• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 26, 2010--5/26/2010 10 Night Mediterranean

Hi Everyone:yay:

I rarely come onto DIS - I normally spend time on the UK version, the DIBB.

There are not many UK people that I know of who are going on this cruise so it is great to find so many of you who are going. I am looking forward to enjoying the next few months planning with you all. :cool1:

Welcome!

Never heard of the Dibb, thats interesting!

I now feel sorry for our British friends realizing what they must pay to come here to Florida because airfare is so high it seems to cross the pond!

Thanks for the info on Novotel too, need to look into that!

Hi Everyone,

I have added several links to the website, one of which is information on how the check-in process at the Barcelona port will work. I found this information very helpful. Of course, I found it on another post on the disboards (I just love this board!!) Anyways, if you would like to know how check-in and embarkation in Barcelona will work, head on over to http://muchomagico.weebly.com/ and click on the links. Let me know if you would like me to add other links as well!!

Thanks for that! Youve got something new each time I go there LOL

We all have to be on board by 4 so I was thinking a "Meet and Greet" like between 3 and 4: 30 would be good so we can say HI and everyone can get their lanyard before the lifeboat drill at 5. I dint even realize we dont leave until night, that will be weird since weve always left during day but for once we wont be in the beating hot sun!

We are having a hard time with hotels for the 3 days before cruise, Paris after was no problem and we booked it but Barcelona has little for 5 people unless you get 2 rooms and its not cheap at all! We are looking at a 3 bedroom apt near Port which doesnt look too bad, as long as its safe and clean im good with it since usually your just there to sleep!

Sinnika says the palo ressies are coming good and thats great except she mentioned the "crab legs " and souffles so now my mouths watering!:lmao:

For the first time cruisers wait till chocolate buffet night! Imagine a room of all desserts and 3 foot high chocolate Mickeys , chocolate fountains where they give you 5-6 things to dip in the white or milk chocolate!( No oompa Loompas though) Then there is pirate night where they have the turkey legs! I will have to make a link to our pics from the PC cruise last year where tom took pics of them! See now final payment seems all worth it :)

I bought bethany a DCL hidden Mickey book( ok ok I bought it for me) but I can arrange a scavenger hunt from it I think !

Ive been getting names for the fe's and lanyards. I just need to see how many teams I can make . I need everyones in the parties first names so everyone has their own but Ill put the main Disname on it. No one needs to pay me for those,just give me the info and pick them up either at a pre cruise meet or on the ship!

Ok well Im off to pack as my mom and I are going to Las Vegas in the morning! Im hoping to win some cruise money. Ill be able to get post still and will try to keep up bit if not Ill be back on wednesday!
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

P.S. Meant to ask if anyone was coming to WDW before? Tom and I are only 90 minutes south in Tampa Bay and would love to meet if anyone goes!

Wanted to let everyone know that the response for the Private Palo brunch has been great! :yay: I already faxed in the list earlier today, and have started a second list. We need a min of 12 (max 14) to send in a list. Since there are 2 sea days, lets hope we can get them both! So if you have not responded and want to try to dine as a group in Palo, please PM me or email me your full names and DCL ressie #. There are some reg posters who have not been on the boards in awhile. Wrennies, poohandpiglet, tammyalphabet are you guys interested??? threebritts, where did you book in Paris? We should start a subthread for all of us going preorpost cruise to Paris!!!:goodvibes

Wanted to let everyone know that the response for the Private Palo brunch has been great! :yay: I already faxed in the list earlier today, and have started a second list. We need a min of 12 (max 14) to send in a list. Since there are 2 sea days, lets hope we can get them both! So if you have not responded and want to try to dine as a group in Palo, please PM me or email me your full names and DCL ressie #. There are some reg posters who have not been on the boards in awhile. Wrennies, poohandpiglet, tammyalphabet are you guys interested??? threebritts, where did you book in Paris? We should start a subthread for all of us going preorpost cruise to Paris!!!:goodvibes

Thanks Sinnika! I hope we can get another Palo Brunch scheduled for May 27th as I won't be able to make the June 4th one--we disembark in Villefranche to head to Paris. I would love to hear where others are planning on staying or have stayed in Paris. I'm working on that as well. I'm thinking we will be staying at the Dream Castle by Disneyland Paris and just take the train into the city but haven't committed to anything yet. I'm open for suggestions!!

just paid the cruise off. looked at airfares it seems like the air went up a couple hundred dollars from philly, and newark. relax they will come down the airlines like to play games with people to get more dollars and have people panic. what they do is they have the prices go up and people will panic saying we have to book now before the prices go up anymore and people will panic i have done it myself. on my cruise last month i got airline tickets from philly to mco about three months before. i looked at the flights later and the same exact flights was like 100 dollars cheaper from 298 roundtrip to 198 roundtrip. so the point is just relax the fares will come down they almost always do. i hope.

I can't believe our dream cruise is only 4 months away!!

My DH and son are really excited about this adventure as well. DS just turned 10 and is in the fourth grade.

I'm working on plans for shore excursions now.

Since it's just the three of us, if there is anyone that wants to share a private excursion in Rome, we'd LOVE to spend the day with another family and help cut the cost for both families. PM me if interested. :yay: This is the port that I don't mind splurging on!

I can't wait to see everyone aboard the ship! :yay:

We are looking at the DCL shore excurisons. The ones we have chosen are

Malta - Valletta and Mdina A Tale of 2 cities
Tunasia - Bardo Museum and Mdina for Families
Naples - Stunning Sorrento and Amalfi Coast Drive
Rome - The best of Rome
Florence/LaSpezia - Florence and Michangelo with Disney characters
Corsica - On our own or stay on the ship
Villafranche - Nice and Eze with Wine and Cheese

What do ya'll think about these excursions? We have never been to Europe before and are trying to plan a fun/informational trip for a 7 year old. We would welcome insight from someone who has been to Europe or has heard from friends/family who have. Thanks!

We are looking at the DCL shore excurisons. The ones we have chosen are

Malta - Valletta and Mdina A Tale of 2 cities
Tunasia - Bardo Museum and Mdina for Families
Naples - Stunning Sorrento and Amalfi Coast Drive
Rome - The best of Rome
Florence/LaSpezia - Florence and Michangelo with Disney characters
Corsica - On our own or stay on the ship
Villafranche - Nice and Eze with Wine and Cheese

What do ya'll think about these excursions? We have never been to Europe before and are trying to plan a fun/informational trip for a 7 year old. We would welcome insight from someone who has been to Europe or has heard from friends/family who have. Thanks!

Hi Speakupjc,

I have been to Europe but not Italy. Your excursions look great!! I would love to do the Florence with Disney characters tour but we opted to do Florence on Our Own to save money. We have good friends that have been to Italy at least 30 times so I have been picking their brain for ideas. One suggestion was to not miss Pompeii in Naples--not sure if you are interested in that though. I hear Sorrento is amazing. We have a private driver in Naples and plan to go to Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, and the Archeological Museum in Naples. I'm not a history buff at all but my husband and girls love it, so I think this will be right up their alley. I'm going for the gelato:rotfl2: Happy Planning!!

We have visited Florence, and my husband has been to Naples. He would like to visit the island of Capri but he says we'll need the whole day to really appreciate it. I would rather see Pompeii and Sorrento. The Amalphi coast sounds gorgeus but DD tends to get carsick on long winding road trips, so we are not sure if we'll just go by train to Pompeii and on to Sorrento and back.
We are also doing Florence on our own. We would love to do Pisa (I would love to have that photo of me and Mickey in front of the leaning tower! HA! HA! Maybe we can be photocropped! :lmao: But in Florence we would like to go into the Uffizi and of course see the David at the Academia, both of which require advance reservations if you want to bypass the long lines, I'm told. We plan on traveling by train to most cities (Rome, Florence, Naples) and do walking tours with guides there. Still need to find good recommendations there.
In Corsica, we are planning to take a taxi to a local beach. This will be our sleep in day too as we will be recovering from 3 super long days!
In Tunis, we plan to visit Sid Bou Said, Carthage and Medina and hire a cab for the journey.
In Malta, there is one DCL excursion that caught our eye "Three historic cities and Dghajsa boat ride.
In Villafrenche, my son wants to do the whitewater rafting. DH thinks it is too dangerous. DD wants to make perfume and shop. I would like to visit Princess Grace's grave.
We have traveled to Europe 3 times, and never with much planning. We are pretty spontaneous, so our touring style may not be like most, as we'll change up plans as we go. But I am trying to read about some of the must see's esp in Rome since there is so much there! Hard to narrow it down! If anyone has been to Rome, would love some input there!
And of course Paris is a whole other planning trip! So much to see, so little time!!!:goodvibes

I was at SuperTarget this evening and found some fun things in the Dollar Spot. There were several "for dummies" pocket edition books that I bought. One was Daily Spanish for Dummies. $1 each. I wish they had them for Italian and French. DH speaks Spanish, DD is in her 3rd year and DS is finishing up his first year of Spanish. I speak a little but that little book will be helpful for me!
I also picked up some travel items in the lauggage section - a superlite toiletry bag, a sling type black bag to carry and a money bag for my waist. We are also in the market for new luggage if anyone has any suggestions. I'm even looking at weight of things when choosing clothes for the trip. Every ounce counts! :rotfl:

I was at SuperTarget this evening and found some fun things in the Dollar Spot. There were several "for dummies" pocket edition books that I bought. One was Daily Spanish for Dummies. $1 each. I wish they had them for Italian and French. DH speaks Spanish, DD is in her 3rd year and DS is finishing up his first year of Spanish. I speak a little but that little book will be helpful for me!
I also picked up some travel items in the lauggage section - a superlite toiletry bag, a sling type black bag to carry and a money bag for my waist. We are also in the market for new luggage if anyone has any suggestions. I'm even looking at weight of things when choosing clothes for the trip. Every ounce counts! :rotfl:

I just bought a light weight piece of luggage (American Tourist-Meridian Lite) at Walmart for $79--it has the 4 wheels and is super light and large in size.

Also, I downloaded some really good Rick Steves guided tours from I-Tunes tonight. They are podcasts and all free. I got one for The Accademia (David), Colosseum, Forum, Sistine Chapel. They also include a map of the area as well. My thought is to use these on our ipods as a self guided tour. And I just added a link on the website for Rick Steves Pompeii Walking Tour as well.

I'm gonna run to Target tomorrow to pick up that Spanish for Dummies. Thanks for the tip!

What are you all planning on wearing for the Formal night(s)? I don't think I can get my husband to pack a suit let alone a tux. He will pack a tie and nice pants. We may just skip formal night in the dining room and do room service that night. What are your thoughts on this?

I just bought a light weight piece of luggage (American Tourist-Meridian Lite) at Walmart for $79--it has the 4 wheels and is super light and large in size.

Also, I downloaded some really good Rick Steves guided tours from I-Tunes tonight. They are podcasts and all free. I got one for The Accademia (David), Colosseum, Forum, Sistine Chapel. They also include a map of the area as well. My thought is to use these on our ipods as a self guided tour. And I just added a link on the website for Rick Steves Pompeii Walking Tour as well.

I'm gonna run to Target tomorrow to pick up that Spanish for Dummies. Thanks for the tip!

I saw the 4 wheels Swiss Army ones at Target. I have a Swiss army carry on size that I got from Tuesday Morning. Think I'll check there for sales too.

Are the podcasts on Rick Steve's website? I bought his Italy 2010 and had it spiral bound at Office Max. I also took out about 100 pages of ports we don't visit to lighten it up some. It still weighs almost 1 lb. DD got a Kindle for Christmas so I'm thinking of uploading the book there and leaving mine home.

What are you all planning on wearing for the Formal night(s)? I don't think I can get my husband to pack a suit let alone a tux. He will pack a tie and nice pants. We may just skip formal night in the dining room and do room service that night. What are your thoughts on this?

DD loves dressing up and DS wore a "tux" on our June 09 cruise. We had his band uniform (pants, and shirt) altered to fit him well. We also had a reg suit jacket tailored and he looked very smart. We really loved it for the photos. If we do dress up, I would rent DH's tux. Again, once we pack, if we are anywhere close to the 50 lb weight limit, the dressier clothes will be the first to stay home! :rotfl: You won't want to skip formal night. Most people will be in suits at best. A few tuxes, some suits, many just shirt and tie, and we've even seen a fair number of casual dressers at dinner.:goodvibes

Thanks Sinnika. I know my DH will wear a tie and dress pants so we will pack that. I love getting dressed up so I would hate to miss the formal night!! My girls not so much though.

How many pieces of luggage are you planning on bringing?

I found Rick Steves podcasts on ITunes. They are each about 30mins long and walk you through a guided tour of each area. I started to listen to the Colosseum one and it is pretty detailed. I didn't want to listen to it all as I want something to look forward to!!

Thanks Sinnika. I know my DH will wear a tie and dress pants so we will pack that. I love getting dressed up so I would hate to miss the formal night!! My girls not so much though.

How many pieces of luggage are you planning on bringing?

I found Rick Steves podcasts on ITunes. They are each about 30mins long and walk you through a guided tour of each area. I started to listen to the Colosseum one and it is pretty detailed. I didn't want to listen to it all as I want something to look forward to!!

We plan on bringing one suitcase each and one carry on each. Kids will use backpacks or douffles as their carry ons. I saw some very lightweight fold-up douffles at Target too. We'll need them for the return home, as we always return with alot more than we left with! :rotfl:

Welcome!

Never heard of the Dibb, thats interesting!

I now feel sorry for our British friends realizing what they must pay to come here to Florida because airfare is so high it seems to cross the pond!

Thanks for the info on Novotel too, need to look into that!

I am another family on this cruiise from the UK. I am very keen on the lanyards and I have joined the roll call on the website that MARLOWER has made.
This all looks very exciting now, just need to shed a few pounds!!
Tracey

I am another family on this cruiise from the UK. I am very keen on the lanyards and I have joined the roll call on the website that MARLOWER has made.
This all looks very exciting now, just need to shed a few pounds!!
Tracey

Looks like we have some UK families! My very social DS 12 is looking forward to meeting people from other countries!

Heidi, can we add to the roll call where we are from? Or perhaps another link with more specifics to share? City/State/Country, what we do, kids interests, etc.

Tracey, there's a meet thread for those who want to shed a few pounds before cruising: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2344654
Come join us! I weigh in today at Jenny Craig - its more encouraging doing it with others, esp with the same end goal in mind - a cruise! :banana:

Well final payment is made ! YAY!!!!

The lanyard is just a lanyard but were going to put on the nametag part the logo with dis name and real name so when we see each other we know each other and it kind of makes us stand out!

Tom and I can pay for these ( we can get a box of 100 in plain colors very reasonable). Last time people put the logo on the rope part and that was expensive so if people just want the plain ,Tom and I will do that no problem.
These are not only nice for knowing each other but you can carry your key to the world card in them and ID. I just need everyone that wants ones dis names and individual names, even the kids. I scrapbooked my PC one at the end.

People have been replying to me and thats great, keep them coming so we can figure out the teams.

Thanks, sinnika for doing the brunch. I had no clue how to do that! Please add Tom and I for the brunch !
OMG I cant believe were at 4 months ( doing the happy dance LOL)4
There is 5 of us and were having hard time with Barcelona hotels so we may do a apt there for 3 days and rent car to get around.
Lets plan a meet there somewhere for the 25th??? Dinner? Ok whos planning that? LOL
Working on a scavenger hunt plan with maybe some small prizes that families could enter but I dont want to drag it out because I know how busy it gets and people wanting to relax.

Ok I owe I owe so off to work I go.....
Have a good night everyone!

Heather

Yes, I want to participate in the lanyard. Thanks for doing this. I signed up in the new page (rollcall). Is this the info you want to make them? Let me know if you need more info. When do I pay you?

Just an fyi for any families still looking for a hotel stay in Barcelona. JoandWayne let me know about a Novotel Hotel that is opening up March 1st with some terrific rates. We only needed one room at the Novotel versus the two rooms we had at U232. So I cancelled the U232 and booked the new Novotel and saved over $200USD--now I can get that massage on the cruise I've been wanting! :cool1:

Thanks so much for the info. I cancell my hotel and booked in this one. The savings are huge! and it looks like a nice hotel too. :woohoo:

Yes, I want to participate in the lanyard. Thanks for doing this. I signed up in the new page (rollcall). Is this the info you want to make them? Let me know if you need more info. When do I pay you?

Do youi have me down for three lanyards?

Tracey
Eric
Luke

Wilson family from UK

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter