• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 18, 2013 Magic EBTA Part Two - From Tejas to España

Is it the pre-arrival guide where people are seeing linked dining and who they are sitting with? I can't see anything on mine, so does that mean I haven't been linked (or no-one wants to sit with us :rotfl2:)?

I'm not seeing anything either. We can be on the 'nobody wants us' table together. :lmao:

Has anyone actually taken the train from Paris Austerlitz to DLP? We were told that we need to cross a bridge to go the the Nord station and I am concerned about moving suitcases if there stairs etc. involved.

Plus, not to mention that there have been a lot of thievery going on in Paris.

My other option is to rent a car and leave it at the DLP train station.
Noel: We've taken the train to DLP. From where are you starting?

Woody

What is so sad about California is there used to be a wonderful transportation system. Remember the movie Who Framed Rabbit? So true what happened to the public transportation.

What is so sad about California is there used to be a wonderful transportation system. Remember the movie Who Framed Rabbit? So true what happened to the public transportation.
At the Getty Center, we saw an excellent exhibition on L.A.'s urban landscape, car culture, and architectural innovations. Overdrive

The exhibition highlights the Pacific Electric Railway, including original maps of the railway lines:

Los Angeles's public transportation system has been a source of fascination and frustration for generations. Established by real-estate developer Henry Huntington, the Pacific Electric Railway was once the largest interurban rail system in the world. Yet escalating levels of automobile ownership, longer riding times due to traffic, deferred maintenance, and declining profitability all contributed to its demise in the 1950s.

Pacific Electric

Woody

I'm not seeing anything either. We can be on the 'nobody wants us' table together. :lmao:

when I check my reservation I went to "my account" or onboard account - anyway at the bottom was a list of those with whom I'm linked - I assume that is the dining - and your on my list !!

At the Getty Center, we saw an excellent exhibition on L.A.'s urban landscape, car culture, and architectural innovations. Overdrive

The exhibition highlights the Pacific Electric Railway, including original maps of the railway lines:

Los Angeles's public transportation system has been a source of fascination and frustration for generations. Established by real-estate developer Henry Huntington, the Pacific Electric Railway was once the largest interurban rail system in the world. Yet escalating levels of automobile ownership, longer riding times due to traffic, deferred maintenance, and declining profitability all contributed to its demise in the 1950s.

Pacific Electric

Woody

I have also seen that exhibition. I was born in Southern California as was my father. He used to ride the "red" car. I also seem to remember the bus lane going down the middle of the San Bernadino freeway when I was a kid.

Has anyone actually taken the train from Paris Austerlitz to DLP? We were told that we need to cross a bridge to go the the Nord station and I am concerned about moving suitcases if there stairs etc. involved.

Plus, not to mention that there have been a lot of thievery going on in Paris.

My other option is to rent a car and leave it at the DLP train station.

Anyone?

I've only ever seen this possible from Gare Du Nord in Paris. I am not sure about leaving your car at DLP, but it may be possible - What are you doing after DLP, will you need to get to an airport as DLP to CDG will be via Gare Du Nord from memory.

Austerlitz and Gard Du Nord are connected via a train line so you can switch without leaving the station or you could jump in a cab - It's too far to work unless you really fancy a workout.

Last Call for Polos and Hoodies - If anyone would like to add to the order for Polos etc now is your last chance to shout. Please DM me with your email address if you would like more information.

We are taking the Elipso overnight train from Barcelona and get into Paris Austerlitz the next morning.

Noel: I think you mean Gare de Lyon rather than Gare du Nord.

From Gare d'Austerlitz, you can cross the bridge to Gare de Lyon to take the RER Line A train to DLP. Both train stations have escalators and elevators.

Woody

From Gare d'Austerlitz, you can cross the bridge to Gare de Lyon to take the RER Line A train to DLP. Both train stations have escalators and elevators.

Woody

Woody, you are correct it is Lyon (not Nord) which is a lot more reasonable walk.

I've only ever seen this possible from Gare Du Nord in Paris. I am not sure about leaving your car at DLP, but it may be possible - What are you doing after DLP, will you need to get to an airport as DLP to CDG will be via Gare Du Nord from memory.

Austerlitz and Gard Du Nord are connected via a train line so you can switch without leaving the station or you could jump in a cab - It's too far to work unless you really fancy a workout.

Woody

Woody, you are correct it is Lyon (not Nord) which is a lot more reasonable walk.

Thank you for the correction, Woody. Since we have luggage will it be easy to take a train or should we take a taxi in between the stations?

Ha ha, sounds great! Although you would have to put up with my two teenagers which might not be much fun for you! :rotfl:

Lol maybe not. Looks like I've got a better offer anyway. ;) :goodvibes

when I check my reservation I went to "my account" or onboard account - anyway at the bottom was a list of those with whom I'm linked - I assume that is the dining - and your on my list !!

Hmm, still can't find anything anywhere, but looking forward to meeting you on the cruise. :thumbsup2

Thank you for the correction, Woody. Since we have luggage will it be easy to take a train or should we take a taxi in between the stations?
Noel: That depends on how much luggage you have.

Walking -- If you travel light, can each carry your own bags, and don't mind walking, this would be the simplest way.

Taking a train -- You could take the Metro from Gare d'Austerlitz to Châtalet, walk to Châtalet Les Halles RER station, and catch the RER A from there. (It's one station before Gare de Lyon.) To do so, take Metro line 10, transfer to Line 7 at the Jussieu station, get off the Metro at Châtalet. Then walk along the connecting corridor from Châtalet to the RER station. IMO, this is NOT a good option -- these particular stations are huge and a logistical nightmare (they serve 5 metro lines and 3 RER lines). The walk alone to the RER station would take longer than if you crossed the bridge in the first place.

Taxi -- If you have more luggage than you can comfortably handle, a taxi is a good option.

Woody

Noel: That depends on how much luggage you have.

Walking -- If you travel light, can each carry your own bags, and don't mind walking, this would be the simplest way.

Taking a train -- You could take the Metro from Gare d'Austerlitz to Châtalet, walk to Châtalet Les Halles RER station, and catch the RER A from there. (It's one station before Gare de Lyon.) To do so, take Metro line 10, transfer to Line 7 at the Jussieu station, get off the Metro at Châtalet. Then walk along the connecting corridor from Châtalet to the RER station. IMO, this is NOT a good option -- these particular stations are huge and a logistical nightmare (they serve 5 metro lines and 3 RER lines). The walk alone to the RER station would take longer than if you crossed the bridge in the first place.

Taxi -- If you have more luggage than you can comfortably handle, a taxi is a good option.

Woody

Woody, sounds like a taxi is our best option.

Lol maybe not. Looks like I've got a better offer anyway. ;) :goodvibes

Hmm, still can't find anything anywhere, but looking forward to meeting you on the cruise. :thumbsup2

The names that showed up were David and Raymond Wickes, Jennifer and Dennis Owen, Margaret Sanders, Susan and Geoff Tchon and me Chris Hedemark.
I went to online check-in and then to onboard account - and the names were listed.

The names that showed up were David and Raymond Wickes, Jennifer and Dennis Owen, Margaret Sanders, Susan and Geoff Tchon and me Chris Hedemark.
I went to online check-in and then to onboard account - and the names were listed.

:cheer2:pirate:princess::thumbsup2:dance3:

Driving for 8 hours is basically unheard of in the UK - Some do it, most wouldn't even contemplate it - I baulked at the idea of driving from DFW to Galveston which is why I am flying to IAH first :)

LOL yeah I think that covers pretty much anywhere in Europe. People in the UK thought we where nuts on our vacation when we in a single day drove from Warwick to Inverness in a single day (hey it was supposed to be only an 8 hour drive). Than after a few days in Inverness we drove down to Sterling with a "small" side trip to Oban. From Stirling we a stones throw to Edinburg. We SERIOUSLY considered driving from Edinburg to Heathrow for our flight out, but after checking flights and times, either we had to start driving in the middle of the night or stay a night in London where we had started out and that meant we had a day less to spend in Greece with our friends there.

Reminds me of the scene in "L.A. Story" where Steve Martin drives about 20 feet in his driveway to get the mail.

Woody

I got a great real life story, close to that, a co-workers wife was going to get hubby lunch, she needed to deposit paycheck at the bank and get cash before she could get food.. The Bank was just across the street, you could throw a stone and hit their building and McD where she was heading to get lunch was one building over from us, almost closer than the bank. Yepp she took the car. Probably spent more time trying to cross the 4 lane street twice with the car as well in the drive through lane than if she would have walked...
Ohh she ordered a Double Cheeseburg, fries and a diet soda since they where on a diet... :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter