May 25, 2012 - Magical 8-night cruise - NYC to the Bahamas!

I am in for a weigh in, and I guess I will be the first to say my start weight- 180lbs. that is just :eek::eek:

I am in for a weigh in, and I guess I will be the first to say my start weight- 180lbs. that is just :eek::eek:

Ok I'll admit right now... your start weight is my end weight! :lmao: Well, I should put it this way: If I end up weighing 180 on the cruise, I will be thrilled. :rolleyes1 :laughing:

I'm not going to say my start weight...but I will say each week how much I've lost. :upsidedow

Here's me from July 2010; I weigh a little more now. :headache: (Although I would probably look the same if I put that exact outfit on right now).

DSC05622.JPG

Good morning everyone :sunny:

I'm doing fairly well on my diet. After we finish the leftovers of Chinese food tonight, then we'll get down to ONLY healthy food. :lmao:

Anyway, I've had a cup of coffee, a banana, and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. This is definitely not South Beach type foods, but they're much healthier than coffee and donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. ::yes::

Ok, back to cruise talk! :boat:

I think we can start to book excursions and Palo some time in February (as long as we're paid off - which we already are). I'm only a Silver Castaway Club member, so I don't know how much luck I'll have getting the Palo reservations that I'd like.

As far as excursions go, I don't think we'll have much problem booking them. I'm assuming that we can choose the park/bus that we want to start at for our Port Canaveral day, and I already know that we want to start at the Magic Kingdom.

For Nassau, I'll have to decide what we're going to do. Here are the choices that I'm considering:

Book nothing - stay on the ship and enjoy it. (Although I'd definitely walk off the ship and maybe take a quick look in the Straw Market, just so I can say that I've been there).

Ardastra Gardens excursion This one is fairly inexpensive, I've read good reviews, Robb and Chelsea are considering this one, and at least we'd get to see a little more of the island since it includes a bus tour too.

Blue Lagoon Beach Day This one sounds good to me because I love nothing more than relaxing on a beautiful beach. But I know that we'll be going to Castaway Cay for a beach day. This excursion uses a ferry boat to get you to Blue Lagoon; it's a long boat ride, but if the weather is really nice it'd be fun to see the island from the water.

Ok, can you tell how undecided I am?? :scratchin LOL

I'd love to see Atlantis, but without a wheel chair or electric scooter, there's no way I'd be able to do that with my mobility/health issues. :sick:

Good morning everyone :sunny:

I'm doing fairly well on my diet. After we finish the leftovers of Chinese food tonight, then we'll get down to ONLY healthy food. :lmao:

Anyway, I've had a cup of coffee, a banana, and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. This is definitely not South Beach type foods, but they're much healthier than coffee and donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. ::yes::

Ok, back to cruise talk! :boat:

I think we can start to book excursions and Palo some time in February (as long as we're paid off - which we already are). I'm only a Silver Castaway Club member, so I don't know how much luck I'll have getting the Palo reservations that I'd like.

As far as excursions go, I don't think we'll have much problem booking them. I'm assuming that we can choose the park/bus that we want to start at for our Port Canaveral day, and I already know that we want to start at the Magic Kingdom.

For Nassau, I'll have to decide what we're going to do. Here are the choices that I'm considering:

Book nothing - stay on the ship and enjoy it. (Although I'd definitely walk off the ship and maybe take a quick look in the Straw Market, just so I can say that I've been there).

Ardastra Gardens excursion This one is fairly inexpensive, I've read good reviews, Robb and Chelsea are considering this one, and at least we'd get to see a little more of the island since it includes a bus tour too.

Blue Lagoon Beach Day This one sounds good to me because I love nothing more than relaxing on a beautiful beach. But I know that we'll be going to Castaway Cay for a beach day. This excursion uses a ferry boat to get you to Blue Lagoon; it's a long boat ride, but if the weather is really nice it'd be fun to see the island from the water.

Ok, can you tell how undecided I am?? :scratchin LOL

I'd love to see Atlantis, but without a wheel chair or electric scooter, there's no way I'd be able to do that with my mobility/health issues. :sick:

an observation about the ferry to the beach, you can get the ferries at the pier for much less than the excursion. About 10.00 per person if I remember correctly (From this past Nov). I have been to Nassau many times with DCL and have only taken one excursion in the 14 or so times. I usually just wander around town a bit, then head back to the ship. One of these trips I might just go to Atlantis....on my own. One can prepurchase the day pass, and the ferry as I mentioned is about 10.00. The total is much less than DCL and you have a lot more freedom! Just sayin'

http://www.atlantis.com/thingstodo/dolphincay/beachpass.aspx

an observation about the ferry to the beach, you can get the ferries at the pier for much less than the excursion. About 10.00 per person if I remember correctly (From this past Nov). I have been to Nassau many times with DCL and have only taken one excursion in the 14 or so times. I usually just wander around town a bit, then head back to the ship. One of these trips I might just go to Atlantis....on my own. One can prepurchase the day pass, and the ferry as I mentioned is about 10.00. The total is much less than DCL and you have a lot more freedom! Just sayin'

http://www.atlantis.com/thingstodo/dolphincay/beachpass.aspx

Thanks for the info about Atlantis. I don't think I'm going to be able to go there at all, because it's so spread out there's no way that I can do all of that walking. I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and foot problems. I think the resort looks great, but without a wheel chair, unfortunately I wouldn't get past the entrance. :sad2:

Are you saying that the ferry to the Blue Lagoon beach is only $10?? And then pay the entrance fee when we get there? I'll have to look in to that because I'm sure it'd cost less than the DCL excursion. :3dglasses

The last time we were in Nassau we did the Dolphin Swim at Blue Lagoon and it was beautiful. I know that the Beach Day excursion, doesn't include the dolphins, but I'd gladly spend the day there again.

We are considering Atlantis for the day or going back to the Sheraton/Wyndham. For a $20 day pass you can use their facilities, pools, and beaches. They also give you towels. There are many pools and one has a slide, which my 5 year olds loved!

I haven't thought too much about Nassau yet. When we went on the three day cruise in 2006, we did the dolphin interaction. My DS (who was 4 at the time) and I got to play with the dolphins and my DH and DD (who was only 18 months old at the time) watched from the sidelines. Since we would be paying for 5 of us instead of just 2, it might be too much for this trip. I have to look into the other options.

For Port Canaveral, Sam (the 10 year old) has declared that he would really really really like to go to Lego Land instead of Disney. Since Emma (the 6 year old) really really wants to go to Disney, I think we might split up. It means that we have to figure out our own transportation to Lego Land though. I am hoping our travel agent can help us figure out how DH and DS (and Maybe the little DS too) can get there. I am still hoping that Max (the 4 year old) will change his mind and decide to go to Disney with us because then we won't have to pay for a ticket and figure out how to get a car seat.

I have a question about the atlantis beach pass, when I clicked on the link, it did'nt say anything about just a beach pass, but swim with the... and I just want to swim with meeeeee! I think we might do kennedy space center because we will be traveling with my in-laws and that is too much.

Oh good grief, we just made a total change in our pre-cruise plans! :lmao:

All of that research on hotels in NYC, down the drain. :surfweb:

Tonight the four of us were together and talking about the cruise... one thing led to another.... we started to check train schedules and fares on Amtrak.com.... then someone came up with the idea to check airfare.

So.... I went the JetBlue web site and saw very, very good fares from Boston to Newark. $49/per each way! For $414. total, the four of us will be flying in the day before the cruise.

Now... to decide where to stay. I'm tempted to stay at the Marriott right at the airport, since we will use DCL transfers to and from the airport and cruise port.

But on the bright side.... the plane tickets are non-refundable so it looks like we're definitely going on this cruise!!!! :rotfl: :banana: :yay: :woohoo: :cool2:

Oh good grief, we just made a total change in our pre-cruise plans! :lmao:

All of that research on hotels in NYC, down the drain. :surfweb:

Tonight the four of us were together and talking about the cruise... one thing led to another.... we started to check train schedules and fares on Amtrak.com.... then someone came up with the idea to check airfare.

So.... I went the JetBlue web site and saw very, very good fares from Boston to Newark. $49/per each way! For $414. total, the four of us will be flying in the day before the cruise.

Now... to decide where to stay. I'm tempted to stay at the Marriott right at the airport, since we will use DCL transfers to and from the airport and cruise port.

But on the bright side.... the plane tickets are non-refundable so it looks like we're definitely going on this cruise!!!! :rotfl: :banana: :yay: :woohoo: :cool2:

LOL, I love JetBlue. use them all the time to WDW & DLR. Do the research on the hotel carefully that area of Newark can be a bit rough, if you choose to stay in NYC keep in mind that the port is midtown Manhattan and the area can be very expensive. You are flying into Newark? You may also consider renting a car Enterprise and Hertz have locations at EWR, you MAY be able to return in NYC.

So on another note - the train system into NYC is pretty good getting from EWR to Penn Station in Manhattan is 12.50 each way per person. The train takes about 30 minutes from EWR to NYPenn. Getting from Penn Sta to the Chelsea Piers (where the ship is sailing from), Google tells me is about 6.00.

If you don't want to go all the way into Penn Station, you can get off the train in Hoboken, and take the ferry to the NYC port areas, for that you would add some cost per person (about 25 dollars one way and 43 round trip)

So, maybe all your research is not for nothing...you may still use it! Some NYC hotels provide pick up service at Penn Sta as well. Might be worth the research.

Orbitz is showing the hotels near EWR from 139 and up.

The reason I am posting this is because I think Disney may be overcharging for the transfers (please - some one post a number!) One can go from EWR to Chealsea Piers for less than 20.00 per person including tipping the cabby. The trains run every 15 minutes from 5am to 1am! And the time spent in transit would be less than one hour, I wonder how long Disney is telling folks?

This is only ONE of the many schedules: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf

Cayla

LOL, I love JetBlue. use them all the time to WDW & DLR. Do the research on the hotel carefully that area of Newark can be a bit rough, if you choose to stay in NYC keep in mind that the port is midtown Manhattan and the area can be very expensive. You are flying into Newark? You may also consider renting a car Enterprise and Hertz have locations at EWR, you MAY be able to return in NYC.

So on another note - the train system into NYC is pretty good getting from EWR to Penn Station in Manhattan is 12.50 each way per person. The train takes about 30 minutes from EWR to NYPenn. Getting from Penn Sta to the Chelsea Piers (where the ship is sailing from), Google tells me is about 6.00.

If you don't want to go all the way into Penn Station, you can get off the train in Hoboken, and take the ferry to the NYC port areas, for that you would add some cost per person (about 25 dollars one way and 43 round trip)

So, maybe all your research is not for nothing...you may still use it! Some NYC hotels provide pick up service at Penn Sta as well. Might be worth the research.

Orbitz is showing the hotels near EWR from 139 and up.

The reason I am posting this is because I think Disney may be overcharging for the transfers (please - some one post a number!) One can go from EWR to Chealsea Piers for less than 20.00 per person including tipping the cabby. The trains run every 15 minutes from 5am to 1am! And the time spent in transit would be less than one hour, I wonder how long Disney is telling folks?

This is only ONE of the many schedules: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf

Cayla

Thanks once again for the info, Cayla! :) I know that DCL is charging $36.00 per person, per leg, for transportation to/from EWR.

Good question about what time DCL is telling people that they'll be picked up? I really do not want to get to the port later. I like to get onboard and enjoy lunch, etc.

Hey Everyone. A quick question for you guys (and I've also posted on the main board, but thought some of you might know). Can the balcony's be opened between rooms to create a connection?

We are currently in connecting insides (originally wanted connecting ocean views, but waited too long to book), if we moved to balcony rooms that are next door to each other, could we connect via the balcony?

I know that on Royal Caribbean and Carnival this can be done, but was not sure with Disney.

Thanks so much!
Caryn

Havent heard of Cambridge....

Its food replacement basically, very low calorie and high protein/low carb milkshakes, bars and soups. Three packs a day, 600 calories, but you don't get hungry because your body sends you into ketosis because of the low carb thing. Not idea, and not something thats sustainable for a long time, but for quick loss its great, and I am using it exactly for that purpose, to see results fast, then I will go onto a healthy eating programme to maintain (or thats the plan anyway!).

What usually happens is I lose weight, then eat like a pig until I've put it back on plus more on top. Its a viscious circle I've been stuck in for 20 years unfortunately, I am your classic yo-yo dieter. Its really not unusual for me to fluctuate by 3 stone over a year (which was in fact what I did last year, and not in the right direction).

Anyway, 1st weigh in tomorrow for me.

Hey Everyone. A quick question for you guys (and I've also posted on the main board, but thought some of you might know). Can the balcony's be opened between rooms to create a connection?

We are currently in connecting insides (originally wanted connecting ocean views, but waited too long to book), if we moved to balcony rooms that are next door to each other, could we connect via the balcony?

I know that on Royal Caribbean and Carnival this can be done, but was not sure with Disney.

Thanks so much!
Caryn

They cannot be removed, as far as I know. I've never heard of the partition being able to be removed on the Magic or Wonder. (Not sure if this is different on the new ships).

Its food replacement basically, very low calorie and high protein/low carb milkshakes, bars and soups. Three packs a day, 600 calories, but you don't get hungry because your body sends you into ketosis because of the low carb thing. Not idea, and not something thats sustainable for a long time, but for quick loss its great, and I am using it exactly for that purpose, to see results fast, then I will go onto a healthy eating programme to maintain (or thats the plan anyway!).

What usually happens is I lose weight, then eat like a pig until I've put it back on plus more on top. Its a viscious circle I've been stuck in for 20 years unfortunately, I am your classic yo-yo dieter. Its really not unusual for me to fluctuate by 3 stone over a year (which was in fact what I did last year, and not in the right direction).

I've lost weight and then gained it back, too. :headache: I'm trying really hard right now to at least lose *some* weight before the cruise. Good luck at your weigh-in tomorrow. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
20 weeks from today is our cruise!!!!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

:yay: :cool2: :banana: :woohoo: :cheer2: :sunny: :sail: :boat:

I am a classic yo-yo'er too!!! It's sinful, really :)

I have the best intentions most times and never do anything about it - do well, then sabotage myself

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
20 weeks from today is our cruise!!!!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

:yay: :cool2: :banana: :woohoo: :cheer2: :sunny: :sail: :boat:

OMY!! :cool1:

Sure does fly by... I remember booking last April LOL, geesh!

I wish the price had come down ... I wanted to upgrade to another room - I believe we are inside.. I don't even remember, how sad is that?

I would have loved an OV or balcony - but omg the price! :) So not used to this cost... That's what happens when you upgrade to Disney from Norwegian and Carnival! :)

Hi gang!

I woke this morning to find an email from DCL in my inbox. It's titled "Disney Crusie Line day at Walt Disney World." I thought it was an ad of some sort but it isn't. See text below. I've clicked on the link and signed in but I don't see how to sign up for the bus departure time. I suppose early sign-up for transfers to the park are only open to those who are already paid in full, but I'm going to keep researching. (REVISION: I called DCL and they told me that the shore excursion sign-up rules do apply here) Here's the email . . . .

We are excited you will be sailing with us on the new 8-Night Bahamian itinerary that includes a day at the Walt Disney World® Resort and wanted to share some information about our stop in Port Canaveral, Florida.

While in Port Canaveral, Guests wanting to explore the Walt Disney World® Resort on their own will be offered complimentary motorcoach transfers to their choice of Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney‘s Hollywood Studios or Disney’s Animal Kingdom (a 1-day Walt Disney World® Resort ticket with Park Hopper® option is also included). Transportation will begin at select times beginning as early as 7:30 a.m. and departing from the Magic Kingdom as late as 11:00 p.m. To ensure the best experience possible, we ask that you pre-reserve your selected Theme Park and departure time at http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/. For those Guests wanting a more exclusive Theme Park experience, several new Port Adventures will be available to view on our website (using the link above) later this month.

As you and your family start planning your day at the Walt Disney World Resort, please keep in mind that many Disney table-service restaurants are quite popular and can book very quickly. Guests who would like to make dining reservations, may do so up to 180 days in advance online at http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/ or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Of course, there are also plenty of counter-service dining options to fit every taste throughout each of the four parks.

Again, we are glad that you are joining us for this exciting itinerary. We look forward to welcoming you onboard real soon!

Hi gang!

I woke this morning to find an email from DCL in my inbox. It's titled "Disney Crusie Line day at Walt Disney World." I thought it was an ad of some sort but it isn't. See text below. I've clicked on the link and signed in but I don't see how to sign up for the bus departure time. I suppose early sign-up for transfers to the park are only open to those who are already paid in full, but I'm going to keep researching. Here's the email . . . .

We are excited you will be sailing with us on the new 8-Night Bahamian itinerary that includes a day at the Walt Disney World® Resort and wanted to share some information about our stop in Port Canaveral, Florida.

While in Port Canaveral, Guests wanting to explore the Walt Disney World® Resort on their own will be offered complimentary motorcoach transfers to their choice of Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney‘s Hollywood Studios or Disney’s Animal Kingdom (a 1-day Walt Disney World® Resort ticket with Park Hopper® option is also included). Transportation will begin at select times beginning as early as 7:30 a.m. and departing from the Magic Kingdom as late as 11:00 p.m. To ensure the best experience possible, we ask that you pre-reserve your selected Theme Park and departure time at http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/. For those Guests wanting a more exclusive Theme Park experience, several new Port Adventures will be available to view on our website (using the link above) later this month.

As you and your family start planning your day at the Walt Disney World Resort, please keep in mind that many Disney table-service restaurants are quite popular and can book very quickly. Guests who would like to make dining reservations, may do so up to 180 days in advance online at http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/ or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Of course, there are also plenty of counter-service dining options to fit every taste throughout each of the four parks.

Again, we are glad that you are joining us for this exciting itinerary. We look forward to welcoming you onboard real soon!

Hmm!! I signed in, saw nothing - but then again, We are booked with a Travel Agent, maybe thats why - I've emailed her.

I just re-priced our cruise - same category up $500.00 .. deluxe oceanview is $900.00 more!

We just made our breakfast reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table for our day at WDW. My daughter is so excited princess:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter