May 29th Eastern...just the Basics

Mickeylover

Mouseketeer
Don't have time for a day by day account (don't remember some stuff, but I'll hit the basics)

Things to know:

Concierge will snap up a lot of the Palo ressies, they were nearly gone and we were one of the first in line...that being said, we had dinner and brunch ressies (I missed my brunch ressie and they rescheduled me without a problem, but I missed that one too!)

Didn't do the spa at all this time. DH did go work out--said it was miserably hot in there.

They went and changed the dances on me for the Sail-Away...the Cha-cha slide is still there, but not some of the other ones.

I love sea days (wasn't sure I would, but they were awesome!)

Servers were very good--Pirom was only in his second week and he warmed up as the week went on. The assistant server, Ella, was fabulous! Z-man is as smooth as they come! Our room steward, Severine was very sweet and a creative towel animal maker.

Secret Porthole rooms are worth the money, really!

Shutters takes better pictures than total strangers who borrow your camera, but its a bear finding 6x8 frames! ;)

There's an outdoor bar on the beach at port in St. Maarten--enjoyed sitting there drinking $2 beer and watching the world go by!

St. Maarten/Martin certainly seemed more poor, but I found folks to be far pushier in St. Thomas in the shops/market.

You can barter in St. Maarten and St. Thomas--the tanzanite bracelet DH bought me ranged in price--once I negotiated it--from $600 to $350--obviously bought it at the low end. DH got a "free" beer while I shopped--one of the more expensive beers he's ever bought!

Lotterie Farms Hidden Forest tour is definately a physical excursion...you really do hike up the mountain into the rain forest. In hindsight, maybe lazing around in a beach chair was a better choice, but the view was fantastic (and so was lunch!) Would not do again, but if you're not really a "beach" person, its a good, and different option and includes a bus ride all over the island.

Five-star snorkel in St. John was fabulous! Great crew, great snorkeling...but tough on little ones. DS (8) was worn out half way through and I took him out of the water after he swallowed a mouthful. Better for strong swimmers and more relaxing if you're not worrying about where your kids are.

Parasailing at CC is Way Cool! DS (8) and I went up tandem. Even my dad, who is 60 had a blast.

The weather was excellent--the best that Rachel, our cruise director, has seen in 6 years--waves were never more than 1-3 feet, and no rain (during the day). Actually, we often didn't feel like we were on a ship--and no post cruise rocking!

The Mariner of the Seas (RCCL's mega ship) was in port with us at St. Thomas. That baby is HUGE--it totally dwarfs the Magic!

My DSS (14) loved the Stack, and had a blast. We let him stay out until 2PM most nights--except for that darn St. Thomas immigration morning!

DS (8) enjoyed the Lab, but he had check out priveleges and if he got bored, he was quick to leave--that prevented him from making as many friends, I think.

I have to admit that many times on the ship, people would ask us where our kids were and we would honestly answer that we had no idea. ;)

Not many night owls on this cruise (not a big surprise I guess) we ended up dancing with the 18 year olds after midnight because everyone else went to bed. (I feel bad for the 18-20 group on this cruise.)

Didn't buy a soda mug, didn't need one. DH hated lugging his beer mug around and later in the week, he just paid extra to avoid carrying it.

Our kids ate without us the night we had dinner at Palo...they got dressed, went to dinner on their own, and had a fine time. The servers are great about that!

DIS Boards people are wonderful--and we met quite a few of them. DO NOT MISS the British Pub Night on the last night of the cruise--tchrmom, XLT800, Quirky Cruiser, their friends Homer and Diane(?) and DH and I laughed until our sides hurt!

Oh, and by the way, we went to the Castaway Club reception and chatted with the CFO for the ship...he says that they DO read the DIS Boards pretty often--sometimes to laught at the crazy rumours we come up with, but mostly to get a feel for what we think....good to know they listen! :D

Thx for the report! I love the ChaCha slide!!!

DIS Boards people are wonderful--and we met quite a few of them. DO NOT MISS the British Pub Night on the last night of the cruise--tchrmom, XLT800, Quirky Cruiser, their friends Homer and Diane(?) and DH and I laughed until our sides hurt! "

Please tell me what happens! DH and I waited for the show to start and about 20minutes later we were still listening to the crowd sing "the Piano Man". We got a page from the kids club and just left. We were just so tired by the last night anyway. Next time I hope we can stay with it!

youve posted my kind of trip report...how some folks on this board can chronicle every minute of every day of their cruise and think it would be scintillating reading is beyond me... well done!!!

How were the 60s, 70s and 80s nights? They used to be the highlight of my cruise! Are they still fun?

OK...

British Pub Night: I will not ruin it for you, but consider it Monty Python type humour and you'll get the drift. Once you've suffered through the group singing, its worth the laughs ;)

Theme nights:

Like I said before, this was a very early to bed crowd--DH and I were dancing with kids that he's old enough to have fathered, I wouldn't say this was a party crowd--but it is Disney after all--if I want to stay out dancing until 3AM, I probably need to cruise RCCL.

That being said, the 60s night was Beatles themed, you realize how many awesome songs the Beatles had)

80s night (to me at least) was the most fun--you can actually dance to the music but maybe that's because I danced to that music when it came out the first time. DH got a pin for answering 80s trivia correctly (they whisper the answer to you--he's a 70s child!)

70s night--again, OK. They just didn't choose the music you can dance to--and I attribute that to the band. (the male lead was there early on and disappeared halfway through the cruise--he was pretty good. The female lead was the cutest size 2 on the earth but not impressive as a singer.) The bass player and lead guitarist held that band together.

alexandrew: Thanks for the feedback--I just don't have the attention span anymore to write (or read) multi-day trip reports not to mention the memory! ;)

Mickeylover.....................You did a great job....I'll just consider this cruise well reported on!

Now......why don't you guys try and figure out a way to go with us on our 10/23 cruise??

Come on....it's only money, and you can't take it with you!!!!!

We'll sit around the pool again, and watch your husband....and C
Chip!

Fran

Fran, I wish we could go in October...but its not in the stars this time around--we had a blast with you guys. Anyone going on one of these cruises should use the Cruise Meets boards to get to know your fellow cruisers beforehand.

We had a great time with everyone!

PS, please say "hi" to Chip--I strongly suggest you have Dave push him in the pool so you can watch! LOL!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter