May 2011 Code Watch

Well, oddly this whole discount announcement has had a negative psychological impact on my plans. We are booked rack rate garden room at the CR for May 11-15. Because it is our 10 year anniversary trip, I'd booked with full mindset that this was the price we were paying. It did make me go a little :rolleyes1, but I was prepared for it. Previously I've honestly never understood booking a room with the plan to cancel it if a discount doesn't come out...we've just always booked where we wanted to stay, and then gotten an extra bonus if a discount showed up.

But now...I don't know. May is not a peak time period, so I can't fathom why they blocked it out for this recent discount (but kept Memorial weekend?!). But mostly, knowing all these people around us are paying less, that rack rate price for our room suddenly seems even more insanely, unjustifiably sky high for a non-peak time period. I'm thinking, since we always get a rental car anyway, how I can get more luxury for less price if I stay at the new Waldorf Astoria next door to CBR...which so far has had pretty steep discounts. And I am SO not an off-property girl. Or heck, I could stay on property at the Swan/Dolphin for almost 1/2 the price.

It's almost like this whole massive discounting has just triggered a bad taste in my mouth. Whereas before, I had no intention of changing my reservation to save money, I am pretty close to jumping on the bandwagon of the "if a discount doesn't come out for our trip, I'm changing my reservation." I admit, I feel like a schmuck being that way, like I'm throwing a tantrum for being left out of the discount party, but it's more than that. Who knew all these discount/code things could have a negative impact? :confused3

I kind of feel the same way. We picked a time that is less busy. I am just so shocked that they have it blacked out. We are going to wait because I am hoping that by Nov. they will have released some deals for our timeframe. If not, we may move off-site also.

Well, I just booked my 2011 May vacation online. It took all of my information but my confirmation number says null. It said that I needed to call to confirm. I just tried to call and it said all circuits are busy. (Not surprised.) I do know that the $200 deposit came out of my checking account immediately though. I have to book a room only reservation for our arrival night as it wasn't covered until the promo. Still, I will be saving approximately $1,300.00!

Oh, this makes me so sad!! Why would they include Star Wars Weekends and when kids are out of school to include Free Dining??? :confused3

Man this stinks! This would have made me book my trip today!! :sad2: Come on code fairies, don't fail me now. :wizard:

Oh and BrookeL, we're in the same hometown. Small world. :cutie:

Well, oddly this whole discount announcement has had a negative psychological impact on my plans. <<respectfully snipped for brevity>>

Thank you for saying so eloquently what I've been feeling today.

My SO and I will be celebrating our 7th anniversary together and thought to go to WDW this May, as opposed to another destination. After this morning's announcement, I'm seriously reconsidering my decision. I've already likened it to waiting up for Santa all night, only to find that all the other kids got presents and you didn't. It kind of stinks that everyone else is saving hundreds of dollars, but we get to pay full price. That savings buffer could have gone for memorabilia or even a down payment for a future trip for us. Now, if we keep our reservations, it's back to penny pinching in the park.

My TA seems to think that something will open up in the months to come. I'm not so optimistic. I've tried to console myself with thinking that the crowds might be lessened because the only ones there, like myself, will be paying rack rates.

Up until this weekend, I was Disney crazy - I made window clings, tip envelopes, PTRs and got all my books and stuff. But now...I'm kind of blase about the whole thing and not motivated enough to even care if we go or not. For $3k, my guy and I can book a beautiful vacation to Europe, or Hawaii, or the Bahamas, or another vacation destination for a week. And that wouldn't depress me as much as this has.

This discount crap has left me disappointed and with a bad taste in my mouth with Disney in general.

I was momentarily so excited when I checked the boards this morning to find FD extended to 2011... then when I checked the dates, SHOCK. I kept checking again, like, how could May not be here?

Let's hold out hope that they will add something for May! Isn't this historically early to be offering disounts well into 2011? I'm going to keep my fingers and toes crossed for a good one... Makes me just a bit sad though, what do they have against May anyway?

:surfweb:

I agree with everyone. We are planning May 2-9th (our anniversary is on the 6th ~ 11 yrs) and I am just so surprised and let down about the dates. I can see no reason to excluding the beginning of May. I would have thought the dates they did choose would have been the LEAST likely dates to get discounts! Between Memorial Day/Star Wars Weekend/Gay Days/and many schools ending just before then, that they would not put a discount then.

I guess that is what I get for thinking that Disney is logical. :confused3

Add me to the shocked group that this Free Dining thing doesn't cover any of May except for Memorial Day weekend. We were going to wait until 2012 since we just went this past May, but we were ready to book this morning for 2011 if there was Free Dining for either the first or second week in May.

Why would you pick the busiest weekend of the month including Star Wars Weekends to offer Free Dining?

A little bummed, but still hopeful...we were already planning on staying in a value and trying to save money, so the original sticker shock was not too bad. Hoping for light crowds for the beginning of May!

Well, oddly this whole discount announcement has had a negative psychological impact on my plans . . . Previously I've honestly never understood booking a room with the plan to cancel it if a discount doesn't come out...

But mostly, knowing all these people around us are paying less, that rack rate price for our room suddenly seems even more insanely, unjustifiably sky high for a non-peak time period.

I hear ya but the way I figure it, I got the resort I wanted and it's booked-up and done. No waiting or wheeling and dealing.

I booked and paid in-full for 7 nights from April 30th to May 07th at CBR. I booked room-only with our plane tickets through Air Transat. The room worked out to around $197 Cdn per night including taxes(not far off the same total in USD, btw). Last weekend I paid $172 night (inc taxes) up here for a crappy little Holiday Inn Express....so I asked myself "is $25-30 per night extra worth it for a Disney resort?" my answer to myself was "yes" so I don't feel bad about the family next door at CBR that got a better nightly rate, they just lucked out. I'm satisfied.

Now, the free dining thing.....I'm a bit miffed on. If the free dining is offered during my dates after doing what I did, I'll be sad. We have no food booked at the moment, just room-only and no park tickets (was just planning to do a water-park and maybe one Disney park during the 7 night stay because we're headed on a Disney cruise after the stay and was just looking for relaxation)...but if it ends up being the same price anyway with dining, that'll suck.

If they do end up offering free dining for the first week of May, does anyone know about Air Transat and if they change (or just add more items to) bookings etc?

I'm heading to WDW in May with a Group of 7 adults, one 8YO, and 1 2YO, and a 17 month old, but we only want room discounts for the values. I sure hope they come out with something by thanksgiving as we want to be booked before the 6 month ADR window. :)

We are keeping our current package. I will be MORE upset if in Nov. they have blocked our dates from ANY discount. Even just a room only discount would help. If not we will cut our POP stay by 2 days and stay off-site for those days.

I feel the same exact way...totally bummed! We have never taken a Disney vacation of longer than 2 days, so all of this is new to me. We are hoping to go April 30 through May 6 to celebrate my graduation, and I'm REALLY hoping for some discounts as rack rates are ridiculous! I'm still hopeful, but feeling really let down this morning! :confused:

We should all be a-ok..........something will come our way, it has to. Looking at the historical discounts on Mousesavers for the dates I'm booked (5/10-5/24), there has always been *something*.

I am thinking that they have eliminated the lower periods from this promo b/c they will release more later. They have picked this promo for the busiest times b/c it will appeal to a MUCH larger audience (not everyone can travel in early/mid May). If all these people jump now and book, Disney knows they can count on the revenue. These people can book and are less likely to choose something else b/c Disney offered them a discount which they took. Versus, they are planning for next year, don't want to chance it with Disney, book someplace else, Disney then offers discounts, they are not going to change their plans. These dates have "Marketing Strategy" written all over them.

For us, there's a much lower population to target and they will only push out discounts if they aren't seeing reservations come in as they would like. And they know the time period is slower. Hang in there. :surfweb:

Well, oddly this whole discount announcement has had a negative psychological impact on my plans. We are booked rack rate garden room at the CR for May 11-15. Because it is our 10 year anniversary trip, I'd booked with full mindset that this was the price we were paying. It did make me go a little :rolleyes1, but I was prepared for it. Previously I've honestly never understood booking a room with the plan to cancel it if a discount doesn't come out...we've just always booked where we wanted to stay, and then gotten an extra bonus if a discount showed up.

But now...I don't know. May is not a peak time period, so I can't fathom why they blocked it out for this recent discount (but kept Memorial weekend?!). But mostly, knowing all these people around us are paying less, that rack rate price for our room suddenly seems even more insanely, unjustifiably sky high for a non-peak time period. I'm thinking, since we always get a rental car anyway, how I can get more luxury for less price if I stay at the new Waldorf Astoria next door to CBR...which so far has had pretty steep discounts. And I am SO not an off-property girl. Or heck, I could stay on property at the Swan/Dolphin for almost 1/2 the price.

It's almost like this whole massive discounting has just triggered a bad taste in my mouth. Whereas before, I had no intention of changing my reservation to save money, I am pretty close to jumping on the bandwagon of the "if a discount doesn't come out for our trip, I'm changing my reservation." I admit, I feel like a schmuck being that way, like I'm throwing a tantrum for being left out of the discount party, but it's more than that. Who knew all these discount/code things could have a negative impact? :confused3

I hear you on this one. Considering switching to Feb. we could save $1000 for going the same amount of days.

This year May discounts did not come out until January. I had no problem booking a room at poly in Jan even changed my dates the end of March no problem. It was not busy in May I'm sure get we will get discounts better than free dining, which I don't consider a great discount unless your staying value. Personally I wish they would just lower their prices and get rid of all their crazy discounting. I like to know way in advance what I can afford. Instead of holding out waiting for a discount to upgrade add more days etc ect.

I was told by a CM when I called that it could be because of the Epcot Flower and Garden show. Really that is considered a bigger event than Star Wars Weekends?

I'm torn on what to do. I really would like to save some money and we are doing the dining plan. Free dining saves us more that a 30% off discount that may come later. I'm just not sure how the Feb/March weather is or the crowds. I know May has low crowds and great weather. We were down in Dec of 09 and I was very disappointed with the weather. I don't want to be disappointed by the weather again.

I don't think you will see free dining during the flower and garden show. It's popular with the locals . Why would dis want the restauraunts full of non paying people.

I was told by a CM when I called that it could be because of the Epcot Flower and Garden show. Really that is considered a bigger event than Star Wars Weekends?

I'm torn on what to do. I really would like to save some money and we are doing the dining plan. Free dining saves us more that a 30% off discount that may come later. I'm just not sure how the Feb/March weather is or the crowds. I know May has low crowds and great weather. We were down in Dec of 09 and I was very disappointed with the weather. I don't want to be disappointed by the weather again.

I agree - the weather in Jan/Feb can get pretty cold - sometimes 40's and 50's - too cold for me. The crowd levels are GREAT but the weather is kinda something to avoid if you can.

This year May discounts did not come out until January. I had no problem booking a room at poly in Jan even changed my dates the end of March no problem. It was not busy in May I'm sure get we will get discounts better than free dining, which I don't consider a great discount unless your staying value. Personally I wish they would just lower their prices and get rid of all their crazy discounting. I like to know way in advance what I can afford. Instead of holding out waiting for a discount to upgrade add more days etc ect.

I am also hoping for the same. I remember booking for January in Nov and the discounts were NOT out yet for May. They came out in early March if I recall correctly - AND for 2010, it was almost the same price for me in May as it was in January (give or take a couple hundred dollars). I am holding out for something in May - and if not, will just be paying the rack rates I suppose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter