may know too and it would help me figure this one out.

Do teens need to register for the stack or is it just open without registration? If we need to register, is it best to register before (or even can you) or should be plan on doing this at the port?

In the Stack - is there a charge for soft drinks? I know they have smoothie times and they are free, but wondering about other times and other beverages?

Laundry Tip: Not sure if anyone else is planning on doing laundry while you are onboard, but I just saw that Purex just came out with washer sheets with built in fabric softener. Now I'm on a hunt to find these as it would be super easy, rather than liquid or powder.

Karen
hmm, if you find those sheets please post where- I might be able to get online and see your post while at FW and buy them before I have to wash clothes! Man that would be nice to have! LOL

Stack- there are no drinks in the stack. I asked DD15 to confirm- she said the only time they gave drinks was the smoothie nights- any other drinks were just ones people brought with them (from self-serve station/etc.)

You don't have to register online or otherwise for stack- the teens do need to (atleast it's recommended) go to the stack on the first evening to get to know people right away plus they sorta "make" the schedule or atleast choose things they want to do and such. You'd probably want your teen(s) to be a part of that and have their voice known so they can try to get to do things they want to do. :) You can't register them online or at the port- that's only for club/lab ages. They are supposed to have a list of those kids that are the ages that could be in the stack though.

you can bring a case of water onboard- but you have to carry it. They will no longer let you check it with the porters- so you can carry it by itself or you can put it in a carryon or in a soft sided cooler (no ice ofcourse) and then you have to carry it around with you until your room is ready. They can't let you check it with the porter because it will be totally damaged (plus damaging other people's luggage) They are REALLY REALLY rough on the luggage- let me tell you. we're talking tossing like crazy and stacking clear up to the ceilings. Luggage gets pretty crushed, broken wheels and legs off them, etc. Water can't take that. (or any liquids for that matter- none should be in luggage including alcohol. Other people's luggage and their clothing has been drenched because of this in the past. :( )

Not sure about signing up in the stack, but I do know that if you buy the booze on the ship in the store, then you cannot consume it onboard. But there is nothing against buying alcohol at the ports and bringing it on the ship and consuming it.
I can confirm this- we've bought alcohol at ports and walked right on with it. :)

Hey Bibbidy-
Have you thought about a headband? I will also be part of the bad hair group on the ship. I got my haircut a couple of months ago and GOT BUTCHERED! My hair normally grows fast, but is not growing fast enough for me. I was hoping it would look better before the cruise, but..... you know what I mean....:sad2:

Anyway, I discovered these headbands when I was training for the Princess Half Marathon at WDW last March. They come in all kinds of colors and patterns and fit my head well, and they are comfortable.

Here's the link in case you are interested...http://www.bondiband.com/

-Donna
I hadn't thought about a headband because honestly the bangs are too short to be pulled back in a headband plus I've never had good luck with those things. I think it's because my head is big? (hey my kids got their big heads from me, I admit it LOL) But those look like they might work- they aren't just a strip type headband and cover more area of the "bangs" part of the head. Unfortunately we leave in a FEW HOURS (omg! still have stuff to do! LOL Just taking a tiny break hehe) so i can't order those. :( But I may have to hit some stores once we get in Florida and see if I can find something like that! I was thinking I may have to wear my DIS visor the entire time- if I can find it! I wore it to six flags over a week ago and now I can't find it! argh!

Hey guys, just got an email from my TA that said she had gotten word from Disney that we would be going to Cozumel!!!

Kayla
What wonderful news!

:yay:great! this is our first cruise but DH and i have tried to go to Cozumel (while in Cancun) twice before and due to weather couldn't.
Looks like 3rd try is a charm.:dance3: i am so looking forward to doing the clear kayaks!
THIS IS OUR FIRST CRUISE AND I AM SOOOO EXCITED. Still hoping for pixie dust at the terminal since it is also for our anniversary.:wizard:

Our DHprincess: is 7 and really looking forward to the kids activities - she will be the skinny girl that is nothing but red hair and legs. lol
Our DSpirate: is almost 12 and looking forward to vacation but not as much a disney extremist as i am so he is still reserving his opinion until he gets there.
9 days and counting.......i better get packing.:eek
Your DS sounds like mine... he BARELY tolerates it when I FORCE him to wear Disney shirts and stuff like that. LOL He loves the cruises though- he's just "too big" for Disney stuff like that. (he's 11.5yrs old- maybe it's the age LOL)

homespun I clicked to quote your post too but it didn't "take" for some reason. LOL
Aw you're very sweet... but you'll see... it's totally butchered and I still can't figure out what to do with it besides clip the bangs back. I need all the help I can get in the "looks" dept so it sure would have been nice to atleast have my HAIR looking like I wanted it to... like it usually is... I finally lost weight and wanted to have some cruise pictures where I didn't look like a beached whale but forget it now! stupid haircut. :(

I don't understand their methods at all, but it sure doesn't appear that our ship is full yet!! Thanks for the info about liquor at the ports...it's just so much cheaper at the duty free shops than purchasing any here in the U.S. prior to our cruise and bringing it with us, so we were hoping that since Disney allows you to hand carry liquor onboard, that they would also allow any on-board purchases to be consummed while on the cruise as well...guess we will just be safe and bring it with us.

WOO HOO one more week!!!!:dance3::cool1::banana:

Yes, the taxi's do take US Dollars, very very easy!

Bibbidy - I understand how you feel. I cut my hair last month and she gave me layers when I didn't want them. We can have frizzed out hair together, you won't be alone!

For those in Brevard County, do you know how long it will take us to get from the Port to Pt. St. Lucie?

Living on the southern end of Brevard, and having driven to Ft. Pierce several times, from the port to Port St. Lucie I would say at least one hour and up to 1 1/2 hours with traffic and/or construction. From the port to Palm Bay, I-95 is under heavy construction with reduced speed limits. Watch your speed in these zones as fines are doubled.

Living on the southern end of Brevard, and having driven to Ft. Pierce several times, from the port to Port St. Lucie I would say at least one hour and up to 1 1/2 hours with traffic and/or construction. From the port to Palm Bay, I-95 is under heavy construction with reduced speed limits. Watch your speed in these zones as fines are doubled.

I have no idea where Port St. Lucie is but we are driving down to the Port the day before (from NC) so will be taking I-95, should we be worried about all that construction going on or is that I-95 south of the port???

I bought these for the cruise at Target a few days age .. they are $5.99 for a box of 20 at our store. They were on an end of aisle near regular detergent since they're a new product. My friend said they are similar to ones you get at campground stores while camping but the camping ones were much pricer.

Am I able to bring a case of water onboard? If I can, can it be checked or what are the details or bringing it onboard.

Karen

You can bring a case of water on board. In the past, you could check it with your luggage. However, current policies require that it goes thru the airport type scanner with your carry on luggage.

Teens "sign up" for The Stack in a very loose fashion. The CM up there will have a list of age appropriate kids (not always complete). They ask that you find your name on the list and put a check mark by it on the first day. If your name isn't there, you write in your name and cabin number.

If you get any beverages at The Stack during any time except "Smoothie Hour," there is the same charge as any bar item at any time (even the tip). However....The Stack is 10. We tell the kids to go to the beverage station on 9 to get their stuff. I think in all our cruises, DD has charged 2 smoothies in The Stack. Frankly, if she charged a coke because she was too lazy to get it from 9, I'd be unhappy. They go as a "gang" to the beverage station and bring it back to The Stack.

I bought these for the cruise at Target a few days age .. they are $5.99 for a box of 20 at our store. They were on an end of aisle near regular detergent since they're a new product. My friend said they are similar to ones you get at campground stores while camping but the camping ones were much pricer.
Do they come in unscented? If not I may have to get the Dropps I saw at Target instead!

Kayla

YEAH!!! I've been wanted to get to Mexico my entire life and we're finally going and I'm getting to swim with the dolphins too--what a great day that is going to be.

hmm, if you find those sheets please post where- I might be able to get online and see your post while at FW and buy them before I have to wash clothes! Man that would be nice to have! LOL

Stack- there are no drinks in the stack. I asked DD15 to confirm- she said the only time they gave drinks was the smoothie nights- any other drinks were just ones people brought with them (from self-serve station/etc.)

You don't have to register online or otherwise for stack- the teens do need to (atleast it's recommended) go to the stack on the first evening to get to know people right away plus they sorta "make" the schedule or atleast choose things they want to do and such. You'd probably want your teen(s) to be a part of that and have their voice known so they can try to get to do things they want to do. :) You can't register them online or at the port- that's only for club/lab ages. They are supposed to have a list of those kids that are the ages that could be in the stack though.

you can bring a case of water onboard- but you have to carry it. They will no longer let you check it with the porters- so you can carry it by itself or you can put it in a carryon or in a soft sided cooler (no ice ofcourse) and then you have to carry it around with you until your room is ready. They can't let you check it with the porter because it will be totally damaged (plus damaging other people's luggage) They are REALLY REALLY rough on the luggage- let me tell you. we're talking tossing like crazy and stacking clear up to the ceilings. Luggage gets pretty crushed, broken wheels and legs off them, etc. Water can't take that. (or any liquids for that matter- none should be in luggage including alcohol. Other people's luggage and their clothing has been drenched because of this in the past.

Thanks for all the great info. For some reason my Passporter (not the newest one) shows a photo of a bar in the stack and mentions drinks are available--maybe they changed things since publishing. Glad I asked. Thanks for the info on sign up too. DS keeps asking me why everything is so late at night, and I just laugh and tell him that teens like to stay up late and sleep in (right now he's an early riser and enjoys staying up late, but they normally don't go together, so we'll see what happens)

I think we will bring water, but will figure out a way to rig it to our carry on unless DH has a fold up cart I don't know about--We'll be a real site I'm sure.

As far as the washer/dryer sheets go to the purex.com website and and look around there. There are listings of what stores carry it and even a coupon for $1 off. I called my local Jewel and they already have it on the shelf. They also have a special display to put out, but he said he couldn't do it Memorial Day Weekend because he needs to display baked beans and stuff like that (that made me laugh). These sheets will be great for traveling and make life so much easier. Hope you can find them in your area. If not, let me know and I can bring a few extras with and share them.

You can bring a case of water on board. In the past, you could check it with your luggage. However, current policies require that it goes thru the airport type scanner with your carry on luggage.

Teens "sign up" for The Stack in a very loose fashion. The CM up there will have a list of age appropriate kids (not always complete). They ask that you find your name on the list and put a check mark by it on the first day. If your name isn't there, you write in your name and cabin number.

If you get any beverages at The Stack during any time except "Smoothie Hour," there is the same charge as any bar item at any time (even the tip). However....The Stack is 10. We tell the kids to go to the beverage station on 9 to get their stuff. I think in all our cruises, DD has charged 2 smoothies in The Stack. Frankly, if she charged a coke because she was too lazy to get it from 9, I'd be unhappy. They go as a "gang" to the beverage station and bring it back to The Stack.

Guess DS will be going to Deck 9 and then back to 10--no sense in paying for soft drinks when you can get them for free a flight down. I think the free smoothie hour would be fun, hopefully he'll want to go to that. I gave him charging privileges and he'll be careful or he'll be cut off - LOL. They just had a health fair day at school and they were given a sheet listing soft drinks and their sugar content and ratings of which are good choices and he seems genuinely interested in it. But when you're on vacation, sometimes the best plans to eat and drink right go out the window.

Have a great day and thanks so much for the info.

I have no idea where Port St. Lucie is but we are driving down to the Port the day before (from NC) so will be taking I-95, should we be worried about all that construction going on or is that I-95 south of the port???

Are you from NC?

We're driving down to WDW on Wednesday to spend a couple of days at the parks. We'll be driving from WDW to the port on Saturday. I can't believe our vacation is almost here!:banana:

OK, I have to ask you guys since you will be the ones seeing us on the boat. We are first time cruisers and don't want to offend too many people (only a few):rotfl:. Is it OK for DS (4 years old) to wear nice shorts with a button down shirt to dinner? I know it says NO shorts, but he has outgrown all his long pants and I hate to go buy a pair that he will outgrow again before fall. DS would actually like to wear his tuxedo every night that we bought him for formal night. He would surely stand out then!!:rotfl2:

Also, DH wants to wear jeans to dinner. He works in an office atmosphere were they get to wear jeans to work everyday and he is complaining that he is on vacation and doesn't want to have to "dress up". Are jeans acceptable attire as long as they aren't full of holes?

Also, is it chilly in the dining rooms enough we should bring light jackets for the kids to put on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter