• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 26, 2010--5/26/2010 10 Night Mediterranean

Hi all,
We are thankful that we live in the suburbs away from where the demonstrations are being held.
I'm so sorry for the three bank workers that were killed by the mob. What a tragedy! Today was a big funeral for them and it was on TV.
Greece is still a beautiful country with many wonderful people. I feel bad that the world is seeing a group of angry, violent people as a representation of this country.

Jocjarmom- I saw a very amazing video on Youtube of your son and his broken arm. It was touching. My husband liked it too. It just popped up one day on Youtube and I said I recognize the name Jocjarmom from the disboard. Small world.

Here is my latest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Nto6i1fpA
I've just learned this piece by Chopin.

Well, everyone we're almost there aren't we?
Take care,
Jennifer

Jennifer - how in the world did you find our video about Jared????????? I am completely shocked. People usually see it when I send them the link. You are the first person I've ever known who found it on their own. Glad to know you enjoyed it... I always get teary eyed when I watch it.

Your Chopin piece was lovely... hope to hear lots of musical things coming from two doors down... too bad you can't bring your piano with you.

Karen

:confused::confused:Hi,

I haven't chimed in as yet. I'm Deb's Disney's mother and will be on this cruise.

I have never had to deal with exchanging money before. I am so confused. :confused3

When I get a quote for private tour guides at say 1200 euros, that's over $1500 US.

I feel dumb asking this but how is that good for us? :confused:

Expain sloooowly, please.

I will be driving a scooter as I am mobility challenged!:moped:

Hope I'm not embarrassing my DD, Debi.

Happy Mothers Day!

I haven't chimed in as yet. I'm Deb's Disney's mother and will be on this cruise.

I have never had to deal with exchanging money before. I am so confused. :confused3

When I get a quote for private tour guides at say 1200 euros, that's over $1500 US.

Happy Mothers Day!

Back in August, when I booked this cruise, $1.62 US Dollars would get me 1 euro, now $1.26 US Dollars will get me 1 euro so my dollar is going a bit further. So I feel like I am getting a bargain as the euro is working in our favor. I hope that helps.

Dear Tonia,
This trip will be a great way to celebrate the end of your husband's deployment! I'm traveling with my son Caleb (age 6) but my husband can't join us because of a work trip he has to take. We are Americans living in Athens, Greece. Welcome to the board!
Jennifer
PS Have you all seen the terrible riots and protest that are going on here in Athens? Greece is one of the reasons the Euro is tanking. I promise it's not my fault to those of you who are not happy about it.
Jennifer

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

Jennifer, we know a military family living in Greece right now and they absolutely love it there! They are not near Athens, although I can't remember where they are exactly. Hope that craziness calms down soon. Stay safe!

Welcome tkay22 and go2cindys we are glad for you to join us. We will be happy to answer any questions you have.

I know many of will be wanting to get on the ship first thing on the 26th but if anyone wants something fun to do in the morning you can go up to Mountjuic Castle (really more of a fort). From there you get great views of all Barcelona including the port where the Magic will be. You can easily take public transportation. You can take the L2 or L3 metro to the Paral-lel station then switch to the Montjuic funicular. You do not need to pay anymore for the funicular as long as you don’t go out the turnstiles. It can be fun for the kids to follow the signs from the metro to the funicular and then ride up the hill.
http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/planols/planolfunicular.jsp
Once off the funicular there is a cable car that will take you the rest of the way for 6.30 euros or you can walk through the gardens keeping up and left. The castle/fort is fun to explore and it is free. There is a small playground with a water fountain (if you need to fill water bottles) just below where the cable car lets people off. There are more gardens just below the fort which make a really nice walk down back to the funicular. There is also a bus that circles around Montjuic but I have never taken it and I don’t know the cost. We have walked down past the Olympic Stadium and National Palace to Placa Espanya but that is a long walk. We have been up there twice and will probably go again Wednesday morning.

I was asked about taking food off the trips for excursions. DCL does not check your bags as you leave; I think the scan on re-boarding is for metal/guns.

Our Tunis excursion from the 8:15 gathering until reboarding at 3:30 pm did not include access to food (we did buy lukewarm cokes at 1:30 before the return ride from Dugga).

There is no peanut butter on the ship, but bread and jams are available on the Topsider buffet. They offer either mortadella or salami each morning, too. Bring along some sandwich bags and grab a banana or apple and you could divert some hunger. There were some smart parents who packed some food; us older people must be used to going hungry longer or at least not crying in public.

Our dining rotations for the EBTA and Med were APL APL ...repeat and LAP...repeat. (Checking out your website).

Welcome tkay22 and go2cindys we are glad for you to join us. We will be happy to answer any questions you have.

I know many of will be wanting to get on the ship first thing on the 26th but if anyone wants something fun to do in the morning you can go up to Mountjuic Castle (really more of a fort). From there you get great views of all Barcelona including the port where the Magic will be. You can easily take public transportation. You can take the L2 or L3 metro to the Paral-lel station then switch to the Montjuic funicular. You do not need to pay anymore for the funicular as long as you don’t go out the turnstiles. It can be fun for the kids to follow the signs from the metro to the funicular and then ride up the hill.
http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/planols/planolfunicular.jsp
Once off the funicular there is a cable car that will take you the rest of the way for 6.30 euros or you can walk through the gardens keeping up and left. The castle/fort is fun to explore and it is free. There is a small playground with a water fountain (if you need to fill water bottles) just below where the cable car lets people off. There are more gardens just below the fort which make a really nice walk down back to the funicular. There is also a bus that circles around Montjuic but I have never taken it and I don’t know the cost. We have walked down past the Olympic Stadium and National Palace to Placa Espanya but that is a long walk. We have been up there twice and will probably go again Wednesday morning.

Eileen,
Thanks so much for this great information! I hope we will find time to do this.

Happy Mothers Day!

Hey mom! how could this possibly be embarrassing me? Your going to have to do better than this:rotfl: now if you bring up our Italy bathroom talk then I may need to rethink this reply!:eek: I think the euro exchange is at the lowest it has been in a long time.:banana:

Hey mom! how could this possibly be embarrassing me? Your going to have to do better than this:rotfl: now if you bring up our Italy bathroom talk then I may need to rethink this reply!:eek: I think the euro exchange is at the lowest it has been in a long time.:banana:

So true Deb, I believe this is the lowest the euro has been for at least a year and a half! I remember when I went with my mom to Germany in 1991 I believe and was able to get 1 euro for 99cents! Now, that was awesome!

So true Deb, I believe this is the lowest the euro has been for at least a year and a half! I remember when I went with my mom to Germany in 1991 I believe and was able to get 1 euro for 99cents! Now, that was awesome!

1 euro = 99cents. That I can understand!!!:goodvibes

No, Deb, I'll not bring up Italy's bathrooms. :eek: :scared1:

1 euro = 99cents. That I can understand!!!:goodvibes

No, Deb, I'll not bring up Italy's bathrooms. :eek: :scared1:

Just make sure you don't run around spending money like 1 euro = 1 dollar. At the end of our last Med cruise (and at that point, it was more like $1.44), we got our credit card bills and my hubby was shocked. For an MBA, it was a bit hard to believe he forget that the euro did not equal the dollar. LOL

Just make sure you don't run around spending money like 1 euro = 1 dollar. At the end of our last Med cruise (and at that point, it was more like $1.44), we got our credit card bills and my hubby was shocked. For an MBA, it was a bit hard to believe he forget that the euro did not equal the dollar. LOL

This is so true! It can fluctuate daily. I hate doing math on vacation, I'll leave that to my hubby!:rotfl:

Ok, so the dumb blonde is asking, where are you exhanging...I heard a rumour ( we're practicing European spelling, right) that AAA would exchange for free..any truth?

Thanks! Liz

Ok, so the dumb blonde is asking, where are you exhanging...I heard a rumour ( we're practicing European spelling, right) that AAA would exchange for free..any truth?

Thanks! Liz
They did for me (AAA). I think it depends on the office.

Sayhello

Thanks! Liz

Hey Liz,
Not sure but I plan to take care of getting some euros this week. I'll keep you posted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter