• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 18, 2013 Magic EBTA Part Two - From Tejas to España

DH was also interested in the chocolate alcohol tastings!:goodvibes. He really enjoyed the Grand Marnier tasting session at Epcot, so he thought he would give this a try! I go for most things chocolate!:goodvibes

Make sure you get signed up on the form :thumbsup2 Link is on this post

I was pleased seeing the Magic Fountain. It was more impressive than I expected.

It gets crowded, so be sure to take the usual precautions against pickpockets.

Woody

Thanks! It was more impressive than we thought it would be as well. My mother-in-law has never been, so it will be a first for her, and our youngest won't remember seeing it from before, so we are excited to take them again. Planning on not having anything with us but my new PacSafe (across body). Last time I carried our little one in her sling, and kept money in my shirt, so money was definitely protected then LOL. Wish I could still squeeze her into a sling this time. I might anyway - crowds are not my favorite.

Just a little word of warning for those who are heading to Paris after the cruise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22098102

Also beware around the Las Ramblas area, it's "gangs" of eastern europeans migrants and they are expert in removing items from you. It happens all over the world, however I had a friend who managed to catch them at it on the Paris metro from robbing her father, however they got away with the lot.

Some tips given to me were, when on a bus or tube was to take a seat, it's harder to take wallets etc whilst seated and keep any bag or wallet away from the people standing in the open bus/tube.

Hope this doesn't happen to you, however I have seen an upset traveller explaining it to DCL at Barcelona. Forewarned is forearmed.:crowded:

Thanks for those reminders!! You two might could give me your honest two cents. Our plan post-cruise is to take the bus to Columbus Monument, then walk up Ramblas to around Liceu to meet some WBTA '11 folks for coffee. Planning on each having one backpack and hopefully just one roller bag (or two) total for our group of five - backpacks allow our hands to be free to focus on the little one (older sister is fine). Being early Saturday morning, do you think this is okay? Just being extra aware of our surroundings? Then either metro or continue walking just north of Pl Catalunya to our apartment (can do a bag drop, checkin at 2:00 - but I don't feel comfortable with bag drop if cleaning crew there).

MandyGirl said:
Thanks! It was more impressive than we thought it would be as well. My mother-in-law has never been, so it will be a first for her, and our youngest won't remember seeing it from before, so we are excited to take them again. Planning on not having anything with us but my new PacSafe (across body). Last time I carried our little one in her sling, and kept money in my shirt, so money was definitely protected then LOL. Wish I could still squeeze her into a sling this time. I might anyway - crowds are not my favorite.

Thanks for those reminders!! You two might could give me your honest two cents. Our plan post-cruise is to take the bus to Columbus Monument, then walk up Ramblas to around Liceu to meet some WBTA '11 folks for coffee. Planning on each having one backpack and hopefully just one roller bag (or two) total for our group of five - backpacks allow our hands to be free to focus on the little one (older sister is fine). Being early Saturday morning, do you think this is okay? Just being extra aware of our surroundings? Then either metro or continue walking just north of Pl Catalunya to our apartment (can do a bag drop, checkin at 2:00 - but I don't feel comfortable with bag drop if cleaning crew there).

How early will you be walking La Rambles? Back in 2010, I was on the first Med cruise and went for a run there early Saturday morning and no one was out..it was dead! I don't remember the exact time I went but early enough that I ran, showered and made it to the Magic by 11:30.

How early will you be walking La Rambles? Back in 2010, I was on the first Med cruise and went for a run there early Saturday morning and no one was out..it was dead! I don't remember the exact time I went but early enough that I ran, showered and made it to the Magic by 11:30.

Literally when we disembark in Barcelona -- about 9:00? Aiming to meet at 10:00 at restaurant (indoors). Disperse by 11:00ish I'm sure because they will be itchin' to board the Magic for their Med cruise. So we would be in our apartment vicinity by noon (off Ramblas for sure by noon).

So I have been in contact with this tour company but hadn't booked anything yet (I was still holding out on my sister coming) but realize I need to book it. I was looking at the costs for a group vs. private tour for the
http://www.barcelonadaytours.com/barcelona-montserat/ tour on June 1st.

1. I remember someone mentioning this, is anyone doing it and are you doing private or the group?

2. I was quoted 775 Euro for 9 of us for a private tour, since only 5 of us are going plus the baby now, if we decide to go the private route, would anyone with kids want to join us? We would have a 3 yo and 4 month old on the tour.

3. What is everyone doing in Barcelona? I kinda dropped the ball on this tour....

We're using them. For their Barcelona City Tour I believe. At 8:30 June 1st. Not terribly sure what we're doing the day after, but Monday we'll be heading to London for a few days.

. . . You two might could give me your honest two cents. Our plan post-cruise is to take the bus to Columbus Monument, then walk up Ramblas to around Liceu to meet some WBTA '11 folks for coffee. Planning on each having one backpack and hopefully just one roller bag (or two) total for our group of five - backpacks allow our hands to be free to focus on the little one (older sister is fine). Being early Saturday morning, do you think this is okay? Just being extra aware of our surroundings? Then either metro or continue walking just north of Pl Catalunya to our apartment (can do a bag drop, checkin at 2:00 - but I don't feel comfortable with bag drop if cleaning crew there).
I am extra cautious about Barcelona, and here's why.

We were on the 2010 Disney Magic EBTA, which had an overnight in Barcelona. So the ship arrived on a Thursday, Friday was a port day, and we disembarked Saturday morning.

On Friday, after a day of sightseeing, we returned to the ship and heard multiple stories of people being pick pocketed in Barcelona. People lost money, wallets, and cameras.

So I encourage everyone to take all the usual precautions in Barcelona.

Your plans sound fine. The bus to the Columbus Monument will likely be very crowded, but you should be fine since it will be filled with cruise passengers and cast members.

It's an easy walk from the monument to the Liceu, though you will encounter some rough cobblestones before you get to Las Ramblas.

After your coffee break, I recommend walking (if you're up to it) rather than taking the metro. It's only one stop from Liceu to Plaça Catalunya. But more importantly, by walking, you can avoid the stairs/escalators/elevators and crowds in the metro stations. In 2010, one couple had a camera bag stolen (with photos of the cruise and ports) as they bought metro tickets from a machine at a station on Las Ramblas. IMO, you can control your surroundings and personal space better while walking on Las Ramblas than while taking the metro, especially with luggage.

Woody

Your plans sound fine. The bus to the Columbus Monument will likely be very crowded, but you should be fine since it will be filled with cruise passengers and cast members.

It's an easy walk from the monument to the Liceu, though you will encounter some rough cobblestones before you get to Las Ramblas.

After your coffee break, I recommend walking (if you're up to it) rather than taking the metro. It's only one stop from Liceu to Plaça Catalunya. But more importantly, by walking, you can avoid the stairs/escalators/elevators and crowds in the metro stations. In 2010, one couple had a camera bag stolen (with photos of the cruise and ports) as they bought metro tickets from a machine at a station on Las Ramblas. IMO, you can control your surroundings and personal space better while walking on Las Ramblas than while taking the metro, especially with luggage.

Woody

Thank you, Woody! We were hoping to avoid the metro with luggage. We've walked just down to Liceu previously, just not the lower section. I think the coffee break at Liceu as we are walking up that way will be a good break for DMIL, helping us completely avoid the metro.

Someone on our WBTA 2011 had a bag stolen as she waited outside her hotel for her cab in Barcelona. :( And she is a worldly traveler.

We are planning on the same in reverse to embark the next cruise. Surely a Tuesday after 10:00am checkout is just fine as well to Columbus Monument / port bus.

Be sure to sign up if you're interested.....this class will be a go.....we've already got 19 signed up......yummy.......and fun! Although I'll probably have to pass off the whiskey to DH, I'm just not a whiskey kind of girl....Lol

Submitted form for tasting (3 of us). Just let me know if you need anything else. This is exciting!

Question for everyone, last cruise I did buffet for most meals. I am planning on doing some of the sitdown lunch and breakfast as well as room service cake and breakfast. What do you normally tip on these? Not sure what I should bring per person.

Woody - great tips! I'm a city person - I'm always on alert ! Thanks for sharing this .
I have a money belt I wear under my shirt. I have a pacsafe bag w/wallet - both have REID- the bag I wear across my body. I think there are special bags for cameras - I don't carry one- so -someone knowledgeable might have some safety tips.
And probably the best tip - is to be aware of your surroundings - any crowded areas are prime for pickpockets - just don't have anything on you that can be "picked" !!!

no docs for me in Chi today..:worried:

As far as Spain, after the cruise...we have 4 days in Spain..
Since we did HOHO last time, I missed the Magic Fountain, Picasso museum, chocolate museum. I want to go to Girona, and Dali Museum - Figueres.. I am going on the train and on our own..
that is strange - I did all of those things from the HOHO...well - the chocolate museum wasn't much to write home about. Personally i would skip it. (unless you are into religious art done in chocolate!). The Picasso Museum was pretty interesting, a short walk in the Gothic section as I recall. Magic Fountain - once you get to the top of the hill, you can walk down to the fountain. However the view from the top was prettier in my opinion.

Question for everyone, last cruise I did buffet for most meals. I am planning on doing some of the sitdown lunch and breakfast as well as room service cake and breakfast. What do you normally tip on these? Not sure what I should bring per person.
You don't have to tip at all...Room service and Palo are the only groups that do not get part of your tip for dining services. I usually take singles for room service, but you can put it on the room ticket (just a delivery confirmation - no charge).

Barcelona must have changed a lot since 2010, I walked all over the city, carried camera in hand and wallet in pocket. Never had any issue. That being said - I spend a good amount of time in cities, and don't let folks get near to me unless I have to, then I keep my hands on my stuff. I suggest that you do NOT use your back pockets for anything, any purse or bag should be carried in front of you. Backpacks are asking for theft IMO - they are easily opened or cut. Manpurses are the way to go or a small messenger bag if you have to carry a lot of stuff. Anything carried "behind" you should be stuff you aren't worried about having taken. I have spend a lot of time walking around cities (Berlin, Seattle, Vancouver, NYC, Jersey City, and many others) I can honestly say the only time I have had an issue was in San Francisco - my ATM card number was hijacked. Took me a while to get it straightened out (when I got to Seattle about 2 weeks later). Other than that, I have been pretty lucky I guess.
Cayla

Morning Everyone,

As the cruise gets nearer, I am starting to think how on earth can I speak to people when I can't even remember the names, I would hate too seem rude and I am sure I have sent people PM messages to the wrong name. Is there somewhere we could have a list of Dis names against actual names. I for one will find this easier onboard. It can't just be me, on a previous transatlantic we were standing next to a couple whilst waiting to disembark who struck up a conversation only to realised they had been chatting for months previous, although didn't attend the same events onboard. :grouphug:

I am off on vacation to Venice for a long weekend so may not be around for a few days, if anyone needs some info just ask and I shall find out what I can.

Thank you, Woody! We were hoping to avoid the metro with luggage. We've walked just down to Liceu previously, just not the lower section. I think the coffee break at Liceu as we are walking up that way will be a good break for DMIL, helping us completely avoid the metro.

Someone on our WBTA 2011 had a bag stolen as she waited outside her hotel for her cab in Barcelona. :( And she is a worldly traveler.

We are planning on the same in reverse to embark the next cruise. Surely a Tuesday after 10:00am checkout is just fine as well to Columbus Monument / port bus.

Could your MIL not take girls on metro and you and curt hike up las rambles with luggage?

Morning Everyone,

As the cruise gets nearer, I am starting to think how on earth can I speak to people when I can't even remember the names, I would hate too seem rude and I am sure I have sent people PM messages to the wrong name. Is there somewhere we could have a list of Dis names against actual names. I for one will find this easier onboard. It can't just be me, on a previous transatlantic we were standing next to a couple whilst waiting to disembark who struck up a conversation only to realised they had been chatting for months previous, although didn't attend the same events onboard. :grouphug:

I am off on vacation to Venice for a long weekend so may not be around for a few days, if anyone needs some info just ask and I shall find out what I can.

There is one on facebook, on the website there is not many dis names to real names, I have a good number from doing the fe group so here goes:

stephenkay Stevie
disneymousehouse Beverly
ejeG Eje
goofynewfie Chris and Kim
mandygirl Mandy and Curt
padalyn Cayla
halloween_gryl Cathy
binkytell Sarah and Brian
Kris3kid Kris
heatherb819 Heather and Michael
wickesy David
twopeasonepod Lauren and Tony
ladyshopper Jody
tubbsteruk Paul and Helen
wvurunner Emily and Michael
gonecrusin Susan
grandma x3 Chris
woody73 Woody
jenden Jennifer and Dennis
margaretstahl Margaret and Jack
jaimelemer Melaine
saracat Sara and Terry
birkner Noel and John
jimmyl47 Jimmy and Judith
kirbo Kirsten and Mark
kaseyc Henrietta
geffric Susan
missandrea Andrea
gramfrom Jacquie
lynsand Lynn
kyrasmommy Erica
auntgram Gay
yvet Yvet and emiel
yorkshire disney fan Eric
wildel1021 Ellen and Mike
thepedersonfamily Melissa and Jeff
mboekhoff Missy and Ross
deeslack Dee and Nigel
hmhaase Hope and Aaron

i still need cabin numbers for FE exchange from the following, if any of you guys have received your cabin numbers please let me know. I'm still waiting so I know others will be too.​

Binkytell
AashleySEG
Missandrea
Goofy39.3
Squirrel956
Farnmor
Rddoll
Thepedersonfamily
Nancyelew
Themonkeylady
Cabinfever2013
Snowwhite7
The eighthdwarf
Princess monkey
Jhill10428
1stdc2013
Rayofredondo (Katie)

Could your MIL not take girls on metro and you and curt hike up las rambles with luggage?

Love her, but no. I'd feel safer sending Beth on the metro with the 6- and 2- year olds. :rotfl2: She'll be fine making the walk - we will just take it slow anyway. This is her first trip outside the US (other than our wedding cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and family reunion cruise for Alaska). I think she is going to be able to pack in one roller bag.

Love her, but no. I'd feel safer sending Beth on the metro with the 6- and 2- year olds. :rotfl2: She'll be fine making the walk - we will just take it slow anyway. This is her first trip outside the US (other than our wedding cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and family reunion cruise for Alaska). I think she is going to be able to pack in one roller bag.

Rofl Beth is as dizzy as they come, your poor Mil comparing her to an 11year old lol, but yeah I understand ��

We're looking at apartments to stay in barcelona till June 6th, Brian has got time off the other side, we could always look at transfer vans to drop us all off with luggage first thing then head to meet hazel and annemarie.

Rofl Beth is as dizzy as they come, your poor Mil comparing her to an 11year old lol, but yeah I understand ��

Yep - this is her first time to a non-English speaking country. She'll be fine, but even in the US has not traveled much by herself. Always with Curt's dad doing the navigating. (Still can't believe he's sitting this one out) I told Sarah that her first year in dual language will be put to use on this trip, so pay attention at school!

We're looking at apartments to stay in barcelona till June 6th, Brian has got time off the other side, we could always look at transfer vans to drop us all off with luggage first thing then head to meet hazel and annemarie.

Yay for Brian's time off! I think we will be just fine with luggage. If stopping at the place we had talked about with H & A, they have a separate room they use for private groups that may be vacant and roomy. Our apartment is about a block from Casa Batllo (metro Passeig de Gracia) so not that far of a walk.

Just a little word of warning for those who are heading to Paris after the cruise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22098102

Also beware around the Las Ramblas area, it's "gangs" of eastern europeans migrants and they are expert in removing items from you. It happens all over the world, however I had a friend who managed to catch them at it on the Paris metro from robbing her father, however they got away with the lot.

Some tips given to me were, when on a bus or tube was to take a seat, it's harder to take wallets etc whilst seated and keep any bag or wallet away from the people standing in the open bus/tube.

Hope this doesn't happen to you, however I have seen an upset traveller explaining it to DCL at Barcelona. Forewarned is forearmed.:crowded:

The apartment management group we are using to rent our Paris apartment just sent out an email with a pickpocket warning for Paris. It seems it's getting worse and/or the thieves are getting more aggressive.

Be sure to sign up if you're interested.....this class will be a go.....we've already got 19 signed up......yummy.......and fun! Although I'll probably have to pass off the whiskey to DH, I'm just not a whiskey kind of girl....Lol

Already did... as soon as you posted the form, I was on it. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter