• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAY 20TH WESTERN - 1ST CRUISE/ROY SUITE REPORT Updated with Pictures!

crazypom said:
wearegoingtodisney - thanks, I think they are pretty cute too! Congrats on your 4th. I have concluded that after the 4th a person may as well have 5 or 6 as the parents are seriously outnumbered!!! Lots of fun though :goodvibes I don't mind your question, everyone does know it costs alot. It was $13,500 for the 7 of us (thank goodness the cdn $ improved!!!!) minus a $200 credit + our bill at the end, + airfare.....ok, I have to stop thinking about it :rotfl: For us it was worth adding an extra week in orlando since we came a long way and the airfare was costly. I don't know if the cat 1's vary much from season to season. Even though it is an awful lot of money we really felt it was worth it to us and I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity.

mmhouse - concierge meet started as soon as we boarded in Sessions. They had some sandwiches, snacks, beverages and we met 2 of the three concierge staff. They went thru a list of information, most of which I knew from these boards. I had already booked brunch and dinner and signed the kids up online. At that point we really didn't want to book anything else until we got settled and thought about what we wanted to do. It is really hard to know that you want a galley tour on thurs at this point - at least for us! Did get the kids pager and clubs organized. It actually took longer than I would have liked as we had to wait for the counsellor and we were keen to get to the pool. I would actually skip it next time and go straight to the pool and head there later, it was "open" for quite awhile. We were able to add things later in the week with no trouble. We had a supply of water and various soft drinks throughout the week and they were replenished. If you were not an obsessive planner and reader of these boards like I am, the meet may have been more useful. But, like anything, it will depend on what you want to do during your cruise. Oh ya, they also had someone there from the spa if you wanted to book anything. They were very nice and welcoming and we were able to leave all our carry-ons there until later.
I think we had to be out of the cabin at 9am- we were out at 8:45 and Geronimo was ready to clean! His usual morning tidy took an hour he said and turn down 1/2 hour so I would bet a complete changeover takes awhile!
I am sure you will love it....what's not to love about being totally spoiled for a week :love:

Wow, that's really not as much as I thought that suite would be- it's really not all that high! When you consider that a cat 4 family stateroom (ie: very cramped in my opinion) is quite often over 10,000 (which is why we went with 2 cat 10 SPH rooms btw LOL) -what you paid isn't all that much more and you had a lot more room than a cat 4 and concierge/etc. Wow!

Oh and btw -earlier in the thread I read you mentioned your 9yr old with the 10-12yr olds and then again your "tips" mentioned keeping siblings together. Was your 9yr old almost 10? Or is that something they allow for anyone or just concierge guests? Just curious. Keeping our older two together probably would have been great our last cruise. He kept wanting to do the things she was doing in 10-12yr olds, NOT liking the stuff they were doing in his group (some of the time) and kept wanting to go to ocean quest and such. Plus if they'd been together, maybe they could have kept sign in/out privileges because of staying together if they did/etc.

DS9 had just turned 9 in February so was no where near the "cut-off" we had heard mentioned of "within a month of turning 10". We asked at the concierge meet and it was arranged no problem. I really don't know if they cut us more slack because of being in the suite or not but they did seem very interested in doing what the parent thought best for their family. For us it made the decision to allow more freedom easier as they were together. I think they were more comfortable to go to activities at first as they knew they had each other there.
We also, as you prob read, moved DD5 down to the 3-4 group to be with DS3, again a smart move as they prob would not have gone as much and enjoyed it if not together.
I think it is always worth asking, they certainly seem willing to accomodate as best they can.

yikes, if we go again in 2008 as planned DD11 will be old enough for the teen group - I however, will not be ready for that!!!!! :rotfl: (DS who would be 11 would definately stay in the 10-12!)

Thank you for your wonderful trip report. If you are interested in adopting me (35) and 2 more sons (13 and 10) just let me know - we will gladly share that suite with you :lmao:[/QUOTE]

eeyoregon - I will keep that in mind should I wish to add anymore family members. To do a repeat of the suite if may be worth considering!!! :rotfl:

I LOVED your report!

It made me want to book a cruise asap....and, of course, stay in the Roy Suite!

Fab Pics !! Your kids are so sweet. Glad to hear that you had a great time !! We are trying to cionvince my DH to go on a curise!!

XMrs MouseX

:sunny:

crazypom said:
Can't wait to hear about your southern cruise. We would like to do that but I would be so worried about the weather - isn't that right in the middle of hurricaine season?????

Hurricane season is from June 1st to Nov 30...isn't it? Not worried since I know cruise ships go around them. ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to write a glowing report! :love:

BethA said:
I think it would be nice if they sent those in Cat1-3, a letter explaining the concierge service and introducing themselves. On RCL they had an actual lounge with beverages and snacks where you could take out movies and games and actually speak to the concierge in person if need be. We might have used it if there were windows, but there was no view and the concierge always seemed tied up with someone "important" who monopolized his time.

If you have booked everything you need on DCL the meeting does waste a lot of your time. On our previous cruise they did have a small get together one late afternoon with drinks and appetizers up on deck. I think many who travel are unaware of things the concierge can do for you. i have learned different things here-never from them--for instance the parties they have put together in the suites, and ordering Palo dessert.

you'll love the suite--2 weeks to the Roy suite for us. it's always so hard to have the cruise end. We left our suite around 9 ater having a full breakfast delivered the last day--a suite perk. We kept the room neat, so i didn't feel I was putting Sompop behind and we were very generous with our tip since there is so much more to clean.
We loved Sampop when we cruised the Magic in 2004. We had Loel back in May of 2006 he was nice and did a great job but not as memorable as Sampop.

crazypom said:
Hi Mishetta, you should have knocked!!!! We did get several door bell rings and no one there - just kids playing in the hall!

Hello Lee, it was sure great wasn't it?? It was so nice that Mallory and Lauren hit it off so well, I know that made the trip more fun for her :goodvibes That was very funny about the arcade $, we had a good laugh, unfortunately at your expense (literally!!) It was a fun get together in the suite, glad we had a chance to do that as it was such a busy week.

OK, day 2, Key West. DMIL and I had been to KW before, about 20 years ago so we were all looking forward to it. Woke up around 6:30, kids all excited..."can we go to the club now??" Got room service for breakfast, it ws nice as we had a more complete menu being in the suite. In fact, we did this every day except the last and character breakfast day. DH did go to Lumierre's for breakfast once and enjoyed it. Kids loved the chocolate pancakes and choc chip muffins. We put in a standing order for coffee everyday which was awesome to have out on the balcony. The room service guys were great, Alvin and can't remember the other guys name - very funny and always set things up so nicely.
Kids off to their clubs, they absolutely loved them :love: I had really, really hoped for this so we would enjoy some free time and it worked out great. DMIL and I off to concierge meet on deck 10 (read free drinks and appys) and DH wandering the ship. Enjoyed 2 bahama mamas and snacks and met the 3rd member of the concierge Crunch. She was really a lovely lady!
Grabbed some lunch to have in the room for all before we headed off to Key West. My kids loved the fries, hot dogs, and chicken fingers, did not like the pizza!
PICT3558.jpg

PICT3563.jpg

Off we go to KW - can you say smokin hot! Didn't really have any set plans so just started walking. Found the aquarium shortly and needed a break from the heat so in we went. It was surprisingly good, didn't take too long, and had an informative tour. KIds enjoyed petting the nurse shark and DD5 found a "pet" she wanted to take home (no one else would touch the slimy, disgusting thing)
PICT3564.jpg

PICT3567.jpg

off we go again, DH really wants to see Margaritaville so we head off to Duval St. Had to stop in another block as it was so hot we needed ice cream (not a wise move in 90 degree heat and no shade to sit in!!)
Duval St was certainly a free education for the big kids, although not the kind you would want! I could hear the giggles and "oh, that's disgusting" as they peered in the shops. Whose idea was it to teach them to read?????
Came upon a rather large iguana and a sign saying "picture $10". Well, before I knew what was happening, the kids were on the bench, iguana, snake, 2 birds were on them and the guy is telling me $40 :furious: I don't think so......being the shrewd bargainer I am I got him down to $30 (can you say sucker) as by this point the kids are all screaming "get the picture". This guy was smooth - so he grabs my camera and starts snapping pictures as the iguana is inching ever closer to DS9's face! It all turned out ok, no animal injuries and a few cute pics!
PICT3574.jpg

Next we meet the Key West Gold man (freaked me and DH out) but kids thought he was cool.
PICT3582.jpg
Dropped some more money in his jar and got a picture and suckers for the kids - I had those things out of their hands and in the garbage so fast they didn't know what hit them :guilty: The big kids understood the safety implications but try to explain that to a 3 & 5 yo whose sucker you have just snatched from their hands!! And did I say it was smokin hot!!!!!! So far we have gone 3 blocks, spent a total of $80, made 2 little kids cry, and educated the big kids!!!! Are we having fun yet???? Off we continue to Margaritaville for a drink - "that's it????" we say, expecting something much more grand. Can't go in for a drink unless we order lunch which we've already had! Ok, time to rethink this, little kids are melting and we look at a map and realize we've only come a very short distance. DH and small kids head back to ship to swim (best idea of the day) and DMIL, big kids and I head for Ripleys Believe it or not. Again, a good idea, it is cool in here! They really enjoyed this and we spent about an hour before heading back to the ship. Note to self - skip KW with kids or do an excursion. Just walking thru the town was not worth it, although made worse because it was soooo hot and muggy (we are west coast canadians after all!)
Meet up with DH and small kids at pool, time for the drink of the day :cool1:
Which, I must say, were all very good!
Got ready for dinner, "do I have to wear that (DS9)". Tonight is AP - we really enjoyed the show and it was a surprise as I was the only one that knew what would happen.
PICT3601.jpg
Food was excellent again, Don (our server) already knows to offer 3 of the kids chicken fingers, fingerlings of chicken, or fingered poulet!!!! Only DS3 ordered anything else all week and it was pizza. After we got home DD11 tells everyone they had the best food ever on the ship :confused3
Did
dd 11th birthday celebration, the servers sang and she got a delicious large cake and a pin.
PICT3606.jpg
Kids off to clubs, me off to check out shutters. Very good pictures and I thought pretty well organized considering how many photos they must take!! Did end up with 2 8x10, 7 6x8, and a bunch of the small ones by the end of the week. Did not seem to find time to get a portrait done but did get the pirate night and ship background. (if you haven't already noticed I will hop all over the place!)
Picked up small kids around 9:30pm (they never sleep in so knew we had to get them to bed). Enjoyed a glass of wine on the balcony and watched two very large grey fish (sharks I think) swim under the spotlight (very cool). DH and I had planned to go back to KW for a drink but were just too tired.
Now, you know you are getting old when your DD11 and DS9 stay out later than you!!!! :guilty: They went to the boys and girls chill until 1am!!!! I don't know the last time I saw 1am since nursing a baby!!!!!! :rotfl: Here is me, asleep on the couch (good parent that I am) waiting for their return. At least I did wait on the couch, unlike DH who just went to bed!!!
A great first full day on the cruise, I already want to live here!!! :love:
Will try to get day 3 day done tonight, it is actually fun as makes me relive the cruise. Just think, a week ago today we were at Castaway Cay :guilty: :guilty:
we had don as our server back in 2004 also. he was really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter