• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 30, 2009 - Western Cruise Magic

Here are potentially weird questions for you experienced cruisers....

Have you ever heard of people bringing a blender on board? If they have, are there 3-pronged outlets in the rooms to accommodate small appliances? Are small appliances strictly forbidden?

Now for those of you imagining margarita's in our cabin...:rolleyes1... this is a FAMILY cruise..... Just because I am known for having margarita's as my favorite cocktail, is merely a coincidence, I assure you.:rolleyes1

But seriously, I am on a special vegetarian diet, that involves certain smoothies, and I am debating whether or not to try to continue these drinks in some fashion while on the ship. I just don't know if it's feasible. I also don't know how I will manage a vegetarian diet while on the cruise, and what type of options I will be offered. Does anyone have experience with that as well?

Thanks, Donna
I have heard of people bringing little portable blenders on the cruise all the time!
I was thinking about bringing my magic bullet- but it only has 2 prongs- I don't know if a larger blender or with 3 prongs would work?

I think eating vegetarian while on the cruise should be pretty easy to do. Buffets will easily be doable and at dinner you can just ask for the veggies and omit the meat portion of the entree. The only thing is that I've heard recently that they are not allowing people to omit the SAUCE on the meats and that they pre-plate things.... so you'd need to make sure they aren't like putting the veggies on a new plate after they've got some meat juice/sauce on them from the pre-plate? I imagine they have a lot of people who are vegetarians though and handle that easily all the time. I don't think you need to be concerned about that at all- just my opinion. :)

I am so excited, we get to surprise the girls with their cruise in 2 days. I might cave in and let them open their gifts tomorrow night!

Wow, that will be an awesome surprise.

Two weeks to go. I hope we can join everyone for pre cruise dinner but we may not be able to confirm our plans in time to do it.

Five of us are doing a Nativeway excursion at Grand Cayman (thanks Suzepooh)! Little ones will stay on the ship.

I guess if we end up going to Nassau my gang will just stay on the ship. We have done Atlantis before and they liked it but they don't want to do it again and ugh I just don't like that port so I hope Cozumel comes through.

Here are potentially weird questions for you experienced cruisers....

Have you ever heard of people bringing a blender on board? If they have, are there 3-pronged outlets in the rooms to accommodate small appliances? Are small appliances strictly forbidden?

Now for those of you imagining margarita's in our cabin...:rolleyes1... this is a FAMILY cruise..... Just because I am known for having margarita's as my favorite cocktail, is merely a coincidence, I assure you.:rolleyes1

But seriously, I am on a special vegetarian diet, that involves certain smoothies, and I am debating whether or not to try to continue these drinks in some fashion while on the ship. I just don't know if it's feasible. I also don't know how I will manage a vegetarian diet while on the cruise, and what type of options I will be offered. Does anyone have experience with that as well?

Thanks, Donna

My oldest son (17 years old now) turned himself vegetarian about 12 months ago. We were on the 2 week Panama Canal crossing last summer when he was 16. I had no idea what to expect for food options, but he was very happy with the food choices. He had at least 2 options at every meal and we always asked the waiters what they recommended. Sometimes they brought him both just to give it a try.

You should be just fine! :)

Does anyone know if there are 3-prong outlets? My blender is pretty powerful...

There are several vegetarian selections available at each meal. In addition, if you are unhappy with what is on the menu, talk with your head server--they will prepare something special for you with one day notice. There is NO problem with "omitting meat sauce" as a vegetarian diet is one of the more common "special diets" on DCL and they know how to do it. If you request only the veggies from one of the regular selections, you might have an issue. If you order from the vegetarian selections anywhere (menus, buffet, Goofy's Galley, etc.) you will not have any problem.

THe outlets are 3 prong at the desk. This is the only "normal" outlet and the one we use for our extension cord/multi-plug. It is the only one that will charge cell phones, i-pods, computers, etc. The ones in the bathroom are some odd current that won't charge a cell and will only run an electric razor.

Small appliances are NOT forbidden at all. The only thing that is forbidden is irons because they supposedly pose a fire hazard (I just don't understand how that differs from curling irons or cigarettes....) OK, I'll be good now....Yes, I know that cigarettes are supposed to be limited to the balcony. Sorry--DD scorched my living room rug with a curling iron (and yes, I told her to keep that thing in the bathroom!)

NEW THRIFTY CAR CODE: Just out today...code 9FLMV dropped the rate of a mini van to $39.99 per day. It knocked $11 off my return rental and $20 off my getting to port rental! This is new since yesterday, and definitely put Thrifty as cheaper than the others...in addition, they had unlimited free mileage and Avis had 125 miles free.

NEW THRIFTY CAR CODE: Just out today...code 9FLMV dropped the rate of a mini van to $39.99 per day. It knocked $11 off my return rental and $20 off my getting to port rental! This is new since yesterday, and definitely put Thrifty as cheaper than the others...in addition, they had unlimited free mileage and Avis had 125 miles free.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. This saved me a lot of money. I had an SUV reserved for a $100 more at Budget. Does Thrifty pick you up at the Port?

THANK YOU!:thumbsup2
I just rebooked and saved $140 on our rentals!:banana::banana::banana:
Doing the happy dance!

Breaking news... Travel Health Warning for H1N1 removed!

Both The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. State Department have removed their health warnings for travel to Mexico.

CHANTING.....COZUMEL HERE WE COME!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

We surprised the girls today after dinner. They opened up and saw the sand and then they saw the scrabble tile I put on top. They had already opened the swimsuits and the flip flops. I told them to dig in the sand to see what was in there and they got out all the tiles. It took them a little while and they wanted clues to what it spells out and I said no. All the sudden Amanda got this look on her face and a big smile and she looked at me, I told her to spell it out so she grabbed all the tiles and spelled out Disney Cruise. Both their jaws dropped and they were so excited They keep saying this is the best birthday ever and we are getting lots of hugs and I think they still don't believe it! I had to show them the luggage tags with their names on it to get them to believe it and then they jumped up and down and screeched, along with more hugs.

We surprised the girls today after dinner. They opened up and saw the sand and then they saw the scrabble tile I put on top. They had already opened the swimsuits and the flip flops. I told them to dig in the sand to see what was in there and they got out all the tiles. It took them a little while and they wanted clues to what it spells out and I said no. All the sudden Amanda got this look on her face and a big smile and she looked at me, I told her to spell it out so she grabbed all the tiles and spelled out Disney Cruise. Both their jaws dropped and they were so excited They keep saying this is the best birthday ever and we are getting lots of hugs and I think they still don't believe it! I had to show them the luggage tags with their names on it to get them to believe it and then they jumped up and down and screeched, along with more hugs.

Super thumbs up to you all!!!

Happy birthday girls and I can't wait to meet you!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Check it out...travel restrictions to Mexico lifted.
Maybe we will get to go to Cozumel after all!
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/content/travel-health-precaution/novel-h1n1-flu-mexico.aspx

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS YET!!! I see that the ALERT for the May 16 cruise is gone from the DCL website. Wondering if they will go to Cozumel or stick with Bahamas. It will be interesting to see what happens.

That sounds just priceless. I'm surprised you were able to keep it a secret, I don't think I could have. It's so great and I'm so excited for all of you. Looking forward to meeting you all in just a few short days--it's not even weeks anymore :)

Does anyone know if there are 3-prong outlets? My blender is pretty powerful...

You can get one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters and bring it with, that way you can plug it in where ever you want. The hardware stores and even grocery stores usually carry them :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This saved me a lot of money. I had an SUV reserved for a $100 more at Budget. Does Thrifty pick you up at the Port?

Yes, Thrifty does pick up at the port and is on site at MCO.

And...inventory control must be up to something...yesterday, only cat 4 was available....then 4 cat 5 rooms and 8 cat 4 rooms showed. Now, only 3 cat 5 rooms.....

Carolyn/Bruce - My DD, Emily, emailed Victoria this morning. Hopefully she gets it. My DDs are very excited about emailing people before they get on the cruise and getting to know their friends.

Anyone else who wants to have an email buddies before the cruise, pm me and my DDs(12) will write them.

Can some on give me some info on Cozumel. Is it easy just to walk around town when we get there? Is it easy to get to the beach? Do we really have to pay to get to the beach? Are the excursions listed on the Disney site worth it?

I have 2 DD that will do some walking but will not be happy if I drag them to an all day hike looking at ruins (what I want to do)

HELP

You can do just about ANYTHING in Cozumel....from hiring a taxi for the entire day to take you all around the island (an AWESOME day)....to taking a taxi to a FREE beach to snorkel (Dzul ha or playa corona, etc.)....to booking an excursion (MUCH CHEAPER THAN THROUGH DISNEY) to shopping until you drop within walking distance of the downtown pier where we SHOULD be docked.....to some really awesome Mexican food if you venture OFF the main downtown square and avoid the franchise places...the people of Cozumel are genuinely nice and you will enjoy your day whatever you choose to do! :dance3::yay::cheer2:

Can some on give me some info on Cozumel. Is it easy just to walk around town when we get there? Is it easy to get to the beach? Do we really have to pay to get to the beach? Are the excursions listed on the Disney site worth it?

I have 2 DD that will do some walking but will not be happy if I drag them to an all day hike looking at ruins (what I want to do)

HELP
We are taking a taxi on our own and going to Mr. Sanchos Beach. We will hang out at the beach, eat lunch and go horseback riding. Shopping is very close by and an easy walk, but I am not sure if there is any beaches within walking distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter