May 24, 2014 Alaskan 9 night Wonder

Hi there:

I am in the Tinkerbell group and have a GTY room assignment. I contacted DCL to find out when the rooms will be assigned. They said we should get our room assignments about three weeks prior to the cruise. I will let you know ours once DCL tells me.

Thank you so much for the hard work you put into organizing the Fish Extender Gift Exchange.

Thank you, Ray! :goodvibes

And no worries. I knew it would be closer to the sailing date before people without stateroom assignments knew where they will end up. I just didn't want to be a stalker the week before we sail trying to get everyone's room numbers so you can get your gifts delivered to you :laughing: so I threw another reminder in.

I have been on the Dream and there was no fan, but I haven't been on the Wonder so I am not certain.

The Wonder doesn't have any fan in the rooms either. The thermostat has a range of cooler to warmer, but I've never heard the white noise of a fan in the rooms.

Promised myself I wouldn't comment anymore on the FE's, I'm really not trying to :stir:, but I just had an idea/thought :idea: I'd like to bounce off everyone.

If the Tinkerbell group was split into multiple groups, and then the Mickey group added to each of those. The people in Tinkerbell that wanted to give to approx 50 people would still be in a single group giving to approx 50 people. The Mickey group giving to 100 and 100 + people would also still be giving to the same amount, but they would be in a larger receiving pool making things more fair. I don't think anyone is saying they HAVE to get what they put in, but being in a pool to receive approx 2/3 of what you put in as opposed to 1/3 does feel much better, especially for the kids in the Mickey group.

Anyway, its just a thought, and if others don't agree and nothing changes we'll be fine with that also.

MoonDaughter - After I've counted my supplies I'll let you know by email if we can be included in the late comers group also. :thumbsup2

We made a very last minute decision to book this cruise a couple of weeks ago. This is our second DCL Alaskan cruise. We are a party of three: DH, DD (18) and me. Look forward to meeting you!

Best,
Sarah

We made a very last minute decision to book this cruise a couple of weeks ago. This is our second DCL Alaskan cruise. We are a party of three: DH, DD (18) and me. Look forward to meeting you!

Best,
Sarah

There are a few of us that waited until last minute rates come out :good vibes Welcome to the group

We made a very last minute decision to book this cruise a couple of weeks ago. This is our second DCL Alaskan cruise. We are a party of three: DH, DD (18) and me. Look forward to meeting you! Best, Sarah

We did the same thing! I am still in shock we are going hehe! Can't wait!!!!!! Welcome to the group!

Promised myself I wouldn't comment anymore on the FE's, I'm really not trying to :stir:, but I just had an idea/thought :idea: I'd like to bounce off everyone.

If the Tinkerbell group was split into multiple groups, and then the Mickey group added to each of those. The people in Tinkerbell that wanted to give to approx 50 people would still be in a single group giving to approx 50 people. The Mickey group giving to 100 and 100 + people would also still be giving to the same amount, but they would be in a larger receiving pool making things more fair. I don't think anyone is saying they HAVE to get what they put in, but being in a pool to receive approx 2/3 of what you put in as opposed to 1/3 does feel much better, especially for the kids in the Mickey group.

Anyway, its just a thought, and if others don't agree and nothing changes we'll be fine with that also.

MoonDaughter - After I've counted my supplies I'll let you know by email if we can be included in the late comers group also. :thumbsup2

I will go with whatever the group decides even if that means kicking me off as FE captain and appointing someone else.

And I'm really sorry to all who are not part of the FE and don't want to see this anymore, but I just want to say this to those who are part of this:
There are 3 people (that I'm aware of so far) who are not happy with the job I've done as FE captain. All I can do is say I'm sorry and I did my best and I can't please everyone. The only reason why I did the group split this way is because there were many more who voted for 20-30 people and 30-40/40-50 people options than there were the options for 100 people or whole ship. If there are more of you who are not happy, I am not aware of it yet. I haven't even been on the FB page yet and now I'm kinda scared to. :rotfl: If any of you have the time and want to take this on I can step back and I am not upset and won't be upset at all. :goodvibes I just hope I'm not shunned around the ship because of this. :laughing: I really do like everyone and I did not mean to cause such a problem. And I'm sorry that those who started their projects or bought their supplies before the groups were finalized are so disappointed. I did try to advise against that because I didn't want something like this to happen. I just wanted to have fun and be as flexible as possible so no one would get stressed out about the FE and I've clearly done the opposite.

I do think we should find a different way to discuss this as it's not fair to those not participating in the FE to have to be a part of this too. Is there a way to do that? I'm not a fan of starting a new thread as it will still be public and not everyone is a fan of Facebook to start a private group there. I don't have another solution, but I'm completely open to finding a new avenue to discuss this and come up with a plan fair to all and spare others from this conversation. :goodvibes I have a million things to do today and then my crazy week starts, but I will try to be involved in what the new decision is as much as I can.

Promised myself I wouldn't comment anymore on the FE's, I'm really not trying to :stir:, but I just had an idea/thought :idea: I'd like to bounce off everyone. If the Tinkerbell group was split into multiple groups, and then the Mickey group added to each of those. The people in Tinkerbell that wanted to give to approx 50 people would still be in a single group giving to approx 50 people. The Mickey group giving to 100 and 100 + people would also still be giving to the same amount, but they would be in a larger receiving pool making things more fair. I don't think anyone is saying they HAVE to get what they put in, but being in a pool to receive approx 2/3 of what you put in as opposed to 1/3 does feel much better, especially for the kids in the Mickey group. Anyway, its just a thought, and if others don't agree and nothing changes we'll be fine with that also. MoonDaughter - After I've counted my supplies I'll let you know by email if we can be included in the late comers group also. :thumbsup2

That's a great idea! Not sure how the rest of the group feels, but shouldn't be too hard to switch them around... It's and idea! :)

So now that the FE update is out of the way I can socialize for a hot second.

Single Mom over here too! :wave2: :woohoo:

Good Grief! I'm suffering. :sick: My past 3 cruises had the schedule out in the first 6 months. I guess I've been spoiled too much by DCL.

I'm sorry you didn't get one. Do you want me to see if I can add you to my brunch since I'm by myself too? I'm at 10:30a on Tracy Arm day.

Thanks for organizing the FE groups I think for us it will be perfect. I'm worried about the amount of luggage we will be taking this time because my mom isn't coming on this trip. Not sure how helpful the 5 yo will be :sad2:

Oh I wasn't looking for a Palo booking, I was just posting what I found. I was online looking at some other things and saw I could look at Palo reservations for the whole trip all at once vs day to day.

FE gifts for the b2bers are almost finished! Now I just have to order my FE gifts for everyone else!

We're having a super mild winter and I'm jealous of those in the lower 48 who are getting our winter weather! Hopefully we'll have gorgeous weather for the cruise!

Hamm, you guys are on the list to contact MoonDaughter...did you do that?

Is everyone planning to bring US$ to tip room service and such? As a Canadian sailing out of a Canadian port I was just going to bring Canadian cash to tip but a post on the main board has me unsure if that will still be ok...

I prepaid our gratuities already, anything more I will charge to the room. I will probably hit up an ATM after we land to get some cash. I go to a credit union so they don't do money other than the US. :confused3

The cruise gods smiled on us and we are also confirmed and paid in full for the 5 nighter

My eye is healing and vision getting better every day but I am so tired of the eye drops

Find out this week when I can get the second eye done - of what Kara is calling my 'bad' eye

Nice! Does that mean you are doing the B2B?
Hey if you don't get the second eye done, you can always join in the Pirate crashers on Pixar night and wear and eye patch pirate:

Best,
Sarah

Hi Sarah! Did you make it to the FB page? I know there are some Sarah's there but not sure if one is you :welcome:

Next thing I need to figure out is if my Verizon plan covers Canada, I believe I'm ok in Alaska with the map. I just don't want to get nailed with talk or text charges because I forgot to check. If I need to I hope I can add on something to cover it then remove it when I'm home. Does anyone know?

Next thing I need to figure out is if my Verizon plan covers Canada, I believe I'm ok in Alaska with the map. I just don't want to get nailed with talk or text charges because I forgot to check. If I need to I hope I can add on something to cover it then remove it when I'm home. Does anyone know?

It looks like most of our route is covered (I'm verizon as well) Juneau for sure and it looks like some of the other cities. :)

Originally Posted by Marla Hellwig View Post

Nice! Does that mean you are doing the B2B?
Hey if you don't get the second eye done, you can always join in the Pirate crashers on Pixar night and wear and eye patch

Yes we are doing the B2B

ROFL - Kara fixed up my 'eye cage' that they put on before I left surgery - she put pirate duck tape on it. During the day I am wearing it on my bad eye and just using my good eye -

It looks like most of our route is covered (I'm verizon as well) Juneau for sure and it looks like some of the other cities. :)

Yup, I noticed that too, which is great. I like to check in every so often with family to let them know we are alive...not to mention in just HOURS I can get hundreds of emails and I cannot imagine what my inbox would look like if I didn't dump some of them along the trip haha. I'm sure my parents will want to know we made it to Vancouver safely, I just don't want to pay $50 for an international call :lmao: That would so be my luck!

Yes we are doing the B2B

ROFL - Kara fixed up my 'eye cage' that they put on before I left surgery - she put pirate duck tape on it. During the day I am wearing it on my bad eye and just using my good eye -

That's awesome. Another idea would be to walk around the ship like this :3dglasses and stare at things and as people walk by say "WOW! That really looks incredible!" :rotfl2:

PS: MoonDaughter I'm happy! I'm sorry that you are feeling bad. I have heard being the organizer can be rough but I thought we were doing well. :confused:

In regards to verizon cell phone usage. We have the complete US coverage plan and we live in AK. We've had no trouble using our cell phones when we travel throughout the state.

Hi Sarah! Did you make it to the FB page? I know there are some Sarah's there but not sure if one is you :welcome:

There are a few of us that waited until last minute rates come out :good vibes Welcome to the group

Welcome to the cruise!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I don't really use FB so no, not on there. Not a lot of time to plan since this was so last minute, but was able to book our on-board activities and excursions the same day we booked the cruise. Just need to book our flights and we're all set! Can't wait to be on-board!

In regards to verizon cell phone usage. We have the complete US coverage plan and we live in AK. We've had no trouble using our cell phones when we travel throughout the state.

good to know!

Question for everyone (I posted this on FB too), but how many of you got VGT fares?

I will go with whatever the group decides even if that means kicking me off as FE captain and appointing someone else.

There are 3 people (that I'm aware of so far) who are not happy with the job I've done as FE captain. All I can do is say I'm sorry and I did my best and I can't please everyone.
I hope you don't mean me, because I have never said I was unhappy with the job you have done, or that I wanted to kick you off as FE captain. I would never say such a thing. Yes it is a small group (although more than 3 that I've heard from) because it's only one of the groups that have a problem, the other two groups are fine as requested. I've tried to be supportive and non-critical in what I consider the most appropriate forum. Disboard meet group is for meeting others cruising together and arranging / planning activities together. MoonDaughter I hope you don't feel I have ever said or even implied you didn't do a good job, because that was never my intent. I think everyone knows how challenging it is to be FE captain, and is supportive of that. I only hoped we could have open conversation/discussion in the hopes of compromise or resolution. I sincerely hope you don't feel bad, for I never meant for that.

For those who still may not understand I'll try one more time to explain and then I'll be done for good. Imagine being in the Minnie group and being told you will only recieve from 3 staterooms or in the Tinkerbell group only recieving from 5 staterooms, and when you questioned it in the hopes of some compromise since this is not the size you had requested, you were told - well you don't have to give to the 10 staterooms or the 16 staterooms just give to the 3 or the 5 then. I think you would be disappointed, because it is missing the point. To put it another way, if you had requested a small group and found yourself in a large 40+ group, you would be disappointed. That's what happened to the large group. People saying they will give to 100+ are requesting a large group, because we enjoy participating in a large group. But unfortunately the way things worked out we were put in a small group, even smaller than the medium sized group. This is the fundamental reason for the disappointment. Its not about the giving or not giving, it's not about pre-purchased supplies or anything else.

I believe that if people requesting a large group had realized they would be put in a small group, they may have requested something different. I guess we will each decide how to proceed, whether to still give to all, or only to give to our small group, and to plan other things so our children are not disappointed.

As promised I won't post anymore as I feel like my attempt at explanation for understanding is being misinterpreted. Have a great cruise everyone!

And I'm really sorry to all who are not part of the FE and don't want to see this anymore, but I just want to say this to those who are part of this:
There are 3 people (that I'm aware of so far) who are not happy with the job I've done as FE captain. All I can do is say I'm sorry and I did my best and I can't please everyone. The only reason why I did the group split this way is because there were many more who voted for 20-30 people and 30-40/40-50 people options than there were the options for 100 people or whole ship. If there are more of you who are not happy, I am not aware of it yet. I haven't even been on the FB page yet and now I'm kinda scared to. :rotfl: If any of you have the time and want to take this on I can step back and I am not upset and won't be upset at all. :goodvibes I just hope I'm not shunned around the ship because of this. :laughing: I really do like everyone and I did not mean to cause such a problem. And I'm sorry that those who started their projects or bought their supplies before the groups were finalized are so disappointed. I did try to advise against that because I didn't want something like this to happen. I just wanted to have fun and be as flexible as possible so no one would get stressed out about the FE and I've clearly done the opposite.

I do think we should find a different way to discuss this as it's not fair to those not participating in the FE to have to be a part of this too. Is there a way to do that? I'm not a fan of starting a new thread as it will still be public and not everyone is a fan of Facebook to start a private group there. I don't have another solution, but I'm completely open to finding a new avenue to discuss this and come up with a plan fair to all and spare others from this conversation. :goodvibes I have a million things to do today and then my crazy week starts, but I will try to be involved in what the new decision is as much as I can.

Oh my, I had no idea all this was going on. I truly appreciate the job you have done and the time you have put into this and I am sorry that your feelings are hurt.

I had not expected this to happen, but if there is any re-arranging of groups, I volunteer to move to a smaller group, if there is one--getting a little worried about the luggage weight. I will be very honest, I have no kids traveling with me, and my gift is not necessarily geared to little ones and probably not something they will be terribly excited about.

That being said, if the groups stay the same, I am more than fine with that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter