• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 28, 2011 - 11 Night Mediterranean Sailing from Barcelona

Hi! I have read in the internet that 2 June 2011 is a public holiday of Italy (ie. Festa della Repubblica).
A parade will be held at 10am from Colisseum to Piazza Venezia. Various tourist attraction including Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine will be open at 1:30 pm the earliest. I join the DCL port adventire "Rome on your own" and I supppose we will leave Rome at around 4pm (since we will on board by 6pm). I wonder if I still get sufficient time to visit Colisseum. What is your opinion?
:):)

Hi everyone,

I was told by Disney that these are the days when formal, semi-formal and pirate nights are. Start packing.

Night 2: Formal Night (Sea Day)
Nights 7 and 10: Semi-formal Nights (Sea Day then Villenfranche, France)
Night 8: Pirate Night (La Spezia, Italy)pirate:

Hope this helps,
Jason Stedry

Hi Jason! I do remember that Scott had said this was the schedule. I guess we'll find out soon :thumbsup2

Hi! I have read in the internet that 2 June 2011 is a public holiday of Italy (ie. Festa della Repubblica).
A parade will be held at 10am from Colisseum to Piazza Venezia. Various tourist attraction including Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine will be open at 1:30 pm the earliest. I join the DCL port adventire "Rome on your own" and I supppose we will leave Rome at around 4pm (since we will on board by 6pm). I wonder if I still get sufficient time to visit Colisseum. What is your opinion?
:):)

We're actually in port until 9:00 according to our documents.

Did anyone book the beach excursion in Corsica ? :confused3

I keep trying but will only let me book 1 person, not dh & I. :sad2:

Did everyone get the excursions and Palo res they wanted ? :thumbsup2

We leave in 6 days.....how about you ? :dance3:

We leave in 8 days! Just got back from a weekend at WDW (Destination D). Excited to shift gears and head to the Med. We have 1 dinner res; will probably try to get another Palo res when we get on board.

Hey, we're taking Air Canada from Montreal too (well, from Ottawa to Montreal and then onwards)! But we're flying out on the evening of the 25th and hope to be well rested by boarding day. Are you arriving the morning of?

We're also on the Montreal to Barcelona flight on the 25th. 6:20 flight. (We're originating from Houston)

We're actually in port until 9:00 according to our documents.

The all onboard time is 9pm. But, the end time of the DCL port adventure "Rome on your own" is 6:45pm. So, I believe that the DCL port adventure shall end at around 4pm in Rome since the travelling time between Rome and the port is approximate 2 hrs.

The all onboard time is 9pm. But, the end time of the DCL port adventure "Rome on your own" is 6:45pm. So, I believe that the DCL port adventure shall end at around 4pm in Rome since the travelling time between Rome and the port is approximate 2 hrs.

I'm pretty sure the end time of 6:45 pm is in Rome, giving you a 2 hour trip back to the port and not arriving at the port at 6:45 pm

Just a quick question. What is the average amount of money in Euros are people bringing with them? :confused3

I really don't know what the average would be as such. The amounts people will take will depend on many factors, such as the composition of your party, whether you're going on pre-booked excursions or plan to travel around in port on your own, whether you plan to buy souvenirs etc. Personally, I'm planning to bring around 200, perhaps 300 in cash, for my wife, baby son and me, no more. I'll use credit cards wherever possible, and if I need more cash I'll go to an ATM in port. I hate carrying more cash than is necessary, it's a security risk apart from anything. I'd sooner take a small hit on ATM charges than have to think about the security of large amounts of cash. Also, you don't want to bring too many euros and then have to exchange the surplus back, taking a double hit on rates/commission. If you go down the ATM route, just make sure your bank card is widely accepted internationally, but almost all are these days. And alert your bank that you'll be using it too, so they don't block your card thinking it's being used fraudulently.
Admittedly I'm in a slightly easier position than most, in that I live in Europe so I don't have to worry about exchange rates or being left with useless euros at the end of the cruise. I actually have the "opposite" problem - trying to figure out how many dollars in cash to bring for things like room service tips.

I still haven't received our cruise docs, so I contacted my TA last night who gave me a FedEx tracking number as, unknown to me, they had been shipped on April 15th. It transpires that FedEx tried to deliver them on April 18th, but didn't leave a calling card or anything, so we knew nothing about it. They advise that didn't attempt to redeliver but instead sought a telephone number to contact me, whereupon on April 27th DCL told them to destroy the documents rather than give them my telephone number. To say I am livid would be an understatement. I have to wait until DCL's Documentation Dept open's at 9am EST to get this resolved. :mad::mad::mad:

the DCL website itinerary shows a change from 9:00pm to 7:00pm.in Civitavecchia.It also shows a change in Palermo from 6:00 pm to 4:00pm.. My Documents show 6:00pm for Palermo and 9:00 pm for Civitavecchia..Which one is correct?pj

We're also on the Montreal to Barcelona flight on the 25th. 6:20 flight. (We're originating from Houston)

Wow! You'll already have had a long flight just to get to Montreal! We are less than a 1/2 hour flight away. We'll see you there in a week then!!!! :banana:

the DCL website itinerary shows a change from 9:00pm to 7:00pm.in Civitavecchia.It also shows a change in Palermo from 6:00 pm to 4:00pm.. My Documents show 6:00pm for Palermo and 9:00 pm for Civitavecchia..Which one is correct?pj

This is confusing because it's different than the cruise documents. If you read through this entire thread, you will see that there was a point that the DCL website itinerary had the days switched for a couple of ports, then fixed it. Have the times ever been correct since that point?

I was going to call DCL today to prepay the gratuities and I plan on asking about the times.

This is confusing because it's different than the cruise documents. If you read through this entire thread, you will see that there was a point that the DCL website itinerary had the days switched for a couple of ports, then fixed it. Have the times ever been correct since that point?

I was going to call DCL today to prepay the gratuities and I plan on asking about the times.

Hi.. i haven't had time to get through this whole thread yet but I will . Lots of info in it. I just emailed my TA and asked her to find out the correct times. Maybe we can compare answers...pj:confused3

Hi.. i haven't had time to get through this whole thread yet but I will . Lots of info in it. I just emailed my TA and asked her to find out the correct times. Maybe we can compare answers...pj:confused3

The times listed on the website are incorrect, they are the times for one of the June cruises. We will not leave the port from Rome until 9pm and we will leave the port in Palermo at 6 pm.

They are still having issues with the website.

The times listed on the website are incorrect, they are the times for one of the June cruises. We will not leave the port from Rome until 9pm and we will leave the port in Palermo at 6 pm.

They are still having issues with the website.

Yes, they sure are incorrect. Just got off the phone with DCL. The times in the cruise documents are the correct ones.

Just a quick question. What is the average amount of money in Euros are people bringing with them? :confused3

I think I would be on the high end of this average! :lmao: We are a family of 6, coming from the states, with private tours booked. We had trouble just knowing how much to bring as we really don't know the average prices of things. How much is a hamburger, a cup of coffee? We broke down the budget by day, estimating taxis, meals, souvenirs and tours. I think we probably overestimated but if I need to get rid of euros, I can always leave them as part of our tips at the end of the cruise.

We ordered our euro from our bank. For security, we are taking over half the euros in euro traveler's checks. Our tours accept them and I read that DCL will cash them. For our family, this plan seemed the easiest. Good luck! :wizard:

I think I would be on the high end of this average! :lmao: We are a family of 6, coming from the states, with private tours booked. We had trouble just knowing how much to bring as we really don't know the average prices of things. How much is a hamburger, a cup of coffee? We broke down the budget by day, estimating taxis, meals, souvenirs and tours. I think we probably overestimated but if I need to get rid of euros, I can always leave them as part of our tips at the end of the cruise.

We ordered our euro from our bank. For security, we are taking over half the euros in euro traveler's checks. Our tours accept them and I read that DCL will cash them. For our family, this plan seemed the easiest. Good luck! :wizard:

If you have any left over, I could by them off you at the current rate. I live in Europe and use them regularly. We will have both US dollars and Euros on us.

You don't have to sell them to me, I am just giving you another option.

Cindy

If you have any left over, I could by them off you at the current rate. I live in Europe and use them regularly. We will have both US dollars and Euros on us.

You don't have to sell them to me, I am just giving you another option.

Cindy

Cindy, you're going to have a line at your stateroom door on the last night of the cruise :rotfl2:

We are doing mostly private tours, so we have to have lots of cash available to do this. I plan on bringing enough to cover the first two tours, and then go to ATMs along the way. For all other things, like restaurants, souvenirs, etc. I plan to use our Capital One credit card because they don't charge a foreign transaction fee. We got that card specifically for foreign travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter